PDA

View Full Version : Flat Free Tires

CamLand
03-22-2004, 07:06 PM
ok i did a search first and didn't come up with info i'm looking for.i'm thinking about flat free tires and need opinion on how good these tires are,these would be for ZTR and WB...

springman26
03-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Good question I'm sick of flats! I also want them for my wheelbarrow, I saw them some where.

lawnman_scott
03-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I have heard they are good for front tires, but for backs they give a bad ride on ztr's. Never used them myself, but im looking into it.

rookiemower
03-22-2004, 07:41 PM
use slime for your tires, forget solid tires on a ZTR to rough of a ride. i would use solid on a wheel barrow though.

Flex-Deck
03-22-2004, 08:25 PM
I have a couple of people around here that have done the foam filled deal all the way around - rear and front - and the foam is like a 23 lb. air pressure ride - he loves them - but he is also in cutting fire wood and uses the tractor for loading and has basically eliminated the thorny locust tree branches from causing the flats. He does not really do any high speed mowing.

Dan the mowing man
03-22-2004, 09:58 PM
I resently purchased zero flat tires from j-thomas for the front of my toro proline. At $31 each including rims to . I think thats a fair price but the bigger the tire the price goes up quick.

metro-hp_48
03-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Dan the mowing man
I resently purchased zero flat tires from j-thomas for the front of my toro proline. At $31 each including rims to . I think thats a fair price but the bigger the tire the price goes up quick.

Got mine from J-thomas, too. I like them (they do ride like air, as advertised......on my Jungle Wheels)

CamLand
03-23-2004, 07:05 AM
thanks for the replys,guess i'll go ahead with the fronts.i figured the backs would be a bit rough and sounds like i got my answers.

MOW ED
03-23-2004, 07:18 AM
You might want to check at your local tire stores. Some of them have a lightweight filler but most use the old stuff that is very heavy. I have had my WB tires filled with the old stuff and it is great for adding some weight to the wb's front end. I would not even consider the heavy stuff for a large drive tire. It would be like an asphalt roller.

metro-hp_48
03-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Good point MOW ED! Forgot to mention how much these Zero Flats weigh. Felt like 25lbs. apiece, so to me, it's better than buying the weights for the front to keep a WB down in the front on hills.

Meg-Mo
03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Check out this web site: www.amerityre.com

ukiekozak
01-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Has any one tried to install run flats on solid rims. There for the front of my ZTR.

JKOOPERS
01-07-2007, 03:19 AM
i bought some of those zero flats from j thomas for all of my velkys what a joke . the idiots there didnt fill the tires enough and they started breaking down inside the tire. the rubbber started falling out. they have replaced them twice finally i said forget it . if mine would have been properly filled they would have been great .

ukiekozak
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I wanted to find out if anyone has mounted Flat free tires on solid rims for the front of a ztr. I just wanted to say I purchased flat free tires for the front of my walk behinds an di love them.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
01-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a buddy who has a lot of highway right of way mowing that is very hard on his tires(especially the fronts). He has a local company fill them with rubberized foam. I don't have any first hand experience with them; but, he loves them.

Grassmechanic
01-08-2007, 09:26 AM
I have heard they are good for front tires, but for backs they give a bad ride on ztr's. Never used them myself, but im looking into it.

If you never tried them, how do you know if the ride is bad.:dizzy: The new, softer foams give an excellent ride. You cannot tell that the difference from foam or air. I've got them and I'll never have another tire not foam filled.

LB1234
01-08-2007, 12:18 PM
I have flat-free tires on both WB's and our Z (fronts only). I don't notice any difference at all. Especially on the Z. I do have the suspension seat so maybe that covers it up...I'm not sure.

We also have flat-frees on our wheelbarrels.

Its one of the best investments we have ever made. Not just the cost of the repairs...but the cost of leaving the job (downtime).

Mr. Vern
01-08-2007, 01:34 PM
If you never tried them, how do you know if the ride is bad.:dizzy: The new, softer foams give an excellent ride. You cannot tell that the difference from foam or air. I've got them and I'll never have another tire not foam filled.

If you read his whole post, you will see that he says "I have heard...". That should answer your question.

As for the wheelbarrow versions - it took some convincing on these forums, but I finally tried them and they are great. The one thing to look out for is that they tend to run narrower which can cause them to sink deeper into the softer soil. Look for the larger ones if this is a problem for you.

pugs
01-08-2007, 06:22 PM
What brand are the ones that Jthomas carries? Or what do they say on the side? I am just curious.

We have sold some of the Foam like ones. I think they say CareFree or something. You can put them on the rims you have with a cone. Havent had any come back so far so they must be working out ok.

Carlisle has some flat free tires out. They come standard on all the Wright mowers now. I cant think of the name of it right now. They are easy to spot as they have like a band going from the rim out to the tread. I dunno if these are replaceable or if you have to buy a rim with them.

wowmowwow
01-08-2007, 06:29 PM
they came stock on my 06 56" mower in the front. in five yrs ive never had a flat on my wb's...but now that ive said that i better go check them

r.eckley
01-08-2007, 07:26 PM
I bought a lazer which came with flat free tires (front) and after first day i knew i did not like them. went back &traded my old fronts. I think they have been on 3 mowers. I thought they really rode exceptionly hard. When driving into trailer you really notice the diff. If you go with reg. tires be sure to slime them.

ribbie78
03-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Anyone try these zero flats on the drive wheels of a hydro wb?

http://j-thomasorder.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit?form_select=I&item_no=TD-543%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%201&source=PS&K=07ZFEXMARK&comp=JTH

FerrisDixie
03-06-2007, 04:45 PM
We are trying out flat free tires this year on one of our Ferris ztrs. I'll keep you guys posted on how well they work and the ride quality.

tinman
03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
I have em on the front of my smaller ZTR. I like em. Ride is not noticeably rougher to me. On the walk behind I see no difference as they are so little. I hate flats so I really like these tires.

mosmgras
03-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Got 'em on the front of all my Z's, Standers, and WB's. I also have them on the rear (steer) and all deck wheels of my 5111. Wouldn't have it any other way.