PDA

View Full Version : Accelerator Catcher

Mr DanO
03-21-2004, 07:27 PM
:confused: I looked at an accelerator catcher the other day at a dealer, are they all that badly welded and bent up. It looked like they had 8 year old kids doing the fabracation and welding. For the price they where asking i would expect some nicer welds and smoother bends.

Tony Clifton
03-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I have to admit that when I got my accelerator I was less than impressed with the appearance of it's construction. However we have used it for about 6 months now, and it has held up fine. I hate to admit it but my mowing guys are pretty tough on equipment so I guess its construction is fine.

Fareway Lawncare
03-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Some of the welds are a little sloppy but none have broken & the catchers have held up to heavy abuse including smashing against solid objects while mowing.

JohnsonLawn
03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
For you guys using them, how do they pack grass and do you find them better than cloth catchers for sucking up leaves(with high lift blades)

workaholic
03-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Has anyone used the accelerator xxl 6.2 c.u f.t size on ztr mowers? do they pack well? how expensive are they?

locutus
03-21-2004, 09:56 PM
Do you want a catcher that looks beautiful or performs beautifully? Form follows function. I have an Accelerator and it was one of my best purchases....Period.

For those of you asking how they pack or perform with grass/ leaves, I use mine for both. It packs tight due to exceptional airflow. That is either with grass or leaves. It was a huge time saver during leaf season. I used double blades during leaf season.Shreads the leaves better. I have the XL Accelerator.

DJL
03-21-2004, 10:06 PM
Spoke to one of the local landscape supply company's about the accelerator for my 48" hydro WB Scag. First thing he asked was "do you have employees?" I looked at him funny and said no, why? In a nutshell he says if you take care of them they will work great, if you have employees that beat the crapola out of your equipment it's not worth the 300 bucks.

My only other concern would be quality of cut. If I can actually load that thing up the brim with grass clippings, that's a lot of weight on one side of the mower. Does it affect the quality of the cut, like when you hit a bump in the lawn does the side with the bag dive in and scalp it? Just curious if anyone has had this happen to them.

locutus
03-21-2004, 10:14 PM
"My only other concern would be quality of cut. If I can actually load that thing up the brim with grass clippings, that's a lot of weight on one side of the mower. Does it affect the quality of the cut, like when you hit a bump in the lawn does the side with the bag dive in and scalp it? Just curious if anyone has had this happen to them"

I use my XL on a 36" Exmark floating deck mower and no matter how full the catcher gets, it never tilts the deck or mower. I had this same concern myself initially. Peter at Accelerator assured me that this would not be a problem and he was correct.

DJL
03-21-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks!! My concern wouldn't be the quality of build, but rather the quality of cut. I'm assuming with a 48" I'd be even better off due to a wider stance. I might be looking into one of these in the near future.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
the XL's around here run $499.00

PeterA
03-22-2004, 02:31 AM
DanO,
I know our catchers don't have perfect bends or totally smooth welds. We have made a few decisions in our fabrication that lead to this. On the welds, we use a specialized mig process rather than tig. I made the decision to do this years ago after our welding company demo'd both types of equipment. The Tig equipment made a nicer looking weld, but it was no stronger and the weld time was much longer. This would have added a lot to the price with no improvment in strength. I decided to go with the specialized mig equipment. The bending on the top and bottom could be smoother if we used bendable aluminum. The problem is that the bendable alloy (6063) is not as strong. We decided to go with the 6061 and accept a lesser appearance. With all the beating the catcher takes, I think it was a good choice. If you check out our welds, you will find that they are all burnt in quite well. My welders are all experienced guys who do this 40 hours a week. If you do buy our catcher and it gives you any problems, we will go to the mat for you to make you a happy customer.

Thanks

promower
03-22-2004, 04:11 AM
They might not look great but they are awesome, lightweight, easy to use. I banged into plenty of stuff with mine and never had a problem.

J.Gordon
03-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by locutus
Do you want a catcher that looks beautiful or performs beautifully? Form follows function. I have an Accelerator and it was one of my best purchases....Period.

For those of you asking how they pack or perform with grass/ leaves, I use mine for both. It packs tight due to exceptional airflow. That is either with grass or leaves. It was a huge time saver during leaf season. I used double blades during leaf season.Shreads the leaves better. I have the XL Accelerator.

Bingo! I also purchased the jumbo Accelerator; and it has been a great investment. Sure I could have made or purchased a steel catcher that would have been more durable that would weigh about the same as the Accelerator full of leaves, but why have all that extra weight that’s just going to wear you out by the end of the day. The Accelerator packs very tight with grass or leaves, and wont kill your back lifting it all day! I have done a lot of welding over the years and can tell you the welds are not the weak point on this catcher! They are expensive but it’s worth every penny if I am going to be lifting it all day. The Accelerator will take a lot more abuse than you think it should, and does what is was designed to do exceptionally well. Now if you have employees that could care less and abuse the equipment like a lot of the members here talk about, you might want to get the Steel version. (Have them make it out of 1/2’’Steel that they wont destroy) I myself would get the Accelerator and find people that had respect for my property! If you can afford the Accelerator you wont be dissatisfied and if you are, Peter is just a phone call away! And you will get to speak to him,

Jeff

John Gamba
03-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Heres the big one on a 48" metro hp, and i will post a pic of the bagger with the extension on a 60" lazer Wednesday.
John

Jim H
03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
When I use the XL on my Exmark TT36" on the lowest setting (1 1/2") I can't mow even the slightest slope. The front of the catcher digs into the turf and knocks the catcher off of the mower. Anyone else have this problem? Does the Exmark catcher have this same problem?

FuzzyOne
03-22-2004, 09:27 AM
I have one on my Mini-Z. I've wacked into a few utility poles and didn't even get a scratch on it. I think the welds look pretty good BTW. When I first got it, I almost waxed and sprayed it with clearcoat it looked so good. :o

I had trouble finding one around me, so I called and spoke to Peter. Let's just say that customer service offered by Accelerator is top notch. That goes a long way in my book....even though I'm the little guy. Peter took very good care of me and answered all my questions.

khutch
03-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Same question as Jim H. - Exmark 36" seems to catch all the bumps when set low.....

John Gamba
03-22-2004, 12:34 PM
I dont think any bagger will work a 1.5":eek: Thats crazy low.
John

PeterA
03-22-2004, 08:59 PM
The reason we make the catcher a little under the deck at the front is that it helps a lot with airflow. If the opening is slightly large at the front, it prevents air pressure from building up and giving an incomplete fill. If a lot of guys are having problems with this, we could raise it slightly. I have 2 36 exmark floating deck hydro's in my shop (my old company, Yardmaster, is still in the same building with us and they use Exmark), so it is easy to check for fit. The Yardmaster guys don't seem to have any problems, but we usually mow at 2 1/2 inches or so here in the northwest.

Peter.

Mr DanO
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
WOW !!! What a response I guess I should overlook form for function. It seems that everybody that has one is happy with it,and thats what matters.Thanks to everybody who responded to my post. DanO