PDA

View Full Version : WORST Mowers

ken50
03-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Everyone always wants to know what the BESt mower is, and it seems everyone has their own person opinion, I am starting to think the top names are all pretty comparable. Many times may come down to what personal preference and local dealer support there may be. What I would like to know is, what commercial mowers should I not even consider, and why?

Thanks!

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Here this will start a fight. Dixie chopper. Frames look like a 6 year old put together with an erector set. And they just plain look cheap.

PLI1
03-21-2004, 06:37 PM
The worst mower I have ever owned was a Bobcat hydro 48" walk behind. What a giant turd that thing was!!

flyboy
03-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Anything with the name ENCORE

lawnman_scott
03-21-2004, 07:03 PM
Great Dane parts availability would bring it to the top of the list.

Fivestar
03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Had a 2 year old Billy goat that had no front teeth. He just did`nt cut it so I sold him.:D

DLCS
03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Fivestar
Had a 2 year old Billy goat that had no front teeth. He just did`nt cut it so I sold him.:D

LMAO. thats a good one.

GRT
03-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Let me be the first to say that this is a poor, completely negative thread; all it does it harbor hatred towards brands. If you have a question about a certain manufacturer then by all means, ask. But to start a thread like this is childish IMO. Base your decision on fact and YOUR opinion, not on others bashing companies' products.

Seems to me like you would get the best advice from a thread with the BEST mowers, which is why they've been started.

Fareway Lawncare
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Well I hated the Sutech Stealth...sorry Sutech & also the new design Toro Walks w/the vertical height adjusts when they tried to fit the SFS deck on an eXmark type carrier frame...no knock on previous & future Toro Walks...that mistake is being remedied.

ken50
03-21-2004, 07:19 PM
I realize this will be a negative thread, but I am getting ready to get into this business with both feet, and for me to lay out the kind of money that is necessary, I just want to make darn sure I don't get BURNED. From what I have seen, there are a lot of good mowers, but I just don't have pockets deep enough to make a mistake. You say childish, I say just being cautious. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else on here, that was not my intent.....

lawnman_scott
03-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by GRT
Let me be the first to say that this is a poor, completely negative thread; all it does it harbor hatred towards brands. If you have a question about a certain manufacturer then by all means, ask. But to start a thread like this is childish IMO. Base your decision on fact and YOUR opinion, not on others bashing companies' products.

Seems to me like you would get the best advice from a thread with the BEST mowers, which is why they've been started.

The thread doesnt matter. Look at the responces. Do they give a reason? And did the people ever own one? Example: Dixie chopper frame looks like a 6 y/o prut together with a erector set, and they just look cheap. What does this tell you? Nothing.

NEPSJay
03-21-2004, 07:30 PM
Lets not count out the famed "Landscapers Supply" p-o-s.

The Dude
03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Preach on Scott. This has to be the #1 problem on here. garbage opinions on things people have never used before.

GRT
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
The thread doesnt matter. Look at the responces. Do they give a reason? And did the people ever own one? Example: Dixie chopper frame looks like a 6 y/o prut together with a erector set, and they just look cheap. What does this tell you? Nothing.

Completely agree with you there, but I still think the thread is worthless...nothing but bashing without evidence or backup.

PLI1
03-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I'll give reasons for mine.
48" Bobcat Hydro walk behind...........
1. Poor quality cut.
2. Not much vaccuum, even with high lift blades which caused poor bagging and dispersal of clippings.
3. Hydro would go out of adjustment often and track to the right or left.
4. Belts would go out of adjustment often and wear out much quicker than my other machines.
5. Poor weight distribution. The front end would lift up when mowing up a steep hill.
6.Uncomfortable to use. My employees would fight over the Exmarks vs. getting stuck with the green turd.
7. Reliability. I was always performing some type of repair to the thing vs. only once in a great while to my other machines.

AMAC
03-21-2004, 08:03 PM
Lets keep it simple: Murray sucks, it is a wall mart brand machine that wont last 1 season of hard work. Buy a commercial mower with a warranty and you will make $$$.

