PDA

View Full Version : how good is sevin?

coyoteman
03-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Now that diazinon is being fazed out here in canada it seems only sevin is left to use. How effective is it in controlling chinch bugs? We are still permitted to use and purchase commerical class diazinon this year but it seems to already be sold out everywhere, leaving us with what diazinon we have left and then turning to sevin. So having never used it, but hearing nothing good about it, i ask your professional opinions.

P.S. Any canadians know where to find some commercial class diazinon?

Ric
03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Don't be fooled by the low price per gallon of Sevin. Rates are high and cost per application is not cheap.

Sevin is a Carbamate and they are on the Hit list of the EPA as well. It soon will be going the way of Dursban and Diazinon.

Sevin has the Broadest label of any insecticide on the market. It also kills earth worms and microbes that you might not want to target. Try and save it for special uses, There are many other general use insecticides that are safer and more cost effective.

Bluejays
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Not sure where you could get any diazinon. I was lucky and last year managed to purchase a 3 years supply after that I am out of luck.

As for sevin I have heard nothing but complaints about it.

TSM
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
sevin will do a pretty good job on chinch bugs.

it is also labeled for grubs, if you want to kill grubs using sevin you'll need to follow these steps:

#1- dig for grubs
#2- pick up as many grubs as possible
#3- place those grubs on pavement
#4- beat them to death with the bag (or jug if using liquid) of sevin.

If you do not follow those steps, do not expect control of grubs with sevin
:)

James Cormier
03-23-2004, 09:01 AM
TSM, I see your in a good mood today, Its nice to start off the day with a good chuckle....thanks

TSM
03-23-2004, 09:05 AM
me?? in a good mood?

Hey the snow melted yesterday and this morning I answered a dozen calls "when you commin, why are you so late this year?"

HELLO?!?!?! its only the 23rd of March!!!
geez
:)

James Cormier
03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Not much melting over here, this is looking out from the deck in my back yard

coyoteman
03-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Bluejays,
Your one step ahead of the game, If i had of known the market would empty this fast i too would have stock piled. Funny that you can still get it in agriculture class but not commercial. Is there any difference in the product? or is it just the label and a way of the manufacturer limiting his liability? Got lucky this morning and found 12 10L jugs of the commercial label at a local supplier. Other then sevin do you know of any other commercialy registered insecticides that can do a good job.?