PDA

View Full Version : when does the kaniving bull#%%$#@ stop?

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 04:46 PM
it never ends. guy calls my newspaper add. he needs a few things done at an unoccupied dwelling. remove ivy, and remove a few large shrubs(junipers and yews) , but only the ones he has marked with a ribbon tied to them. so i go look, there are like 15 there, but only 3 have a ribbon tied to them. so i give him a quote on removing the ivy and the ribboned shrubs. fine he says, go with it. went there today, and wouldn't u know it, ALL 15 SHRUBS HAD A RIBBON TIED TO THEM! what a scammer. when does it ever end?

Pecker
03-22-2004, 04:48 PM
Just do the 3 he had ribbons on when you quoted. Make him pay what you agreed. Or better yet, let him have it!!

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 05:06 PM
my instincts tell me i'll need my shovel for this one

dfor
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
If there is anyone here on LS that I can imagine solving this with the shovel method, its you. Go get'em Pauly.
This is one of those jobs where I'd just keep on driving.

rodfather
03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Well, as I see it bobby, you have 2 choices.

You can get on the phone and tell him the price is now X dollars more cause of there are now 15 and not 3 bushes that need to be tagged.

Or two...

Run, don't walk IMO.

sbvfd592
03-22-2004, 05:19 PM
i whould just call him and be like buddy i dont have time to play games it will cost x amount for me to take out the other 12 if you want them done tell me if u dont well pay up

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-22-2004, 05:24 PM
You call him, tell him nice try, if he wants all 15 taken out, fine, the price goes up. Just take the price and multiply it by 5. If he says no, tell him to bugger off and never call the service again.

1MajorTom
03-22-2004, 05:33 PM
I say it's poor communication on your part.
Women are much better communicators than men. :laugh:
If it would have been me, when I called back, I would have clarified with the guy how many shrubs there actually were.
I would have said, "so now for your price to remove the shrubs, I saw three of them with ribbons, do you only want 3 of them removed?" Then he would have said, "Oh sorry, the ribbons must have blown off.. I want all 15 of them removed."

I say let your wife handle making the calls. She will probably do a better job. :D

cutnitclose
03-22-2004, 05:37 PM
LOL my.......off at Jodi

satxmow
03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
he probally thinks you would send out a crew and tell them to remove the ones with the ribbons.

John Gamba
03-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Call him and say no thanks. You would not get payed anyways.
John

DennisF
03-22-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree with John. Tell the guy to find another service. I wouldn't even take the time to explain why you wouldn't do the job. Time is money and this guy is wasting your time.

bobbygedd
03-22-2004, 06:00 PM
yea cutinitclose, i usually laugh at jodi too. my wife? make calls? ha ha ha ha, i'd be cuttin down the whole nieghborhood for $50, cus she thinks they are nice people

bastalker
03-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Not me.......... I would have gone an trimmed the bushes I origionally looked at with the 3 bushes, then left him a bill......

When he called asking why I hadn't trimmed the other 12, I would have said, well I dont know where them other ribbons came from but when I looked at the job the first time, they wernet there...

Flipperneck
03-22-2004, 06:27 PM
I think satxmow hit the nail on the hammer, If he this much of a weasel he will probably want it done for cash too. Which is convenient when he doesn't pay you.

cutnitclose
03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
You tell em' Bobby.......... I agree with the call them back and tell the guy, that there was some kind of mistake, and you saw 3 ribbons, and bump the fire out of price...... If I had to bet I would say he had someoneelse out there first, that said he would get his crew to pull up the 15 for a price and he thought you would send out your crew........ and he would get it for the 3 price of three.

Lux Lawn
03-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I agree with John he will probably not pay you anyways.Sounds like they guy thinks you are a fool.

NEWINNJ
03-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Maybe he changed his mind and didn't have a chance to call you!!!!

lawnman_scott
03-22-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Not me.......... I would have gone an trimmed the bushes I origionally looked at with the 3 bushes, then left him a bill......

When he called asking why I hadn't trimmed the other 12, I would have said, well I dont know where them other ribbons came from but when I looked at the job the first time, they wernet there... Well he wont pay anyway, so you would be working for free. I would solve the problem by ignoring it. Unprofessional? No, just not worthy of my time and the energy it would take me to speak.

CharlieBingo
03-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Sad to say it never ends, you really have to roll with the punches.

Lawn Dog2001
03-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I agree with Rodfather. Walk dont run. If you do take the job, I would make sure you get the money for all 15 upfront!

Turf Medic
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Cut the three that you originally quoted. Remove the ribbons from the other 12 and tie them to the original 3. Tell him the job is done, you cut the ones with the ribbons and that you appreciate the excellent job of marking that he did, and you are there to collect. He will fall all over himself to pay you thinking that he pulled one over on you. Get cash or run don't walk with the check to his bank to cash it, so he doesn't cancel it.