GRT
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ken50
I realize this will be a negative thread, but I am getting ready to get into this business with both feet, and for me to lay out the kind of money that is necessary, I just want to make darn sure I don't get BURNED. From what I have seen, there are a lot of good mowers, but I just don't have pockets deep enough to make a mistake. You say childish, I say just being cautious. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else on here, that was not my intent.....

Didn't think it was your intent, and no offense taken of course. It's just my opinion that this wasn't the best way of getting the information you wanted. I would never buy something based on what people told me NOT to buy; especially with the vague reasons given so far. I think you would do best to research the most mentioned companies on the site:

Exmark
Scag
Toro
John Deere
Great Dane
Etc.

Then test them all, keep asking your dealer questions, and make an educated decision that way. I'm sure everyone here has had a bad experience with any piece of equipment, and this thread just harbors complaining and negativity. Nothing's wrong with being cautious, but there are more efficient ways of research. You wouldn't buy a car by asking your friends, "What's the worst car out there? I'll make sure I don't buy that one!" right?

workaholic
03-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I do not like to talk turkey on mower companys but i will say this. Do to the expense that is invovled in buying equipment, One needs to know whats good and whats bad and theres know better place then talking to lco that have used them. I have bought junk in the past and if any lco would ask what that may be I would certainly tell them that this product is not going to hold up. Remember this the U.S A. FREEDOM OF SPEECH...

Bill Davis
03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
why is everyone getting so serious about the threads people start now. It is not that big of a deal. I like hearing about bad equipment myself. GRT I dont think it is bad to hate a brand that puts out crappy equipment. This is good info and unless you have something to say about some bad equipment then dont complain about the topic. My bad mower would be my old Lawn boy mower. The deck design was something I just couldnt understand. It left weird tire lines and didnt enable me to trim up against things very close with the right side of the deck. Just my opinion.

GRT
03-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by workaholic
I do not like to talk turkey on mower companys but i will say this. Do to the expense that is invovled in buying equipment, One needs to know whats good and whats bad and theres know better place then talking to lco that have used them. I have bought junk in the past and if any lco would ask what that may be I would certainly tell them that this product is not going to hold up. Remember this the U.S A. FREEDOM OF SPEECH...

I know where we are :) , and anyone is welcome to say anything here...that's not my point. My point is, when you bought the "junk", did you ask your peers specifically about that brand/equipment model before you bought it. If so, did your peers advocate your purchase?

My point is, we don't even know what Ken50 is looking for; commercial mower has a broad meaning. ZTR rider? Hydro walk behind? Gear Driven? If he had said, I'm looking for a 48" ZTR and was thinking about a Scag, Exmark, Encore and John Deere, people could give him advice based on his needs and their experience a lot more efficiently than, "Murray sucks." I'm just trying to make this thread a little more effective for his own sake, ya know?

bugspit
03-21-2004, 08:24 PM
Well, I used a Sears tractor for a season...I about tore up the deck and it I know it has alot of frame flex. The hood flew off one day and skidded down the road, had to use a bungee cord after that. (another case for Ins., luckly no one was behind me) The motor a 19.5hp I/C Briggs is still in good shape.
My 22" Murray W/B..? wore the wheels off it, replaced two and they need replacing now, plastic wheels suck, motor good.

I'll also be buying commercial equipment this year. Dixie and Bad Boy ZTR's are at the top of the list.
I got three replacement Wal-Mart W/B's that I intend to destroy before springing for another W/B...if you even consider them Walk Behinds...?

Bill Davis
03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Your just the angel of lawnsite arent ya GRT. Its just a thread and will be gone in a couple of days so dont get all worked up over it.

GRT
03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
[B]why is everyone getting so serious about the threads people start now.

This is good info and unless you have something to say about some bad equipment then dont complain about the topic. B]

Must have missed the good info...my bad.

Ken50, can you give us a little more insight as to what types of mowers you'll be purchasing (ZTR, WB, etc.)?? I think it will really help your thread and give your peers a little more direction in how to answer.

