PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Season Mowing

landscapingpoolguy
03-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey guys,

This year I sent out a letter to all my Maintenece customers(about 50) that prices were going up and that I have switched to a basic monthly flat fee instead of by the cut service...Most of these people I have had for 2 - 3 years...majority on the falt rate system already.I sent these letters along with contracts.....Now because of my overheads and gas goin up everyday...I have to do it this way in order to balance out my budget monthly...I have only gotten 7 contracts back...now I dont even like grass but I do it because I do get other work from it..mulch, design, installs, etc....I was also thinking of dropping the grass because I make way more money doin installs, and am not chasing people for money either when I do installs. Any of you guys in this perdicament.....I have no idea if its my prices or people are just lazy sending back stuff to me......but I am getting worried because I have some expensive ztr's that im paying for and they are not making any money...

Chuck

qualitylandscaping
03-21-2004, 11:30 AM
There is still snow on the ground.. Give it a few more weeks.. Try to put a "send contract back to me by 3/20/03 to make sure we can reserve a place for you on our route".. That makes them think that if they send it back late, your route might already be full.. Got all of my contracts back (except 5 or 6 who moved or couldn't afford me anymore).. Give it another week and then start calling.. Remind them that you need the contracts back as soon as possible.

landscapingpoolguy
03-21-2004, 11:36 AM
I was gonna start calling people this afternoon....all the snow pretty much melted this weekend here

Chuck

Lux Lawn
03-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Chuck

Thats what I do when I don't hear from people pick up the phone and call them.

WeatherMan
03-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Just drop the mowing and just do installs. sounds like thats what you want to do anyway.

aries
03-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Start calling everybody for their contracts if thats waht you really want but like weatherman said I think you might have made your decision already goodluck!

Joe

Roger
03-21-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't use a contract, but do want a commitment from the customer before the season starts. I expect mowing to begin about April 1, so I send out a letter about Mar 10. The last paragraph says "negative responses only." In other words, here is the deal for the season, if you DO NOT like what I've said, then you are responsible for making contact. If I get no contact, I'm good to go when the season begins.

When I started a few years ago, I too asked for positive responses, "... let me know if you want me to continue." That was hopeless. Few people responded. The rest waited until after the mowing started, "... hey, where are you, aren't you going to mow my grass this year?" This arrangement was no good - I couldn't develop my customer list before starting the season. Now, I can be very sure. This year, I sent out 48 letters, got one "no."

Expert Lawns
03-21-2004, 05:13 PM
I've learned that you have to call these people. Lawn care isn't exactly on their mind yet. You own the business therefore are more in tune with start dates and staying on top of things. Might want to call them before their front door gets stuffed with flyers from other LCOs.

Turfcutters Plus
03-22-2004, 06:03 PM
I call everyone mid february.The early bird gets the worm!!

qualitylandscaping
03-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I've learned that you have to call these people. Lawn care isn't exactly on their mind yet. You own the business therefore are more in tune with start dates and staying on top of things. Might want to call them before their front door gets stuffed with flyers from other LCOs.

Well said expert:)

jajwrigh
03-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Definately follow up with everyone! This can be a scary time of year when you know your overhead and sometimes your unsure of where all of your customers stand!