Flex-Deck
03-22-2004, 09:11 PM
bobbygeld -you do keep this site interesting - you come up with the most unique senarios. I am trying to figure out if some of these are made for movie type, or real. LOL - :confused: :confused: :confused:

olderthandirt
03-22-2004, 09:42 PM
Call the guy up and tell him the ribbons are gone and see if he will meet you at the house to point out which 3 he want to removed and then tell him that the hole they leave would be a great place to put his body after you slice it into 3 pieces for pulling that BS. then accept cash or check

Mac

SWD
03-22-2004, 10:04 PM
short answer, it doesn't:(

KL Squared
03-22-2004, 10:39 PM
I would call him back and clarify what you priced is not what you found. I would then give him the new price. If he agrees then I would ask for payment up front. If he is willing to pull a fast one once then he will probably do it again. If he says no then what have you lost?

Liberty Lawncare
03-22-2004, 11:05 PM
I would call the guy & ask him WTF???? There were 3 ribbons - now there are 15. What do you want to do? Give him the price for how many he wants removed & unless his answer is three, tell him that you expect payment before you start the job.

Tharrell
03-23-2004, 01:22 AM
You're going to need more than a shovel to remove them. As far as the 3 vs all, just say what happened and take it from there.

Darryl G
03-23-2004, 02:04 AM
I would do whatever my contract says. That's what they're for.

Big M LawnnSnow
03-23-2004, 05:22 AM
Simple Fix.
Do the originaly tagged 3 then steal the other 12 ribbons.
Job done...Pay me.
Whats he gonna say..Wheres the other ribbons I put there after you looked at it?

Seriously, I'd call and ask him about it maybe he did just change his mind. And if he turns into a jerk just walk away from it.

GreenMonster
03-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Flex-Deck
bobbygeld -you do keep this site interesting - you come up with the most unique senarios. I am trying to figure out if some of these are made for movie type, or real. LOL - :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sometimes I wonder if BG is on the lawnsite payroll:p

He has a way of keeping us hooked, doesn't he?

Doc Pete
03-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
I say it's poor communication on your part.

MB....... right on target, for once.....:)

bobbygedd
03-23-2004, 07:23 AM
wait a minute, "poor cummunication"? smell the coffee will ya. this guy knows exactly what he is doing, he's trying to get $600 worth of work for $250. and no i wont call him back. i know a mistake when i see one, and i know a kaniving schmuck when i see one. he aint worth the phone call.

P&C Lawn Care
03-23-2004, 07:31 AM
This is where a digital camera comes in handy, take pictures of what you are bidding. Gives you a before and after shot in case you ever go to court or have a dispute. "When I went out there I only saw 3 marked, and here is the picture with a date on it", a picture tells the truth. There are alot of weasels out there when it comes to paying for the work.

metro-hp_48
03-23-2004, 07:37 AM
"a picture tells the truth. There are alot of weasels out there when it comes to paying for the work"

Weasels are bad! (but.......I would be more afraid of the bears, if I was Bobby)

yz250fpilot
03-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by metro-hp_48
"a picture tells the truth. There are alot of weasels out there when it comes to paying for the work"

Weasels are bad! (but.......I would be more afraid of the bears, if I was Bobby)

ROFLMAO!

Doc Pete
03-23-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
wait a minute, "poor cummunication"? smell the coffee will ya. this guy knows exactly what he is doing, he's trying to get $600 worth of work for $250. and no i wont call him back. i know a mistake when i see one, and i know a kaniving schmuck when i see one. he aint worth the phone call.

bobby, all I can say is either the weirdos just keep finding you, or you ain't wearing your weirdo detector hat:)
Face it, it can't always be the other guy......... You need a better smeller to snif these weirdos out...........
DP

1MajorTom
03-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
....... right on target, for once.....:)

Whoa, hold on.... You almost got it correct......... until you added the "for once"... ha ha

Doc Pete
03-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Whoa, hold on.... You almost got it correct......... until you added the "for once"... ha ha

And as I Hope you're finally grasping, this is still supposed to be fun.:D
You need to start thinking of me as just another woman, and a friend:)
DP

cutnitclose
03-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Well after second thought and looking at the pic. "Bobby is a lot bigger than me so I think I will agree with him".........

KathysLGC
03-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Bobby I think a solution to all ur problems would be to have every one pay in advance. Tell them you have to pay out 2% to the strong arm landscapers to keep them from taking ur routes. lol

1MajorTom
03-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Doc Pete
And as I Hope you're finally grasping, this is still supposed to be fun.:D
You need to start thinking of me as just another woman, and a friend:)
DP

Hey Pete,
I think you are cool..
Yeah, you might frustrate me every now and then (lol), but I'm glad you're posting at Lawnsite. You keep me thinking. :)

And see, we thought alike on this thread. We've conquered the first hurdle, now there are many more agreeing moments to come.. :D

Doc Pete
03-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Hey Pete,
I think you are cool.

Uh Oh................. I can hear a "Honey do list" about to be born very shortly:D
I don't do windows.......:p
DP