PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Decision

ken50
03-21-2004, 10:05 AM
What a week! Divorce was final Wednesday, ending a 20 years marriage, then i got layed off from a company that is downsizing after 18 years of service, 32 years in the business. Good news is, it HAS to get better, right???

Anyway, I don't want the corporate s_hit any more, so am, and already had been thinking of, getting into the lawn care business. I already have a 2 1/2 acre cemetery that I can do, but really want to focus on residential. All I have is my homeowner equipment, so will virtually have to buy everything new. I was thinking 36" WB to start, but wouldn't that take forever on the cemetery then? How long would you say it would take? There are about 150 graves there, probably all on about an acre of the property...terrain is pretty good, not a lot of loose rocks, sunken graves, etc. What would you get if you had one mower to buy? I have a Cub Cadet dealer right around the corner that seems pretty good.....

Thanks

jajwrigh
03-21-2004, 10:13 AM
If I had to buy one...a ZTR maybe a 48" so I could safely manuever between all of the head stones. Just a thought!

ken50
03-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Would the 48" ZTR be better for residential also? Is it faster if there are lots of trees, or would a WB be better then? I have read some posts on here saying the ZTR's will tear up the turf..is that just user problems? We have a lot of St Augustine here...some Bermuda.

Thanks for the help!

Bunton Guy
03-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I would look around and find a used 48" walk behind mower hydro if your budget allows. A 48" is kind of a happy medium. Not to big not to small it should fit between headstones and should do just fine for most residential average sized yards.

terracare
03-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Go with the 36" WB! Since it is your first year you wont have to spend alot of money for a 36" as you would for a rider. it may take a long time to do the cemetery but as long as you can get it done in one day you should good. You will also be able to use the 36" on practicality every lawn you can get, front and back.

PS go with a hvdro if possible!

Ed

metro-hp_48
03-21-2004, 10:40 AM
A 36" (@80% efficiency) would cut 2.5 acres in around 2.5 hrs @ 3.5 mph. (48" would be just less than 2 hrs)

lawndude2004
03-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I would go with nothing smaller than a 48". This business is about time and profits. The larger area you cover per pass adds up after a day or week of work. Go with a walk-behind to start out on--they are alot more versatile than a z turn, and they can be bought at cheaper prices. As far as brands go, I stick with exmark, hustler, and scag.

Liberty Lawncare
03-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Hi Ken50 I have been scapin for 14 years got sick of bosses also. I started my own last year. I have a new Lesco 48 belt drive walk behind.Buy a new mower if you can it is your most important purchace. Do yourself a big favor measure the distance between the headstones and do not forget to add alot of time for trimmer work in the priceing.I have found riders (ztr) do chew the turf. Smaller or obsticle course residential lawns are best with a walk behind.Customers do not like chewed up turf fast way to loose them I take them!

ken50
03-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Y'all are giving me great iformation, I don't know what I would do without this site....keep it coming!

Thanks!