GRT
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Bill Davis
Your just the angel of lawnsite arent ya GRT. Its just a thread and will be gone in a couple of days so dont get all worked up over it.

:angel: That's right!

Seriously, though, I was just trying to help get this thread on the right track; probably didn't convey that in the best way. Apologies if I offended anyone.

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
Here this will start a fight. Dixie chopper. Frames look like a 6 year old put together with an erector set. And they just plain look cheap.
LIKE I SAID AT THE BEGINNING. I NEW THIS WAS GOING TO CAUSE A BIG FIGHT. NOW YOU ALL GO STAND IN THE CORNER UNTIL I SAY YOU CAN MOVE.

Bill Davis
03-21-2004, 08:35 PM
nope none taken but I did kinda like the new topic of worst mowers b/c every time I get on here its the same topics of, best ZTR, best trimmer, commercial v. residential, blah blah blah. Its time for a change on here if you ask me.

scottishmaximus
03-21-2004, 08:48 PM
worst walkbehind mower that i ever owned was a sutech stealth. Don't be fooled by the "commercial" label or the over-sized spindle bearings and cast iron pulleys. I cannot believe that it was ever classified as a lawn mower because it simply could not cut grass. If you are looking for a very small walk behind and cannot afford a commercial unit, I recommend getting a 33" made under the names of cub cadet, craftsman, and many more mtd names. I have one (don't use commercially) and it will at least cut grass, and pretty good. the 33" sutech is a three blade design, while the mtd is a 2 blade design. the sutechs 3 blades simply could not create enough vacuum. There are many more posts on the sutech, try a search.

WINGNUT
03-21-2004, 09:09 PM
I can end it all right now.......The worst mower I ever owned (or anybody else for that matter) was the one that wouldn't start on the first pull, threw clippings out the wrong side, had a flat everyday, burned too much oil, skipped, slid or pulled to one side, or blew up just when it ran out of warranty. We don't have to put a name on this mower, but I'm positive everybody has had at least one of these. It doesn't matter what the color was whose engine was on it, it was still a piece of poo.

Sauls1686
03-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Good grief this is silly.

Ken just go get urself a SCAG and you
will be happy. I have never used an
Exmark, but I think they are right up
there with SCAG, at least they have
a really loyal following. (scags look cooler tho :D)

Personally i wouldnt go with the landscaper supply,
encore Jazee, etc, they look like junk and usually
cost as much as 'Simply the Best'. I think brandnames DO matter in this case.

Dave
03-21-2004, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PLI1
[B]I'll give reasons for mine.
48" Bobcat Hydro walk behind...........
1. Poor quality cut.
2. Not much vaccuum, even with high lift blades which caused poor bagging and dispersal of clippings.
3. Hydro would go out of adjustment often and track to the right or left.
4. Belts would go out of adjustment often and wear out much quicker than my other machines.
5. Poor weight distribution. The front end would lift up when mowing up a steep hill.
6.Uncomfortable to use. My employees would fight over the Exmarks vs. getting stuck with the green turd.
7. Reliability. I was always performing some type of repair to the thing vs. only once in a great while to my other machines.

Jeeze my bobcat 48 hydro has 980 hours on it ,the only thing that was done to it was a key switch, and a plate was put in to keep the speed down,bags fine ,5"deck 18000+fpm blade speed,ill keep my green junk

ken50
03-21-2004, 09:49 PM
I was thinking about a 36" walkbehind, and later a ZTR....probably a 48"? Didn't know it would cause such a ruckus though! The answers are about what I thought though, seems as though staying with Exmark, Scag, John Deere, Cub Cadet, etc. will be a good investment, that's all I was shooting for. Thanks to everyone for your input!

SLOWACE
03-17-2005, 08:31 PM
sutech stealth what a piece of crap they should'nt put commercial on this mower

slow release
03-17-2005, 08:49 PM
When I was a kid, I had one of those Fisher Price Bubble Mowers. That thing never cut good!!! :laugh:

THill3
03-17-2005, 09:23 PM
ENCORE Did everything wingnut said.

