PDA

View Full Version : looking for feed back on the cub cadet m-60

airtime
03-21-2004, 12:26 PM
looking at buying a 60" ztr mower. cub cadet, exmark, scag, and grasshopper are my choices. cub cadet is running a special on the m60 tank, 27 hp kohlor motor, $6995 0% financing for 36 months. all the other mowers are in the 8 to 9000 dollar range. what do yaw think about the cub. regular price on the m60 is $8400. thanks gerald

Grass Master
03-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Average mowers at best. If you have Lesco in your area you can buy the same machine for less money.

But......spend a little more and get the top of the line!!

airtime
03-21-2004, 02:07 PM
the 6995 price vs 8900 is a big factor as well as the 36 month no interest financing. but i don't won't to have a bad mower either

wriken
03-21-2004, 02:26 PM
as good as any on the market, I have a 48" w/b hydro, a m-60 tank, 23 hp kaw, and a m-72 28 hp generac. the 48 w/b is leaving soon to trade in for a m-60 w/27 kohlor, there's a rebate for the kohlor motor, till the end of the month. I have had great luck with the mowers, alot of people don't like the cub, for I don't know why, but there pretty much all the same mowers on the market as of now. Who knows if the exmark dealer closer to me then my cub dealer, was'nt a P***K, I could be running their brand.

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 05:29 PM
I bought a MTD Pro MZ54 (same machine as a Cub Tank) in 1998. It will last just as long as any of the other brands. We upgraded to a Kubota ZD21 two years ago. The kubota will out cut the MTD easily. We still use the MTD as our Fert. and spray machine. Its never had a break down.

wriken
03-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
I bought a MTD Pro MZ54 (same machine as a Cub Tank) in 1998. It will last just as long as any of the other brands. We upgraded to a Kubota ZD21 two years ago. The kubota will out cut the MTD easily. We still use the MTD as our Fert. and spray machine. Its never had a break down.

is it the stamped deck on the mz54, the fab decks are alot better.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by wriken
alot of people don't like the cub, for I don't know why
Just a guess, but I'd say their is no "why" as in they have never even tried one. Well that and normally they are pretty pricey. I kinda darted back and forth during my shopping. I liked the M-60 but not the M-48 due to the 48" rear track width. They also felt like the seat height was a bit high. Neither of the Cub dealers wanted to let me demo either. So I decided for the money, taking the gamble on the Cub was not for me.

Then later I discovered the Lesco Z2 and all Lesco mowers were on sale a the time. So I went to a Lesco 75 +/- miles away. They offered me a deal that in hindsight I should have taken, but I walked due to the distance involved if I had warrenty repairs, they didn't have the mower in stock, and I hadn't demoed yet.

Anyways, I'm not so sure anymore about the seat height thing. It was higher and it felt/looked like the center of gravity wasn't as low as other brands. But I have been surprised at pictures of hills I seen that they mow. Maybe I was wrong.

In any event, if I'm ever in the market for a 54" 60" or 72" mower I will be taking a Cub/Lesco in the field to see how it measures up.

$6,995 is not bad at all....plus 0% for 3 yrs???
Sounds like a no-brainer to me. You should demo one and see how it compairs.

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
is it the stamped deck on the mz54, the fab decks are alot better.
It was a stamped deck. Thats all they made back then. We dont use it for mowing anymore. But it is a well built machine .

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Ahhhh!!!! Now I'm stuck trying to find those pictures. The one I remember was a picture of a larger white house up on a hill with a black Murray rider sitting next to it, the grass was not the best but it was striped and the hill looked like a challenge.

Anyone know what I'm taking about? I hate when this happens. It like when you can't remember where you know someone from.
....well almost. :o

lawnrangers
03-21-2004, 07:11 PM
the tanks are pretty good machines,i have had 2 and still have one.i would probably still be running tanks,if it wasnt for my PITA dealer... now i run hustlers,they will out cut the tank. but the tank does not measure up to the hustler,in any way...

Sam-Ohio
03-21-2004, 07:21 PM
1. The Cub Tank hydro drive system was changed to Hydro Gear pumps and separate TRW-Ross wheel motors about 4 years ago. - this is the same combination of components found in about 90% of all the Z's out there.

