PDA

View Full Version : ? about edgers

Craftybigdog
03-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Hey guys I now use a walk behind edger. Well Ive been tosing around buying a stick edger. What is your opinions on the pros and cons of the two and if you were gonna buy a stick edger what would you get? Thanks alot!

rookiemower
03-22-2004, 10:42 PM
the one thing nice about stick edgers is that there light and you can carry them with ease, while walkbehind units are big and bulky. the only downside two a handheld edger would be the power difference, use the walkbehind edger to cut overgrown walks etc. use the handheld to maintain them after you cut them in. i eventually will buy a Kees edger

MudslinginFX4
03-22-2004, 10:51 PM
All we use is stick edgers. I think they are a lot easier to use and a lot faster. We have never had a problem with them. I use echos but there are many good brands.

competitiveimageland
03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
stick edgers are a waste of time if time if you ask me if you want to get an edger ide go with the walkbehind though they are bulky like previously stated you dont need to use the edger every week , i might use mine 'a tanka edger' beautiful machine and light weight once for spring cleanups and maybe two or three time more during the growing season on each property ,for the reason that you are able to keep up with it with the string trimmer, or if you want go for the stick edger , i bought one when stihl first came out with the fs85 with the split shaft and ive probably only ised the edge 3 times at the most , so in my opinion ide go with the walkbehind

competitiveimageland
03-22-2004, 10:57 PM
is their a reason why people put their equiptment inventories when they give feedback , are we supposed to or is it just for conversation? anyone?

NCSERVICE
03-22-2004, 11:17 PM
Stick edgers are the way to go..... people around here edge with every mowing.. really cleans up the appearance of the property. If you have to cut over grown grass off a driveway #1 your not doing your job.. or its a new contract. in which case you use a shovel to clean up and keep it up with a nice light stick edger. mix gas, no oil to check... belts... valves..

MudslinginFX4
03-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by NCSERVICE
Stick edgers are the way to go..... people around here edge with every mowing.. really cleans up the appearance of the property. If you have to cut over grown grass off a driveway #1 your not doing your job.. or its a new contract. in which case you use a shovel to clean up and keep it up with a nice light stick edger. mix gas, no oil to check... belts... valves..

I TOTALLY agree!

competitiveimageland
03-22-2004, 11:23 PM
tanaka edger . mix gas shaft driven light weight and im telling you ive been in this business for a long time and i just see it as a waste of time to use an edger weekly ,its not cost effective im able to do just fine with keeping up with it with the string trimmer .
i went through the same thing a few years ago buying the stihl with an edger attachment and all it does is collect dust

lawncare3
03-22-2004, 11:26 PM
Mc Lane walkbehind. I just bought a Mclane walkbehind about a week ago and it works great. The reason I bought a walkbehind over a stick is because the stick doesn't go in such overgrown areas as the walk behind (IOW: the lack power) FWIW Just keep your walk behind it will be a lot easier on you and much more power. Unless you were to just use the walk behind to do overgrown and then use the stick weekly. But my reasoning for getting a walkbehind was because I have most driveways straight.

competitiveimageland
03-22-2004, 11:28 PM
thats with a brigss 3.5 right?

MudslinginFX4
03-22-2004, 11:29 PM
competitiveimageland, i was reading in one of your other posts earlier that you have some yards where you cut 3 times a week? Personally, I don't see how a homeowners grass needs cut that much but I'll take your word for it. That being said, are you also saying that since you only edge every other week or so that you are only edging those properties every 6 cuts? I quote the customer to edge every cut so I edge every cut, it's not like im not getting paid to do it.

lawncare3
03-22-2004, 11:30 PM
Yes, it's got the 3.5 briggs and works great for very overgrown areas. Plus it was only like $275 after tax.

Neil@PLS
We use stick edgers and would never even consider a walkbehind. Additionally, we edge the property every time we service it (unless they only pay for a mow, very seldom happens). The stick edgers are lighter, more versatile, and we've never had a problem. We edge anything that needs it, not just the curbs, drives, and walks. We edge the patios, the stepping stones, the water valve. It doesn't take that much more time and it adds that crisp, set apart difference to our properties.

Try it, you'll like it!

We use Stihl.

competitiveimageland
well i guess their are just many different scenarios here guys , many different soil compositions and what not , up here string trimmers will get the job done

Runner
03-23-2004, 01:36 AM
If you are going to buy any one edger, and you do not own one as of yet, I STRONGLY suggest a walk behind. The McClane IS a great edger for the money. The reason I recommend a wb, is that they have more power to cut through the thicker stuff with greater ease. The stick edgers are GREAT for being fast, especially for residential drives and such, because they are so fast on and off. However, if you are going to be doing any edging for any measurable amount of time (anything over 5-10 minutes, I'd say), then go with the wb. They are MUCH less labor intensive. With a stick edger, you are constantly pushing down with your lower arm, to keep the blade down in the ground. It gets old after awhile. With a wb, you can just walk along with barely more than a finger and thumb on each handle. Yes, the stickedger DOES have the power to cut through some thick stuff. However, you are exerting the energy into doing this, especially on INITIAL edges, where you may be taking of 1-3 inches. Like I say, if you were going to have any ONE edger, do yourself the favor, and get the wheeled one first. I hardly use mine, because I have the stick, and all my places are pretty much done, as far as the edging goes. BUT, if I ever come across a new job, that needs some serious edging, you can BET that I reach for the wheeled edger, first. It's all a matter of practicality.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-23-2004, 07:01 AM
I have both and neither of mine are a good comercial unit. With that said I like the wheeled edger better, I dont have to carry it and it doesnt take much effort to push it,I like the wheeled edger also because i can set the depth i want and push on, thats just my 2 cents worth

BW4486
03-23-2004, 07:11 AM
We also use stick edgers and use them every time we cut

terracare
03-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Buy a Little Wonder X-tra edger and you will get the best of both worlds

Ed

By the Yard
03-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Neil-

Are you guys charging extra for the properties you guys are "edging"? I agree it makes them stand out and look sharp but I am finding out most guys consider this "extra".

