PDA

View Full Version : I felt Stupid, and It hurt

precisioncut
03-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I was trimming some bushes today and got myself in a tight spot between the bush and a corner of a brick wall. I was swinging the hedge clippers from left to right and moved my left arm out and swung the machine into my arm. It felt like a little pinch but from the looks of all the blood, it wasn't. Tore through many layers of skin and I quickly bandaged it up with paper towels and tape. My wife, a nurse, took care of me soon after. I felt like a d@mn idiot and I'm just happy no one was around to see. I didn't stiches and it will heel soon enough.

Just had to tell everyone how stupid you can feel when you get hurt on the job. Guess I'll be more careful.

Woody82986
03-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Don't feel stupid. Feel greatful that you didn't slash into yourself any deeper or that you didn't harm anyone or anything else. Just goes to show that there is never such a thing as being to careful. I'm glad you didn't cut your arm off!! lol

NNJLandman
03-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Close call, good to hear your ok, I know a lot of people that had some really close encounters just like yours, guy up the street vs. lawn mower, lost a toe guy across the street vs circular saw, lost a hand, and my dad vs hedge trimmers got a good sized cut still has a scar on his thumb

BLC3
03-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Did the same thing in the fall, cut my little finger to the bone.
Only had 5min. left to finish.

luke125
03-22-2004, 11:01 PM
that wasn't that stupid compared to what i did
i was at church popping wheelies and i fell back and cut myself on my leg and had to have stiches

luke125
03-22-2004, 11:04 PM
i forgot to mention i was popping wheelies on a wheelchair

clay duncan
03-22-2004, 11:06 PM
i also did something like that in the fall. i was holding the clippers up over my head and when i lowered the clippers to rest and get some blood back in my arms i set them on my left thigh which pinched a small chunk out. it turned out not that bad but in my mind i thought i was ruined...... clay

SWD
03-22-2004, 11:28 PM
About the only thing I have been into which is close is tree trimming. Way back when, I was trimming a frigging Ficus tree on a golf course I worked at in S Fl. I had another laborer with me, he says something to me, I stop looking at what I'm doing, the breeze picks up and BINGO!
That tree squeezed me between two aerial trunks, shot me outta there like crap through a goose. :)
Still makes me chug an extra just thinking about it!

precisioncut
03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it hurts a little. I have to keep cleaning it up, and the way I work it will get dirty fast and often. I will have to be more careful and remind anyone thats working with me about it as well.

And yes, I am so grateful that what happened is all that happened. Glad to have an arm to work with still. Thanks for the sympathy.

Wells
03-22-2004, 11:49 PM
Ouch man... I've done plenty of stupid ones myself. Don't feel like your the only one thats ever had this kind of thing happen.

competitiveimageland
03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
hey we all have our scars and many great stories behind them :o) could always be worse man
last week i clipped my index finder with the angle grinder while sharpening blades and of course it was on the last one hehe
a few stitches later im good as new

Tharrell
03-23-2004, 02:25 AM
Good thing you wern't trimming dwarf bushes, you could have got your nads. Maybe you need to wear a cup just in case.

odin
03-23-2004, 02:30 AM
those kinds of things happen ...i was changeing blades on a scag walkbehind...one wrench up top of the deck one down under where the blades are...skocket on the blade cracked ...shoved my hand on the sharp blade ...cut it where i could see the bone...nerve damage it still tingles to this day 8 years later...accdents happen .

PaulJ
03-23-2004, 02:39 AM
I got one. It wasn't trimming though.

First thing monday morning last spring I was changing blades and the blade sliced the back of my thumb. Well 6 stitches later I had to explain to the bandage by saying that I now know that my mower blades were sharp enough.