2. The Cub Tank has always used a fabricated mower deck. The stamped deck was used on the machines sold as MTD Pro.
Also the Cub has very good mower spindles. Although they are aluminum, the housings are much thicker and heavier than most, and the bearings are Timken Taipered not the weaker ball bearing type, and they are greasable - so they have very little spindle trouble.
Actually the stamped deck had a really good quality of cut - but the fabricated type is easier to market, because it is what has been popularized. Toro and John Deere and Kubota have all run into this same brick wall .

3. The Cub Tank has a pretty good ride. Not as busy and choppy as some others are. This is mostly the result of their front axel that can pivot and absorb some of the bumps in the ground, and if you are on real steep hills, the front axel will lock to improve traction and stability. The other thing that helps their ride quality is that their seat cushions are very soft and deep, and it's one of the best feeling seats I have found on a mower.

I'm not saying the Cub Tank is the greatest machine made , but considering that their Kaw., Honda, Kohler, Hydro-Gear, Ross, Timken, etc. etc. components are the same as all the other high quality manufacturers are using, and the weight and guages of metal used to fab the machine appears as good or better than many others - I believe they are selling a pretty darn good machine, especially when you facter in their prices.

In short, the Cub Tank gives you a very good bang for the bucks you will spend for it - and it's really a shame that so many people can't get past the idea of MTD , and really take an unbiased look at this bargin.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Sam-Ohio
The Cub Tank has a pretty good ride. Not as busy and choppy as some others are. This is mostly the result of their front axel that can pivot and absorb some of the bumps in the ground, and if you are on real steep hills, the front axel will lock to improve traction and stability.
Being the owner of a completely rigid frame design and taking some of my exeriences into account, I am under the impression that your theory about a locked front axle improving traction might be the other way around.

Most of the time, where I loose traction is in those 'no give' situations on uneven terrain. The only place I can see the axle pivot hurting traction would be doing diagonal downhills. But IF I remember correctly, the stripes in that picture I was talking about were actually diagional downhill, so.......

airtime
03-21-2004, 09:20 PM
great info guys, i'm going to talk with both dealers tomorrow and see which one will be the better dealer. i believe both of them will have the same prise since cub is setting the price. 27 hp should do pretty well on a 60" cut. my old yazoo tricycle front mower is getting to hard and expensive to find parts for. 61" cut with a 20hp kohler is pretty weak in the thick high grass i cut. my hydraulic deck cylinder is leaking, anyone have a dealer that sells yazoo parts cheap? the last rebuild kit i bought for it was $75 bucks (and i lost it before i installed it, lol) again, thanks for the replys, it's always better to hear from people who have actually owned one than a friend of a cousin who had a bad experience with one.

wriken
03-21-2004, 09:43 PM
In short, the Cub Tank gives you a very good bang for the bucks you will spend for it - and it's really a shame that so many people can't get past the idea of MTD , and really take an unbiased look at this bargin. [/B][/QUOTE]

maybe people think the more you spend, the better the product, little do they know, their paying more for the same parts that go on their so called better mower. live and learn, I'll take my 2000+, that I save, and upgrade my other equipment.

tiedeman
03-21-2004, 10:05 PM
Who knows if the exmark dealer closer to me then my cub dealer, was'nt a P***K, I could be running their brand.

have to totally agree with you on that one. That is the only reason why I won't go to them anymore

Grass Master
03-21-2004, 10:42 PM
Airtime,

If price is a major issue, check out the Great Dane Chariot ZTR's. Nice mowers built in a "state of the art" John Deere facility in NC.

You can get a 61" 25 HP machine for $6899 with the factory rebate. Very nice machine with probably the best cutting deck I have ever used.

club54
03-21-2004, 11:14 PM
M54 TANK LOVE IT IF HAD TO BUY AGAIN I WOULD GO WITH THE 54 1 MORE TIME

E-man
03-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I am looking into getting the M54 with 25 hp Kohler . I am waiting for the grass to grow to get a real demo (instead of cruising around the parking lot) my question is does the striping roller go the length of the deck ? I didn't pay attention for it at the dealer but in the pamphlet it shows it only in the middle. If it is only a partial does it affect the striping quality?

Sorry for the ignorance but I have run walkers exclusively up to this point ;)

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2004, 09:55 PM
E-man, ask wriken, I think there is a picture he put on here somewhere. I'll try to find it for ya in the meantime...

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
You'll find the picture HERE (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36207&perpage=20&highlight=cub%20tank%20striping%20roller&pagenumber=2)

E-man
03-22-2004, 10:18 PM
thanks Envy that answers my question.

wriken
03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
yep, the tires does the rest. standard equipment