PDA

View Full Version : what would ur guys estimate be for this job

Zachary52902
03-22-2004, 12:35 AM
What would u guys price this job at? Just curious what you guys would charge if the job is in your area.
Cutting down and removal of 7 trees. All tree's are 3.5 stories high. the diameter is 2 feet for all tree's. The branches start about 15 feet up and there isnt an abundant amout but a good amount of branches. The price would including cutting down, removal dumping and stump grinding. just curious let me know. Thanks

Runner
03-22-2004, 01:01 AM
I'd call a tree service. For what it would cost me to do this, they could get a service that is equipped to handle this kind of thing much cheaper. A service could probably come in and do it LESS than it would COST you, so what is the sense. Also, how much does your rider on your insurance policy cost to cover tree work?

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 01:15 AM
big trees are dangerous. if you arent very experienced, don't chance it. i don't know about you, but i aint ready to die just yet

Zachary52902
03-22-2004, 08:59 AM
I have done tree jobs before. I never personally climb them and cut them down. I have an experienced tree guy that works for me and i pay him 250 a day to do just this when I need him. He is covered by insurance so I would only be responsible for the removal part. And he would handle the cutting down of the tree.

hoyboy
03-22-2004, 09:31 AM
Zachary - haven't you learned by now not to ask for peoples pricing opinions? You won't get any prices, but you will get a lot of lectures.

NEPSJay
03-22-2004, 04:20 PM
i agree with bobby and runner..... sub it out.

rodfather
03-22-2004, 06:22 PM
I'm gonna guess 5 grand...could be as high as 10 w/o seeing them though. You made no mention of proximity to buildings/structures, overhead wire, etc., etc.

Can you use a boom truck or does all the limbs have to be taken down by climbers? Too many variables sight unseen to say how much...

Q-Team Inc
03-22-2004, 06:25 PM
We have 20 years of trees under our belt and would need a lot more info to price something out. How close to house, any power lines that need to come down, any fences, any shrubs,near leech field? What kind of trees? Is the wood worth anything. How accessible would the cut lengths be to haul to wood yard? Would the cut lengths need to be Bobcated out to be hauled?Chipping the brush or hauling? If it is close to house or leech field is a crane needed??

Need alot more to give any idea....

Stump grinding is the easy part. I'd say $75.00 to $125.00 depending on travel time and access to stumps.

:drinkup:

dvmcmrhp52
03-22-2004, 08:07 PM
$500.00/tree to cut and chip.
2.50/inch of diameter for stump grinding=$420.00.
$3920.00
I agree with above comments......If this is not something you are equiped to do or don't have the experience,don't do it.

Qteam,If you have 20 years experience and your willing to do 7, 24 inch stumps for $75-$125,I've got LOTS of work for you!

lawnman_scott
03-22-2004, 08:42 PM
about $4000 is my guess.

1acreplus
03-22-2004, 09:34 PM
I'm thinking that Qteam meant $125 <i>EACH</i> for the grinding... Still pretty cheap for a two footer. I charge $75 for a 8", and go up in proportion.

Runner
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry,.. it just doesn't add up. It doesn't seem to jive, for some reason.:rolleyes:

Q-Team Inc
03-23-2004, 03:14 PM
1acreplus is correct on my pricing theory. Per stump. Sorry I didn't make that clear. We also don't make a lot on stump grinding. There are a bunch of people around here that do it. We make all of our money with the actual tree work, not grinding. If we grind the stumps for the people so be it.

I still stand by my original post. Cant price Not knowing the site and conditions.

noiseyvoyzey
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
if you were capable of doing it you should already know how long it would take and what to charge. I climbed for years now i only do trees if I can pie and fly. Sometimes I will climb just to set a rope and pull it over with a comealong. Tree work is dangerous, sub it out

CamLand
03-23-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
big trees are dangerous. if you arent very experienced, don't chance it. i don't know about you, but i aint ready to die just yet

very true,one thing to remeber is one of those trees goes in to the house do you have enough insurance or any at all?

twins_lawn_care
03-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I'd charge 10% above what I could sub it out for. There's no way I would touch something that large. Mother nature is a force to be reconed with, and trees that large can be quite dangerous, to not only you, but also anyone around it.
Play it safe, and pass it up if you have any doubt.

GreenMonster
03-23-2004, 04:01 PM
These guys are right.

Trees are dangerous. Either from a bucket, or from the ground.

