PDA

View Full Version : The competition's getting desperate now....

justmjc
03-22-2004, 06:58 PM
Since I've had my flyer made up and had included a price that I start pricing from, I've noticed other companies do the same. However, they are writting up $20 flat fees on some, $22 on others, etc....Another company says all lawns cut from $15-$25 depending on the lawn. None state they are insured, and one claims they provide spraying and fertilization. With such cheap rates, I wonder if he's licensed or insured. I'm not in spraying or fertilization, so I don't advertise for it.

Anyways, this just happend recently so I know the competition is getting desperate. The only thing that really boggles my mind is the lack of effort they put into thier flyers. Literally, they are shameful. But, I'm very proud to say that my flyers are about the best looking so far in the area that have gone around and I'm excited about that. I just hope having a pretty good all around flyer will pull more responces than my competition.

$15 for some lawns. LOL. I'm going to hire him to service my accounts and pocket the difference. Damn, scrubs.....

lawnman_scott
03-22-2004, 07:49 PM
How much is a lisence there? What about insurance? $1200 a year for both? Maybe his mortage is less than yours by $200 so he can work cheaper.

jajwrigh
03-22-2004, 08:38 PM
justmjc-

All the scrubs will start to fall off of the face of the earth by mid July when it gets "warm" outside!

workaholic
03-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I dont send any thing out other then price increases at the beginning of each year. Not to say you shouldnt. We have never really had a problem with lowballers and if we do then, if they are willing to do it cheaper they either wont last or the price will increase next year or the following. I do recall this women that was on a fixed income. and she decided to get a lowballer because she thought that i was getting to expensive. Well he didnt last a year and she was calling me back. So i raised her price 5.00 and she excepted and said to me she will never do that again....

dlandscaping
03-22-2004, 09:17 PM
The Vietnamese just passed out a flyer around here saying 2 times monthly $25, 4 times $50. There are 5 crews of them that work from 6am to 7pm. They drive the price down, and every year they get more and more people. Thinking of calling the bbb to see if they are insured, their flyer said "Yard Work". No one here can compete with their prices, and the only way they make money is volume with no overheard.

DFW Area Landscaper
03-22-2004, 09:31 PM
I pulled up to one of my cusotmer's homes today and there was a white 8.5 X 11 note taped to the door. I thought it might have been a note my customer had left for me. It was actually a new business in my area. Low and behold, someone from within my very own industry!!! Lee's Lawn Care. Big bold print: No Contract to Sign. Next line: Weekly service or call us when you want it done.

At least he won't have to worry about lost revenue due to people skipping. Since he has no schedule to begin with, skipping isn't even possible.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

((Just Grass))
09-26-2005, 07:53 PM
The Vietnamese just passed out a flyer around here saying 2 times monthly $25, 4 times $50. There are 5 crews of them that work from 6am to 7pm. They drive the price down, and every year they get more and more people. Thinking of calling the bbb to see if they are insured, their flyer said "Yard Work". No one here can compete with their prices, and the only way they make money is volume with no overheard.

:mad: You know what you HAVE TO DO :gunsfirin :angel: LOL

fishman644
09-26-2005, 08:33 PM
I've had a few try to undercut me by half of what i was charging but i have a very faithful list of customers that i've been with for years and they turned them away. My clients knew they wouldnt get the service and the trust that they get from me. I did have one go with the cheaper price but they were calling me back 3 weeks later and they offered to pay me more.

jplawnservice2005
09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
where in michigan, and how do u get commercial accounts. I want to atlease try to get a few bids in for mainly small unit condo's or apts and a few office building complexs. I have called some property management companies and they dont give me the time of day. I live on the border of Macomb and St. Clair County. Do u have any companies you go though to get bids in for your accounts if you do, can u pass along the name and the number. Thank you

ed2hess
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
where in michigan, and how do u get commercial accounts. I want to atlease try to get a few bids in for mainly small unit condo's or apts and a few office building complexs. I have called some property management companies and they dont give me the time of day. I live on the border of Macomb and St. Clair County. Do u have any companies you go though to get bids in for your accounts if you do, can u pass along the name and the number. Thank you
Welcome to the world of networking(i.e. kissing up).

jpp
09-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Hmnn, this thread was from 3/22/04. Wonder how this turned out?

Runner
09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=justmjc]None state they are insured, and one claims they provide spraying and fertilization. With such cheap rates, I wonder if he's licensed or insured. I'm not in spraying or fertilization, so I don't advertise for it.
QUOTE]

What's the name of the company? Where abouts are you at in Michigan? I can tell you in about two minutes if he's licensed or not. If he isn't, and he has this on his flyers, this is something the the MDA would be very interested in. Don't think for a minute that they wouldn't investigate him and shut him down with a watchful eye ensuing.

dcplace2004
09-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I made this mistake from the start...Let the customers come to you and inquire...put on the flyer "Competitive Rates"...My goal is to learn from the good business people and the good ones DO NOT put prices on the flyers--period, and neither should you...Once you put the price on the flyer, the customer will make the decision then and there...knucklehead down the street may have put one up before you and bid lower...sell you service, not your prices...sell benefits, not features...I sold furniture for a while and customer will pay you any amount if your service or product provides the benefits they imagine they want...they don't care is the fabric is made from super kevlar impregnated materials, they care about the fact that it will last for years from their family's abuse...lowes does not care if you put a crisp edge on their property, they care that it will bring more customers in as a result of your good work...I have done landscaping most of my life, but am new to owning my own business, but if their is one thing I know it is SALES...

westTNlawncare
09-27-2005, 12:14 AM
a guy in our town asked his neighbor who was doing his lawn that it looked good. so my client told him i was and the guy said hey y dont you let me do it and ill do it for $35. my client told him why would i switch when he does it well and he only charges me $25(and it only takes me around 35 min)

dcplace2004
09-27-2005, 01:47 AM
If everyone did this, then things would be so much better...35 dollar minimum on even the smallest of yards...don't people take time into consideration?...I don't care if it takes 13 minutes to do a yard...35 dollar minimum...drive the LBs out of town...

tuscanvalleylandscaping
09-27-2005, 07:20 AM
In my area its the handy man service what a joke. i had one of my new accounts ask about leaf clean up. i gave her a quote of $85 dollars its a small yard very few bushes. she said i was way to high that she had a handy man last year that charged 20 for the first hour and ten after that 45 dollars. another account uses one for snow removal you want to see a joke this guy pulles up with a van & trailer with a small toro snow blower for 15 bucks and drives 15 miles to do it.

LawnBrother
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Damn bro, that sucks. I wouldn't want to compete with indentured servants!