PDA

View Full Version : How well will a heavier WB hold a slope?

swim
03-21-2004, 11:24 PM
I' m thinking about getting a new WB. I'm wondering how well it will hold a hill. I currently have a Scag 20hp Kohler with a 52in deck. I'm thinking about getting either a Hustler super walk behind 25hp 54in deck or a Ex mark turf tracer 23hp with a 52in deck. I want as big a mower as I can have as a back up for my Z but want it to hold a hill as well as my Scag does. As it can hold almost any hill I have ever found in lawns. My question is that my mower weighs about 750lbs, will the floating deck mowers hold a hill as well as the fixed deck and will the heavier weight of the Hustler hold a hill as good? Anyone with experience in the comparison let me hear about it.

Mlc gmc03
03-21-2004, 11:53 PM
i dont have alot of experience with this topic as far as the big decks i would think though that the weight would help hold it on there but if it lost grip it would fall down the hill that much faster too

hortboy
03-22-2004, 12:44 AM
My gravely pro 50's hold the hills great. I have 4 lawns that require golf spikes to mow them or you'll go down and mower will follow. the weight will work to your advantage as long as it generally over your rear wheels. The problem I've run into is the larger walk behinds are too lite in the front and keep wanting to pop up.

specialtylc
03-22-2004, 01:41 AM
The biggest need is for good traction tires on them, which most mowers have. Most WB will hold the hills as good or better than a Z rider when not using a sulky . The Hustlers have an optional weight kit for the front if needed.

J.Gordon
03-22-2004, 07:26 AM
I have put my Hustler SWB on some pretty steep slopes while on my BullRider and havenít slipped as of yet, it has a wide stance and big tires that help a lot in those areas. I am very pleased with its performance and wouldnít trade for any other brand. But in your case I would recommend a demo on each one on the properties you have to see which one you like the best. Just my .02
Jeff

PaulJ
03-22-2004, 04:04 PM
YOu say your scag is about 750. My hustler super wakbehind is between 700 and 750. It also has larger itres for better traction, and theh-bar isgreat for controling ped and dirction with one hand.

swim
03-22-2004, 10:58 PM
The book on my Scag says that it weighs 635 pounds with no fluids. The Hustler brochure says the super WB with the 25 hp engine weighs 702 pounds and the 54 inch deck weighs another 273 pounds for a total of 975 pounds correct?
The main thing I am worried about is that the weight will cause it slip like on my Z. There are some hills that I cut with my Scag WB that I have to hold onto the handle bars to keep from falling down the hill. I think the advice about demoing them on the property is what I will have to do. Anyone else with any help?

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2004, 11:39 PM
No....surely it wouldn't weigh that much. That would make it heavier than my rider!!! I'm guessing in the 700 lb range and even that is heavy for a WB to me.

But as far as weight v/s hilling abilities goes. Weight can be a plus or minus. It just depends on the ergonimics, balance and center of gravity. And even then it depends on how you are traveling the hill. If you are like me you like to change the direction and pattern around now and then too.

The main thing is that the mower has got to keep enough weight balanced over the rear tires to provide ample traction and control. It's a ratio I guess you could say. Teh only way you're going to find out rather or not it's going to sidewind or slip like the Lazer is to demo it.

Keep us informed when you do though!

PaulJ
03-23-2004, 02:51 AM
I think the hustler weight of 702 is with the 48" deck. (they list length and width with the 48" deck also) and the 273 is just the deck listed under "accesorries". I remember a thread in the hustler forum awile back that list all the specs for the super walkbehinds. I'll try to find it.

P&J Lawncare
03-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Here are some pictures of my super walkbehind on some hills

P&J Lawncare
03-23-2004, 03:00 AM
Another one from a different angle

P&J Lawncare
03-23-2004, 03:03 AM
One more going up the hill

Doc Pete
03-23-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by swim
The book on my Scag says that it weighs 635 pounds with no fluids. The Hustler brochure says the super WB with the 25 hp engine weighs 702 pounds and the 54 inch deck weighs another 273 pounds for a total of 975 pounds correct?
The main thing I am worried about is that the weight will cause it slip like on my Z. There are some hills that I cut with my Scag WB that I have to hold onto the handle bars to keep from falling down the hill. I think the advice about demoing them on the property is what I will have to do. Anyone else with any help?

The brochure may be a bit confusing. There's a weight for the tractor portion and another for just the deck. The 54 SWB is about 750. However, the SWB's have by far the largest and widest tires of any WB's. Remember they have a 20" diameter and a 10" width. This gives them a bigger "footprint" than all the rest.