PDA

View Full Version : trimmers to cut thick stuff

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 01:04 AM
landed a couple of hedge jobs, big ones(for me) and i'm thinking i don't want to abuse my red max extended trimmers, i like them for shrubbery, etc. now, these hedges will require much cutting, with alot of the shoots being about as thick as your index finger. any suggestions on what to use? i don't plan on using lopers for these big jobs. i need to buy another set of trimmers anyhow, any recomendation on what ones can handle abuse like this?

specialtylc
03-22-2004, 01:34 AM
We cut stuff up to 1 inch all the time with our trimmers. We have Shindawa, Stihl, and Tanaka. On shrubs branches bigger than that we use a chainsaw and then shape with the trimmer. We like our Tanakas the best.

premier lawn care
03-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Buy another one for nice stuff or get some extra blades in the event you break some teeth.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-22-2004, 07:44 AM
My dealer sold me on the stihl trimmers, he said anything that will fit in between the blades it will cut. And they do, i have abused them some but they cut great, some of the survey companys use them here instead of a small chainsaw. I think mine is the 345 im not sure without looking at them.I never have used any of the others except the homelite brand and i wont go there

Doc Pete
03-22-2004, 08:14 AM
bobby,
go buy the chainsaw attachment for your trimmer, you'll love it for a job like this......
DP

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 08:17 AM
pete i got the chainsaw attachment.

Doc Pete
03-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
pete i got the chainsaw attachment.
WELLLLLLLLLLL, then why not use it??? just let the stopper rest on each branch so they don't bounce around.....

DP

Tvov
03-22-2004, 09:00 AM
We use brush blades, the 8 tooth ones seems to work really well, when doing a "heavy cut-back" of hedges. The split boom trimmers work well, as we bring both the brush blade attachment and the trimmer attachment, and switch back and forth as needed.

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
well pete, thats my problem, trying to trim thin stuff with the chainsaw, causes the limbs to "bounce around, resulting in "chewed up" looking cuts, not clean cuts. i broke down this morning and spent $280 on echo trimmers

Doc Pete
03-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
well pete, thats my problem, trying to trim thin stuff with the chainsaw, causes the limbs to "bounce around, resulting in "chewed up" looking cuts, not clean cuts. i broke down this morning and spent $280 on echo trimmers

I heard ya. I did have good luck as long as you butt the branch against the stop of the saw, first.
DP

proenterprises
03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
i would use the saw first to knock down the big stuff and then the redmax hedge trimmer to give it a clean cut.