PDA

View Full Version : When did you know it was time?

Craftybigdog
03-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey guys what factors did you consider when you knew it was time to get a second mower! Im at that point now and I want to make sure its a good decision!

packerbacker
03-21-2004, 09:21 PM
When there was 2 people cutting

workaholic
03-21-2004, 09:27 PM
I would have to agree with the thread above

Craftybigdog
03-21-2004, 09:29 PM
The big thing is I have someone to use it, whats that saying if you buy it they will come!

tiedeman
03-21-2004, 09:44 PM
The only reason that I would absolutely buy a new mower, if you didn't have employees, is if the downtime due to maintenance of the one mower is really effecting your daily schedule

workaholic
03-21-2004, 09:49 PM
if you buy it who will come customers? I would not buy a second mower if i do not have any use for it. I would have to say only you can make that call is the new mower going to make it easier on me? Do i have enough work for it.....

ElephantNest
03-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Hmm.....guess I'm strange, but I have never had only one mower. From the beginning I bought two. What do I tell my customers when one is down, they don't care. I first bought two 21 inchers to start with. Can't say they were top of the line, but they got the job done to buy a 42" 17hp rider. Then used the rider to buy the 36" hydro, then that for the 60", ...who knows what's next. 32" maybe.

Albemarle Lawn
03-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Buy the second mower now.

Downtime=big embarrassment!

Pecker
03-21-2004, 10:55 PM
My backup is a 32" which I use for backyards. It would be a backup if my 60" ZTR went down. But if the 32" goes down. . .?? Maybe I should buy a bakcup for my backup. . .Just spend the money on preventive maintenance (new belts, hoses, fuel line, regular fuel filter changes, inventory in your garage of parts that you could anticipate needing, etc.) I can't see buying a new mower just in case yours breaks down, unless you use the new one for a primary and yer current one as a backup, in which case when you do need it it won't start due to fuel varnishing in the tank or something from sitting up. Therefore, yer just doubling yer maintenance time to keep a backup running good as well as your primary, IMO.

BRIMOW525
03-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Well beleive me guys if Crafty's Dixie was 10 years old I doubt it will have seen much down time. But seriously, Jason, I wondering is you think you need 2 mowers or just want a newer bigger one? I mean, yea its nice to plan ahead but, dude your full time in the military, kid on the way, mowing part time. Do you really have enough to warrant running 2 mowers at once? I don't know all the yards that you have but the only one that I do know would be Todd's. I mean think, new mower, another payment, need someone to run mower, pay employee, maintenance on new mower, fuel, insurance, yada yada yada. I'm not trying to say no. Lord knows I like new stuff too, but just sit and think, why do I need one now, why didn't I need it last year?

Avery
03-21-2004, 10:59 PM
As soon as you can afford it. IMO you need a back up for every piece of equipment. Customers do not want to hear excuses when your only mower goes down leaving their yard half cut.

Randy Scott
03-22-2004, 12:11 AM
We don't have backups. We have machines that make us money. Our relationship is so good with our dealer, and we have become such good friends, our backup is about an hour of lost time. The time it would take to go to the dealership to get his demo and/or have him bring one to us. Plain and simple.

To answer your question. If you want to grow, you'll need the machine. As soon as you can't do the amount of work you have in relation to your available time, you need another machine and operator. Whether it's one extra account or ten, you'll need it eventually. Sounds like you are already there.

Craftybigdog
03-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys, if I get this one big contract then I will move on one!

P&C Lawn Care
03-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I always have a back up mower, why have downtime?