PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning under deck

CNE
03-21-2004, 09:47 AM
I saw a little yellow plastic adapter somewhere last year that screws on the end of a waterhose. It is flat on the end and it hooks under the edge of your deck. Theory is, engage the blades, turn on the water, and the blades sling the water around hard enough to clean the underside and the blades. I have done this with just the hose and it really works. Especially if it is done before too much builds up. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows where I can get one.

metro-hp_48
03-21-2004, 09:55 AM
Never heard of that. Guess that's the "learn something new everyday" lesson for today.

club54
03-22-2004, 12:32 AM
WHAT I DO IS GET A PAINT SCRAPER GET IT OFF WITH THAT NEVER USE WATER ON MY EQUIPMENT

Runner
03-22-2004, 01:15 AM
Exactly. Then, you're not blasting the grease out of your bearings.

Phishook
03-22-2004, 01:33 AM
My JD push mower has a place on top the deck to hook a hose up to. It worked, but you have to do it right after you cut.

NEPSJay
03-22-2004, 04:13 AM
Ive heard of alot of people spraying wd40 under a clean deck... then after you're done mowing, you just spray it w/ water and it supposedly comes right off. Never tried it personally though.

IndyPropertyCare
03-22-2004, 05:30 AM
Dont use chemicals that will harm the turf you are cutting ( WD40) etc. I have an all natural blend of deck saver I use that is eco friendly and helps keep your deck clean.

Yes, folks.... just 3-easy payments of 49.95 and this stuff can make life easy for cleaning your mower decks.... LOL just kidding. :p

GarPA
03-22-2004, 06:12 AM
I;ve tried all the products even the ones that are made for this very reason...the only one I find that works is called "Jungle Jack and paint scraper"...

MoDeck works ok but it still gets a build up but it does make scraping job easier than if you didn't use it

CNE
03-22-2004, 08:25 AM
All my equipment has sealed bearings, water can't wash the grease out. Water is no worse than wet grass as far as rust is concerned. It really works good after cutting rye. Just some info for you guys, nobody twisting any arms here. I was just wondering if anybody had heard of this product. I guess I could install a fitting in the top of the deck.

John at JDH Select
03-22-2004, 09:03 AM
True, or not??? I've been told by the dealer that spraying water under the deck while the blades are engaged may stretch the belts. I imagine this is directly related to the amount of water being applied. What do you think?

Tvov
03-22-2004, 09:06 AM
We've tried that off and on over the years. You have to do it right after mowing, and it makes more of a mess of the shop area than scraping, and we always would end up scraping out the corners anyways. In the amount of time to use a hose, including cleanup, we found that scraping was about the same.

You don't really need a special attachment, just engage the blades and direct a stream of water under the deck, does the same thing.

I don't think water under the deck is going to hurt anything. Considering how wet everything gets when we have to mow in the rain!

dishboy
03-22-2004, 09:56 AM
If you run the machine for a minute with blades engaged before mowing WD- 40 or CRC will not harm the turf in my experiance.

The Captain
03-22-2004, 10:47 AM
I've seen the "Little Yellow Thing" you're talking about on eBAY. It attaches to the side of the deck and a garden hose attaches to it. If I remember right, there is a disclaimer of sorts saying it won't fit or won't work on "z"s and other commercial mowers. Last year there were a lot of posts about using a cooking spray such as Pam the reduce clipping build up. Do a search, check it out and draw your own conclusions.

The Captain

LawnMower
03-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Sometimes Ill ride over a shallow puddle of water with the blades on. You wont believe the amount of crap the this removes.

But I bet it forces water into bad places this way. I had to replace a bearing last year.