About a month later the same thing happened, and I cut the same thumb in a different spot. Some wound glue did the trick that time. Hasn't happened since so I might have learned my lesson. (knock on wood)

lawncarepros2004
03-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Safety first. Don't become complacent when your off of work either, Say when you're fishing and swilling Bud. Did i tell ya what happenned to my friend Brian while boating and swilling Bud. The day of fishing was done and Brian was docking the boat. One foot on the dock and one on the boat Brian affixed the rope to the boat and cleat. what happenned next would have surely won brian a darwin award if he had died. the boat started to seperate from the dock..............brian shifts around and moves upward to hold the boat. At this moment he hears what he describes as cloth ripping. The cloth ripping sound was actual the ripping of brians ball sack which had somehow caught it self on the boat cleat. A forty stitch hole on his sack. somehow he drove himself to the hospital 20 miles away. Hope we can all learn from Brian's hardship.

Wells
03-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Lawncareprops2004......Ouch...That story makes me cringe.

Cleatus
03-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by NNJLandman
guy across the street vs circular saw, lost a hand

man, that must really suck for him. i feel sorry for him, but you have got to be really bad with one to lose your whole hand. you would almost have to be insane and doing it intentionally.

KathysLGC
03-23-2004, 03:05 PM
My friend was showing me how his pit could hold a bite on dam near anything so he grabs a 2x4, dog takes hole and he lifted him str8 up. Dog decided to let go and my friend was the owner of a broken nose as the 2x4 went thong right clean in the middle if his face. God i still laugh about it.

Meadowbrook
03-23-2004, 04:36 PM
I did that to my leg, wasn't too bad though, but it hurt like hell. I let the trimmers down, was holding them with my right hand and -zing!- I knew that I cut my leg, but funny enough, didn't do a thing to my windpants!

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
03-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Not lawn related.....13 years old riding a moped around my neighborhood in front of my buddy's place. Look up at them dunking on an 8 foot rim, catch a rock, crash the piss out of the moped. Break the mirror off into my knee. Of course I get the biggest piece, about 4 inches long right into my knee. I am stunned and in shock, rip the piece of mirrow out and see Old Faithful spewing like nobody's business. Tell my friend to get a bandaid, he laughs and say run the F-home and go to the hospital. I do, of course when I get there my 10 day old white Adidas are now blood red and I got a hole the size of a silver dollar in my knee. I got a huge towel on it stopping the blood and I am about 15 minutes away from seeing the doctor, pretty amazimg they make you wait with a damn crator in your leg but apparently my M*A*S*H watching days paid off. I am getting anxious and ambulances pull in with a dude who has taken a 12 guage and blown 6/10s of his face off including part of his skull and he is rushed in and then off to surgery. He didnt make it. Then somehow we sit in the emergency room for 3 HOURS! By now I am thinking, hell yeah, I aint gonna need stitches! The hole is the size of a dime now and the bleeding has completely stopped. Just got a hole. Figure shortly it will close up or the doctor will just clean it out and send me on my way. Finally get in, nurse says no stitches. I am pumped, Dr comes in and says 6 stitches son. I said, WHAT? Nurse told me none were needed, Doc says that is why she aint a Doctor. I was so pissed. Here I sit with an open cavity in my body for 3 hours getting passed over by the nurses and now I need stitches? Well, stitches suck. Especially when they stick the god damn needle the size of a flag pole directly, directly, directly in the wound. Did I say directly? DR says no big deal, wont hurt but for a bit. I said the word M-Fer so loud I think the dude who lost half his brain and face heard me down the hall. Then to add insult to injury, the Doc starts to sew it up before the numbing agent has completely taken effect that first poke of the needle and stitch hurt like hell. Knee goes numb, I feel better since it dont hurt no more and I dont have a crator in my leg anymore. I dont know what was worse, the accident, the length of the wait, the length of this story, or the fact my ******bag friend goes to school the next day and tells everyone what a complete ****** I am.

Meadowbrook
03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
oooh...that had to suck.........

CamLand
03-24-2004, 01:22 PM
well back a few years ago i was trimming bushes up on the ladder when lucky me i came across a bees nest realizing i had trimmed into nest, i bailed off ladder trimmers still in hand i caught myself in the upper thigh.well a couple stictes latter and a shot i went back and finished bushes..and bees