Sub it out if you're not experienced.

weedwoop
03-23-2004, 06:07 PM
"2.50/inch of diameter for stump grinding=$420.00. "

I see this kind of pricing quite often for stump grinding and don't get it. Seems this is like pricing mowing by how long the property is rather than by the sq. ft. or the hour. for example, a 1 ft. dia. circle has an area of about 113 sq. in.. A 4 ft. dia. circle has an area of about 1810 sq. in.. Using the per inch of diameter formula, you would charge 4 times as much for the big stump as the small one but you would be grinding 16 times as much stump. And that's if they are the same height, seems to me smaller trees usually get cropped closer to the ground than big ones. What got me thinking about this was, a couple jobs I did after getting an attachment for the tractor. On the first, I ground 30 stumps between 6" and 20" in one day and thought OK this is going to be a good money maker. The second job was one stump about 40" and took me about 1/2 day with my little grinder. I didn't know how to charge by the inch so I just charged my regular tractor hourly rate. I think the first customer got a good deal and the second got screwed. Was wondering if anyone uses an area or volume formula rather than diameter.

qualitylandscaping
03-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Without seeing them, I would estimate about $5,950 plus tax..

dvmcmrhp52
03-23-2004, 08:23 PM
The $2.50/inch of diameter is a ballpark.
It is not meant to be the final word.

Originally posted by weedwoop
"2.50/inch of diameter for stump grinding=$420.00. "

I see this kind of pricing quite often for stump grinding and don't get it. Seems this is like pricing mowing by how long the property is rather than by the sq. ft. or the hour. for example, a 1 ft. dia. circle has an area of about 113 sq. in.. A 4 ft. dia. circle has an area of about 1810 sq. in.. Using the per inch of diameter formula, you would charge 4 times as much for the big stump as the small one but you would be grinding 16 times as much stump. And that's if they are the same height, seems to me smaller trees usually get cropped closer to the ground than big ones. What got me thinking about this was, a couple jobs I did after getting an attachment for the tractor. On the first, I ground 30 stumps between 6" and 20" in one day and thought OK this is going to be a good money maker. The second job was one stump about 40" and took me about 1/2 day with my little grinder. I didn't know how to charge by the inch so I just charged my regular tractor hourly rate. I think the first customer got a good deal and the second got screwed. Was wondering if anyone uses an area or volume formula rather than diameter.

Mowing Mike
04-15-2004, 11:37 PM
I just found this tread and have to say all the prices listed here are very high. I run a yard service and a tree service. The tree taht you are talking about are 40 ft high and 2 ft dia. You said there are 7 of them. Unless they are in a back yard at a bottom of a valley they should all be done in about 1/2 of a day. You should be able to get a tree service with the right equipment to do them for about $900.00 The stumps would be 7stumps X 24 inchs = $168. Total for the whole job would be about $1,100. Call and get some estimates. $4,000 and $5,900 estimates, what are you guys using hand saws and a car?

Mike

qualitylandscaping
04-16-2004, 09:28 AM
Mowing Mike,

For $1100, I would think you would be the one using a handsaw and a car..

The fact is, homeowners do not have the skill to take a of that size down.. They NEED to hire a pro.. A pro charges pro prices.. If you want to do that much work for $1100, go ahead, while the rest of us make tons of money off of this service because it's not fun and it's really dangerous..

Mowing Mike
04-16-2004, 10:17 PM
I could do the job with myself and two helpers in about 6 hrs. I would do the job for 1,100, thats 18 man hrs, $61 per man hr. I think this is very fair for me and the customer. If you think $4000 or $6000 is fair well thats up to you, but I don't think a 3 man crew should make $8000 a day, that would not be a fair price to the customer. I've been doing trees as my business full time for 11 yrs. I have all the equipment to do it with. I would finish a job like this by lunch then move to the next. Today we did a job with 8 trees two 30 inch oaks , 2 18 inch hickorys and, 4 20 inch gums. cut and remove only grind 2 oak stumps. Myself and one helper took 3.5 hrs total $575. Just the prices on the 7 tree in the thread were to high.

Mike

qualitylandscaping
04-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Even though you may be doing ok and making a profit, why charge so little when the market will bare so much more?? People will sign on the line for $5000+ for the described service, if for no reason other than they can't do it themselves..

Mowing Mike
04-16-2004, 10:32 PM
My goal is to do an honest days work for a fair amount of pay. I'm not looking to rip anyone off. I advertise by word of mouth only, I get so many referals I turn down as much work as I get. I normally have a waiting list of people wanting trees cut, they don't mind the wait. Just because someone can't do it themselves don't give me the right to charge an arm and a leg. Now if the tree were hanging all over a all glass sunroom the the price would be more because the time spent would be longer. If everyone in the world charged very to dollar for things others can,t do the no one would be able to afford to have any thing done.

Mike