EVERYTHING

Jason Pallas
03-17-2005, 10:31 PM
Lesco - they're the biggest pieces of crap. Do a search on my name - I've ranted on and on about them. I won't waste anymore space here. Glad to rid of them. We now use Exmarks -they're great (and I've used them all - been in the biz for 25 years).

David Grass
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
NO, but I always did think you look like you are riding in a wheel chair, they should cool it up. It could only help sales if they came up with a cooler design, but hey, they didnt ask me.

Smalltimer1
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
Anything with the names Murray, Craftsman, MTD, Yard Man, Yard Machines, White, AYP, Poulan, Weed Eater, Mac Culloch, Bolens, Wizard, and Electrolux are all junk. I've used all of them and they constantly need adjustments and need some kind of part replaced.

I learned my lesson early on with that stuff and I moved up to John Deere equipment. :cool:

430 boy
03-18-2005, 11:45 AM
I would have to agree w/smalltimer on deere. But other you should think about is what tranmission do you want in your WB mower. You can gear drive or hydrostatic drive. :)

sodgod
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Anything with the name ENCORE
:realmad: hey hey hey!! lol i like mine hahahaha. i understand why you might think that. i know as soon as i get my exmark i will never turn back to them.

sodgod
03-18-2005, 03:32 PM
lol good one. that made my day that much better. but i am gunna ask ya what kind of goat did ya have? :p

trying 2b organic
03-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Where I live pros seem to like John Deere homowner lawn tractors, the billy goat 33, and husky mowers. I find that all very very strange. So far I have a husky 21 which is terrible. Im looking at upgrading to a John Deere ride on that the big boys have.

p.s. im not kidding about any of that. Ive been asking about thier ride on mowers and why they bought them instead of a proper walkbehind. They say its cheap, does the job, and u get to ride.

Stinger
03-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Worst mower is my Great Dane 61" Super Surfer. It's less than one year old and has had the following problems within only 114 hrs.

1)Flat tire day one went to remove rear wheel and one stud was crossthreaded from factory.
2)Shredded deck belt
3)Electrical/starter problem
4)Shredded drive belt
5))Replaced idler and center pulley on deck
6)Replaced throttle cable assembly
7)Replaced left hydro gear pump
8)Replaced another deck belt
9)Starter problems again
10)Studs back out of rear drive wheel
11)Rear pulleys on tranny replaced

Now I understand there is good and bad in everything. My first Super Surfer I purchased has 300+ hrs and works fine to this day. But someone shure handed me a lemon with this 61. And to make matters worse all 3 dealers in my area have quit selling Great Dane mowers and parts. The distribition was moved out of state and my closest shop for warranty work or parts is over an hour away. Not to bash Dane because they have allways returned my calls and tried to lend help by authorizing a local shop to do warranty repairs for me. When you spend big $$$ for a new machine it should be dependable and work right. Just my .02 cents, ok i'm off the box now.

Scottish LScape
03-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Lets not count out the famed "Landscapers Supply" p-o-s.
I just received their catalog today. what a POS.
thanks 2cents

Scottish LScape
03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
When I was a kid, I had one of those Fisher Price Bubble Mowers. That thing never cut good!!! :laugh:
Thats Funny!!! :p

bigdave36
03-20-2005, 12:58 AM
When I first started I bought a 17 year old Dynamark 38" rider for $400.00
Don't buy a 17 year old Dynamark rider :)

Mower Man
03-20-2005, 09:29 AM
All the majors make good mowers, especialy when they're the right application, and......and.......and......maintained.

Some have advantages that actually mean something, some 'features' don't.

No one stays on top forever.
Just ask Ford now #3. Toyota now #2. Simply better quality, and marketing.
John Deere 100 series lawn tractor rated 9th by Popular Mechanics.

bigz1001
03-20-2005, 09:59 AM

It's amazing that the only things people say about these mowers is they "look cheap." I am surprised no-one has made a comment about Astro Turf.