PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in Michigan

Adamslawncare
03-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a customer who wants to add some color to a approximately 500 sq. ft. bed in the center of her circle driveway. She mentioned something about cyrstanthamums, but also told me she would be open to suggestions on a low maintainence flower. Any suggestions on what I could use in this situation? I am located in Mid-Michigan.

Adam

Adamslawncare
03-22-2004, 04:40 PM
Also is there any opinions on the type of mulch that I should use in this bed and also in general when I am putting the mulch down around flowers. Thank you for any input.

Adam

Grassmechanic
03-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Does this customer want non-stop color for the entire growing season? If so, annuals are the way to go. If the customer wants different colors at different times of the year, then perennials are the way to go. 500 sq. ft. is not that big, I'd personally go with annuals, or perhaps a display using both perennials/annuals. No mulch with annuals. Natural, undyed mulch around perennials is OK.

Adamslawncare
03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the advice Mike. Where are you located at in S. E. Michigan if you dont mind me asking?

Adam

Grassmechanic
03-24-2004, 07:26 AM
North of Detroit

Artistic Blooms
03-24-2004, 07:40 AM
I would first find out what type of impact your customer is looking for. I like to have color for all seasons even if it is a small bed. Sometimes a small bed can make a hugh impact. How much sun does this area receive? that is important a combination of perennials and annuals with maybe some bulbs for spring( something small like crocus or grape hyacinth. Cedar mulch is always good around any plants.