PDA

View Full Version : SCAG wb deck setup

deadend
03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
I'm new to this site and have a ? about a used SCAG 48 belt-drive wb I bought recently. It has a fixed deck and I'm wondering what is the best position for the blades. The guy I bought it from has the deck set in the highest of three adjustment holes on the frame and adjusted his cut height with the spacers on the front wheels. He has the blades at their lowest height with the spacers on the spindles. The blades are almost even with the bottom of the deck. Would it be better to lower the deck and space the blades up or leave it like it is?

specialtylc
03-22-2004, 08:13 PM
I think most mowers work best with the blades about 1 inch up from the bottom. Its best to set up mower so the front of blades are 1/4 inch lower than the rear. If you change cut height much you will need to set the back of blades higher than this and have more angle to the blades on the lower setting.

gene gls
03-22-2004, 08:28 PM
I would set the blades 1/4" to 1/2" above the bottom edge of the front of the deck. This way, if you feel the deck hit something then you know to stop and back up or the blades might hit the object also. Adjust the deck highth with the spacers on the front wheels.

Gene

deadend
03-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the replys, I didn't think that the blades should be even with the bottom of the deck. How much of pitch overall is acceptable? Say I needed to cut a fescue yard then a Bermuda next, would it be feasible to adjust the deck 3/4-1" by changing the spacers on the front wheels only? Will cut quality be affected by too much pitch?

edward hedrick
03-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Ihave a Scag STHM or 3 wheel. w a fixed deck. I start the season

w 1 on top 4on bottom. Then go to 2 on top 3 on bottom.

I usually have 3 on bottom on castors. If I have 2 and 2 the center rollerhits all the roots. In Sept I go the opposite.
For leaves 1 & 4 w 4 on bottom of caster. Ed

johnbast3
03-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi,i have several scag wbs..Set the deck in the middle to begin with,than,I believe there are four spacers on the front casters,use two on the bottom and two on the top.With 3 spacers between the blade and spindle,you will be cutting at three inches..With the deck set this way,you will have the proper pitch to the front..JB

deadend
03-22-2004, 09:00 PM
What effect if any does the height of the blade inside the deck have on performance? Does it mulch better if higher up? Stripe better?