PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Mulch or Root Mulch?

Harry0
03-21-2004, 05:38 PM
I am not crazy about the dyed mulch look(especially red). But I have a customer who wants the dyed black mulch. He said they use it in his region(this is a vacation complex) and it holds its color longer than root mulch ,that we usually use. He is also a Landscaper and warned against using it in wet conditions because of temporary staining concrete etc. I would appreciate any feedback on this-Harry

Grassmechanic
03-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Personally, I would not use any dyed material around living plants. Most dyes contain too many petro chemicals for me.

D Felix
03-24-2004, 11:33 AM
We used two different dyed black mulches last year. One was dyed chips, the other was dyed shredded hardwood bark.

I would much rather use the bark than the chips. The chips will not break down as fast, they will take upwards of 4-5 years to completely decompose. Yearly mulching adds to that time.

Both seem to be holding their color well.

Dan

Harry0
03-25-2004, 07:14 AM
The mulch has a nice black color-and looks nice. I was told it is dyed pallet wood. The jury is still out. If it dosen't breakdown and starts whitening at the edges I will not use it again. We put down 80 yds and initial reaction from customers was positive-Harry

joshua
03-26-2004, 12:49 AM
harry all we use is the black dyed mulch and yes it is gound up pallets. worst thing bout the dyed is that it takes a good 2-3 years to break down and the color usually stays for 2 summers unless in extreme shade. now the good things when you talk to customers bout the black dyed muclh explain to them that yes it costs more but it lasts longer and honestly it makes the colors stand out more. usually customers love the idea that your going to same them money ( yes think about that ; you'll figure it out ) those customers will call you first the next time they need a job done for that reason. good luck

Harry0
03-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Joshua-I dont understand what you are saying about saving them $. Are you saying you mulch every other year? -HaRRY

Grassmechanic
03-26-2004, 07:25 AM
yeah, they'll be calling you to replace all of their sensitive perennials that s-l-o-w-l-y die from all the dye in that wood. Then they'll be calling you to fertilize their shrubs that turn puke green from nitrogen depletion, thanks to all the wood that slowly decomposes. No thanks, I've seen the long term damage that dyed mulch produces, and I stay away from it.

joshua
03-26-2004, 10:15 PM
ok, i have a question is that brown mulch dyed or does it natural change color. the only undyed mulch are woods chips that have a creamish color. so when people say they don't want to use any dyed mulch i just don't get it. not to mention that the dye just isn't going to sit there at root level, with waterings and rain it will be flushed away from the roots. also, dyed mulches don't lost much dye when it rains.

yes harry i'm saying, lets say your bid is $1000 for the black and $750 for the brown you'll save them $500. '

ok now onto personal experience i've been using the black mulch for 7 years and have never noticed anytype of discoloration on leafs or flowers.

but i'll call ohio state extension office tommorrow and ask that same question and see what they have to say bout that.

Harry0
03-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Joshua-The root mulch I use is 100% organic which I am guessing has no dyes. The PH is checked weekly along with density. The brown color is from natural cooking(so I am told I am no scientist)-Harry check it out-http://www.naturalink.com/mulches.htm

polecat63
03-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Saw some black oak mulch and it looks pretty nice. Haven't used any yet, but might give it a try around my beds to see if I like it. Check to see if it's available to you.