PDA

View Full Version : What Went Wrong With My Winter Rye

Rhett
03-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Planted a 5000 sq front yard with winter rye from Lesco in October. Used the proper amount and followed with some starter fert plus watered it daily for 30 minutes per zone. Six weeks later had very little growth, a few spots and in the edges. Three weeks ago (Beginning of March) I had three inches of the greenest and densest growth I have ever seen. Yard looks like a golf course. Bad part is that it will all be burnt off in about two weeks. Actually the worst part is that I did not charge them for the 55 bucks worth of seed as hardly any of it came in. Where did I go wrong?

johnhenry
03-22-2004, 06:18 PM
rhett it was a bad winter for winter rye.I overseed lots of bermuda lawns with winter rye.Ground temps were to cold and no prolong warm spells.Even down there by you this year it was colder than usaul.We went to panama in feb and it was alot colder than normal.You didnt do anything wrong.Some years it woks and some dont all depends on ground temps

topher924
03-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Looks to me you are too far south for rie grass.

Rhett
03-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Hey Guys, Thanks for the answers. We were still in the 70s when I put it down with lows in the 59 or so range. Third year planting and have never had such low germination. Even weirder is that it all kicked in this spring.

Thanks Again
Rhett