PDA

View Full Version : Edger & Existing Beds

pines
03-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Do any of you use a metal edger that you use for driveways/sidewalks etc. as a means of edging existing beds around trees, beds etc. Thanks

pines
03-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by pines
Do any of you use a metal edger that you use for driveways/sidewalks etc. as a means of edging existing beds around trees, beds etc. Thanks

Maybe I didn't ask the question clear enough. I was speaking of a motorized edger. If not, how do you edge out an existing soil / mulch edge? Sorry about not making myself clearer.

homerescue
03-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Well pines I've tried a a small walk behind edger to cut between grass and mulch to try to keep the grass from growing into the beds, I think that is the reason why you are suppose to edge bed s every now and then. But anyway my edging didn't seem to neatly done, dirt and grass in mulch, going to try a stick edger this year,don't know if that will be any better, or maybe I just need more practice, i would like to here from others myself. Would hate to edge without motorized euipment in flower beds, it would take forever.

pines
03-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by homerescue
Well pines I've tried a a small walk behind edger to cut between grass and mulch to try to keep the grass from growing into the beds, I think that is the reason why you are suppose to edge bed s every now and then. But anyway my edging didn't seem to neatly done, dirt and grass in mulch, going to try a stick edger this year,don't know if that will be any better, or maybe I just need more practice, i would like to here from others myself. Would hate to edge without motorized euipment in flower beds, it would take forever.

I appreciate your reply. I am speaking of creating the new edge for the spring just prior to a new mulch application. The soil/ grass debris can be "lost" in the bed prior to this new layer of mulch. Thanks

grass_cuttin_fool
03-21-2004, 07:46 PM
To get a good clean edge around a bed they make a '' bed edger'' It has a wide blade or i should say multiple blades on it and can make a clean edge in 1 pass

pines
03-21-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by grass_cuttin_fool
To get a good clean edge around a bed they make a '' bed edger'' It has a wide blade or i should say multiple blades on it and can make a clean edge in 1 pass

I have one & it is great for creating new beds. I am just looking for a quick & clean method of creating edges on existing beds that need a fixup.

mickman
03-21-2004, 08:49 PM
On my" bed edger " they make a re-defining blade for existing beds for around $100-120. that's mostly all I use, unless I'm edging new beds.

homerescue
03-21-2004, 11:57 PM
mickman does that redefining blade throw alot of dirt and grass back up into the beds and the mulch that would need to be cleaned out.

pines
03-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by mickman
On my" bed edger " they make a re-defining blade for existing beds for around $100-120. that's mostly all I use, unless I'm edging new beds.

What type of edger do you have?

GarPA
03-22-2004, 06:46 AM
easiest and most effective way is to use a Brown (or other brand) bed edger. It has an auger that pulverizes the soil which you then just brush into the beds and mulch over. Very easy, very profitable. It does not do wwll however going around trees plus you dont want to be cutting any tree roots that may be near the surface so we hand edge tree rings

You can rent one of these for about $75/day, much less for a week

mickman
03-22-2004, 08:10 AM
the redefining blade throws a narrow, fine dirt line just inside of beds. I go back with a blower & blow dirt & whatever grass in beds outside of beds. then mow over any grass clumps.
I've been doing this for years w/ great results. As far as trees go,
you can feel if you start hitting a root, then I just pop a wheelie
[push down on handle bars ] then drop down & continue.
however, if there are alot of visable roots...then I do hand edge

pines
03-22-2004, 09:57 AM
the redefining blade throws a narrow, fine dirt line just inside of beds. I go back with a blower & blow dirt & whatever grass in beds outside of beds. then mow over any grass clumps.
I've been doing this for years w/ great results. As far as trees go,
you can feel if you start hitting a root, then I just pop a wheelie
[push down on handle bars ] then drop down & continue.
however, if there are alot of visable roots...then I do hand edge

Do you get your equipment at Frederic Equipment? Also, how easy is it to change out the blades?

mickman
03-22-2004, 12:18 PM
I buy all of my equipment @ Frederick Equipment
I use an impact wrench w/ 1-1/4" - 1- 1/2" socket
90% of time I just use redefining blade

pines
03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
I buy all of my equipment @ Frederick Equipment
I use an impact wrench w/ 1-1/4" - 1- 1/2" socket
90% of time I just use redefining blade

Thanks alot!! You have been a big help.

gogetter
03-22-2004, 04:16 PM
I'll just throw this in for anyone that might be interested:

http://www.reedger.com/index.htm

Scraper
03-22-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by gogetter

That thing looks like it could work well...anyone have experience with these? Jon?

GarPA
03-22-2004, 04:52 PM
I'm also interested in it...wish they had better pics of before and after...looks like its not make for Echo straight shaft. Wonder why not? Could be a great little tool as we often drag around those big bed edger machines when a smaller machine would do for just redefining a bed

anyone use it ??

NCSULandscaper
03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
if you dont want much spoil when re- defining beds just lower the front wheels so it doesnt cut in as deep. If you are redefining then you are only going to be adding about an inch of mulch for color. Raise the blade up so it only cuts an inch or so down.

pines
03-22-2004, 08:30 PM

Gogetter,

Do you use one of these? if so, how do you like it?

pines
03-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by NCSULandscaper
if you dont want much spoil when re- defining beds just lower the front wheels so it doesnt cut in as deep. If you are redefining then you are only going to be adding about an inch of mulch for color. Raise the blade up so it only cuts an inch or so down.

How often do you change the height youself?.....or do you just change the type of blade? ...or both? Thanks

CDJLANDSCAPING
03-22-2004, 09:37 PM
So what would i use to install a flowerbed?

NCSULandscaper
03-22-2004, 10:29 PM
I started with the blade up some, then when the blade wears down some just gradually lower it. Doesnt your have the front wing nut to adjust the wheel height?

gogetter
03-22-2004, 11:29 PM
They sent me a couple other pics in an e-mail a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here.

I haven't used one. It's a new company and I saw their ad in one of the trade magazines, and was kind of interested in it myself.

Scraper
03-24-2004, 01:21 PM
They sent me a couple other pics in an e-mail a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can figure out how to post them here.

Figure it out yet??? I am really interested in this! They haven't responded to an e-mail I sent.

gogetter
03-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Scraper
Figure it out yet??? I am really interested in this! They haven't responded to an e-mail I sent.

LOL! Nope! If anyone can tell me how I'll try (keep in mind that you have to speak in non techy terms).

They were in attachments in an email they sent me. The pics are right in the e-mail (in other words, I didn't have to open them or anything) if they helps.

Scraper
03-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I PM'd you Jon.