PDA

View Full Version : Grub X on New Lawn

mastercare
03-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Quick question about my own lawn. I purchased a new home last year and the ENTIRE back yard is a weed garden. I'm going to kill it all and re-seed it this spring.

Was walking around yesterday and noticed moles beyond belief and little pencil sized holes throughout the soil. I'd like to get rid of the grubs using Grub-X (Diazonine). But, not real sure when to apply it, and how it could effect the new seeds I need to put down. Should I grub-x before I kill the lawn? Afterwards? After new seeds are planted? Or, do I let the moles continue to feast under the soil, and take care of the grubs after the lawn is established.

If anyone has some experience with these 2 problems combined, please let me know what the best order of operations would be.

Thanks.

Talstar
03-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Dan, if you have an existing grub problem, perhaps you should use a product called Dylox, or Trichlorfon same products. There is also the possibility that the moles are after earth worms, in which case I have no real good answer. If you choose to use the above mentioned product, it will be more effective when irrigated with rain water due to the acidic value of natural irrigation. This also will not affect your seeding program. Hope this helps.

TSM
03-22-2004, 05:56 PM
For my .02$

I agree that Dylox is a much better product than Diazinon.
However,
you say you are going to kill what you have growing now and going to reseed. That being the case, I wouldnt be concerned with the population of grubs you have now. I would recommend you apply a preventative application latter in the spring/early summer of Merit to protect your lawn from any further grub activity. Timing of Merit may be different where you are than from where I am, so watch for beetles. As soon as you see beetles flying around apply the Merit and water it into lawn.

Runner
03-23-2004, 02:01 AM
And also, Grub-ex IS Merit, in case you're wondering where you can find it. Diazinon is no longer available, as it is an organophosphate.
HOWEVER, are you sure you have a grub problem? Are they at or above threshold levels? (Are there more than 4-6 per sq. ft.?) Do you have that much actual grub damage? I somehow doubt that this is the case, as it is really too early for that many grubs to be active, yet. Just because you have moles, does NOT mean you have grubs! The problem with putting that stuff down, especially if you're not even hitting a target pest, is that you are killing alot of beneficial life too. The predators. You put Dialox down for instance, and you're killing alot, including the ants that feed on the chinch bug larvae. The spiders that feed on other insects, as well several other big-eyed bugs. Then the birds go away, the microbial activity stops, and the whole eco-system is disrupted. So, from an educated standpoint, PLEASE find out exactly what it is you need to target (the moles), before just jumping on the "Joe Consumer" bandwagon, and dumping a bunch of unneeded poisons and pesticides into your ground because that is what's available at Home Depot. This is the thing that burns me up about these larger pesticide manufacturers. They don't care when this stuff is sold, or to who, as long as they can just SELL it. Now, please don't get me wrong,.... I'm not saying anything against YOU. It's the companies that are to blame. You can go into these places in OCTOBER, and buy Merit ("Grub-ex"). It's a joke. And most average consumers don't know. They just figure, "well, if it's available, it must be good to put it it down, now".
Now, you talk about marketing, and putting profit before PEOPLE! They just don't care.
Anyway, PM me, and I'd be glad to help you out in advice on how to renovate your lawn, and what order to do what.:rolleyes:

TSM
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
thought I read some time ago that the Scotts company, makers of Grub-X, no longer uses imidacloprid(merit) or maybe it was Bayer, maker of Merit, no longer sells to them (i dont remember, but something like that?)
Read that Grub-x is now Halofenozide (mach2)

I dont use the product, just something i thought i read some time ago.

I was certain that it was not diazinon.

James Cormier
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
TSM, you are right, as of last year grubx is now Mach2

TSM
03-23-2004, 09:03 AM
yeah, thats what i thought.

many homowners who used to get good results with grubX have been complaining of product failure. Mach2 is not all that good controling all species of grub.

Pilgrims' Pride
03-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Does Scotts Lawn Care use strictly Grub X?

TSM
03-23-2004, 09:11 AM
good question Pilgrim, I would assume so, but I really dont know.

mastercare
03-23-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'll need to take some time to see what is REALLY the problem. I just don't like the idea of seeding an entire lawn and have the moles screw up the soil. buying a trap today....see where that gets me for now.

For all who have responded....thanks for the help! :blob1: