PDA

View Full Version : Sthil hedgers

khutch
03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Arm me w/a little info for the trip to the dealer....Going w/Stihl because it's all I have and I like the dealer....Different models of Stihl hedgers, going to be doing that (hegde/shrub trimming) for the first and I mean very first time. Never trimmed a hedge, hope I don't screw a bunch up learning. Question is: The HS-45 is a light-commercial hedger, but it is a Sthil....Good enough for most light jobs? I know I can go and hand hold all the models at the dealer, but would not mind saving $ by buying only what I need.....What have you Sthil users found and like about the 75, 80 & 85??
On a related note, bid on a property, 4 Million house, 15 min of grass cuttin', who knows how much shrub trimming? They got hundreds of feet of stuff! I tried to say in my head, "How many hours each week is this going take?" Remember, earlier in the post I said I have just never done this. I bid $300 month @ once a week, thinking 2 hours per visit. Lady said other guy bid $260 but she liked my pitch. Got the gig, so the price was right. Now I gotta learn about a lot of varieties of shrubs. When I start next week I am going to be very careful taking off growth. I know it is kinda of an open-ended question, but any suggestions so I don't screw thinks up from the get-go??? Ya gotta learn somewhere but I like having $300 a month jobs......would rather not lose it?

ElephantNest
03-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Yes, I have the Stihl HS45, it starts on the first pull, even after sitting for a month. Plenty of power for most jobs. Clean cut, not too heavy; I really like mine.

Use hand tools when possible, like Felcos or something, especially on shrubs like juniper, lorepetalum, nandina, etc. Just clip the stragglers, kinda even them up. Unless of course they really need to be whacked back. But when you see, for instance, blue juniper that is matted down, got dead silver branches and needles throughout, that's from using power hedgers on them. On those, just reach in and clip the branches from the bottom.

lawnlubber
03-22-2004, 01:24 PM
I use a stihl fs85. That is the string trimmer that you can attach various tools to the shaft. I got the hedger attachment with articulating head. It saw 100+ hrs of use with no trouble. The extra length of the trimmer shaft and the articulating head save almost all ladder work= big time saver.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-22-2004, 01:48 PM
I have the hs-45 and i like them very well.

BW4486
03-22-2004, 09:35 PM
Ive used both HS45 & HS80 and each have advantages and disadvantages.

HS45
Advantages- Light, quick, reliable

Disadvantages- Less power, smaller fuel tank

HS80
Advantages- Strong & powerful, swivel handle, blade lock, large fuel tank.

Disadvantages- Big & heavy, cost more

LLandscaping
03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
I have both the HS45 and HS80. For the smaller more detailed trimming I like the HS45. But, for the larger, and over grown bushes the HS80, has more torque and large fuel tank. So, it just depends on what you will be trimming.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care

twins_lawn_care
03-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Just got a HS45 myself for this year. Made the decision based on the same fact you said, it is a Stihl, so it is better equipment, but since I won't be putting hundreds of hours on it, I felt it was enough for me.
I have yet to use it, but look forward to it!

khutch
03-24-2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen, now back to work!

D Felix
03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
We have the a 45 at work, works fine for what we need it for. Except cutting down ornamental grasses, it tends to bog down with those. Though, what power shear doesn't?

As for pruning the shrubs, you'd be better off in the long run pruning by hand. I hate to use the shears. Most places I just use my Felco's, occasionally I'll break out the two-handed shears. Very seldom do I use the power shears. It's better for the shrubs that way, and believe it or not, it takes less time in the long run too.

Dan