PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get down about this business?

Craftybigdog
03-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Im trying my best to line up new clients. Flyres, running ads in the local newspaper, just not alot of luck yet. Lost a contract that Ive had for the last 2 yrs today by a company that is just getting started and they underbid me by 50.00. I said no way, Im not lowering my prices.But its just now starting to get warm a little in the Northeast. I will keep pluggin at it and hopefully I pick up some more work, I guess the world just doesnt have a place for honest people that take pride in their work.

gramps
03-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Hang in there. Your price was OK and your work was also. If that contract comes back in a few month,up the price accordingly.:)

specialtylc
03-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Every one loses an account now and then. No big deal. Just keep out there knocking on doors and you will pick up more work.

Craftybigdog
03-21-2004, 06:51 PM
I know Im just starting to feel the pressure. We have a little one coming in July and my wife is quitting work May 1.

Expert Lawns
03-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Entrepreneur - one who is willing to assume the risk of starting and running a business. This is what it's all about. You learn more from the ups and downs. I am reading a book right now about how to deal with the highs and lows of business. It says that seasonal work like we have is more apt to bring a higher rate of lows. It says, "when the lows hang on for awhile, interesting personnel dynamics start to happen." I find this to be very true.

It's not the end of the world. Besides, it's still early in the season.

NNJLandman
03-21-2004, 07:11 PM
Hey man everyone feels its, this is one of the hardest businesses to be successful in. There are so many companies out there competing against one another. Don't worry everyone has there time of doubt and there time of no time. Just stay positive

Vladslawn
03-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Congratulations to the both of you. Fatherhood is the greatest!

No wonder your feeling this lost bid with extra pressure.
Been there & understand. This business can wear you down emotionally @ the bidding process. Spend some time with the people who think the world of you. This lost bid will not be so significant. (emotionally) The money is another matter.

Honesty & persistence do pay well and not just $$.
Keep it up! And never surrender.

Wish you and yours peace & prosperity.

Sincerely, Vlad