Mark

ElephantNest
03-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Extra? To make the yard look clean? No, same price. Ever since I got the shindaiwa stick edgers, my WB edger has collected dust. There hasn't been ONE overgrown yard that the LE260 couldn't handle.

P.S. Walk Behind edger for sale.

odin
03-23-2004, 08:00 AM
we put 8 point blades on our stick edgers...we edged some city lots that hadnt been edged in years and years ...powered though them like a hot knife thou butter ...after the edge was completed it left strips so wide they were like rolls of sod lol .

ElephantNest
03-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Here's a LE260 on Ebay, hardly used it seems.

Item # 2389115201

dishboy
03-23-2004, 08:21 AM
I own a power trim edger. Only use it on new accounts or maybe the first cutting. I can not imagine using a edger [any kind ] any more than that. My suggestion is get better on the trimmer or a bigger one, because if you can't make it look as good or better than a edger with your trimmer there is something lacking.

ElephantNest
03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Wrong. I can string trim with the best of them, trust me. But line can't make overgrown yards look sharp and crisp on the first cut. I use the trimmer for 95% of my edging, but there is a time the stick is needed, and why pull out a huge 3 or four wheeled sucker when a handheld works as well and much faster?

dishboy
03-23-2004, 09:03 AM
If you edge with the trimmer every time you mow how could the lawn be overgrown?

Neil@PLS
03-23-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by By the Yard
Neil-

Are you guys charging extra for the properties you guys are "edging"? I agree it makes them stand out and look sharp but I am finding out most guys consider this "extra".

Mark

Mark,

We charge by the sq. ft. and have a minimum price. So, no, technically, we don't charge "extra", but we get paid for the service. Thing is going that 'extra mile' has brought in other work (walk-ups, referrals, ect). So the charging extra thing isn't important to us. I'm not sure about other places but here in DFW the grass grows at such a rate that it needs edging everytime.

As far as what others have posted regarding the trimmers working fine, we just disagree, that's all. A trimmer can't give that straight, crisp line that an edger can. Although, I will say, we sometimes follow the edger with the trimmer to clean up the edges even further. It may sound like extra work, but really it's not. The whole process only takes a minute and the rewards are worth it.

Neil

dishboy
03-23-2004, 09:25 AM
I guess I need to buy a digital camera. Some people can trim a straight crisp line with a trimmer on a lawn that has been maintained reguarly, so I agree, we disagree. I have always ran a edger every spring for the first cut , skipped it this year and I see no difference............... and if I read this last year I would say I was full of sh$t.

ElephantNest
03-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by dishboy
If you edge with the trimmer every time you mow how could the lawn be overgrown?

Lol, do you ever get new accounts? I do, and sometimes they are overgrown.

dishboy
03-23-2004, 10:47 AM
ElephphantNest
Did you actually read my original post?

"I own a power trim edger. Only use it on new accounts or maybe the first cutting."

BW4486
03-23-2004, 11:54 AM
No extra it is calculated in the original proposal

competitiveimageland
03-23-2004, 06:46 PM
emc lawns when i say that i dont edge every cut i mean i dont use the stick endger and just go with the string trimmer but ive found that in the dovelopement that i work in , with clean topsoil coverint prolly the first foot or so you ar able to keep up with using the string trimmer and if i dont feel that it looks acceptable to me i go with the adger , and as for mowing three times a week , ive got accounts with these maticulous ritzy kind that want everything done to perfection , with mowung twice weekly and yes i can remember doing it a few time at three a week irragation will do that for you

straightlinelawns
03-23-2004, 08:49 PM
i use stick edgers alot and love them .no problems! also they don't take up alot of room on the trailer because they can be put on a rack which gives you more floor space, which is a big plus to me. also they are very easy to maintain. personally, even if i had to go over the property twice on a new contract or over grown areas, that still is easier,quicker, cheaper to do than tring to repair, change oil, fix, the wb edger, just my thoughts!!!

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
I just bought the Shindiawa M2500 power head with the stick edger attachment today. So far I am not impressed..... It seems very sluggish....not anything like my T230 trimmer.....

Any ideas.........

Derek

protouchlawn
03-24-2004, 06:48 AM
I just picked up the new Stihl 4-mix stick edger last week. I hope to do any overgrown new accounts with my w/b edger and maintain them with the new stick.

Lawnkeeper
03-24-2004, 10:59 AM
I use a stick edger, Honda 4 stroke. Heavy but great results.

ken50
03-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Are the McLane edgers at Home Depot the ones you use, or is there a commercial grade edger that works better?

jajwrigh
03-24-2004, 11:36 PM
I use an echo pas260 unit and the edger works well on it. I will never go back to the walk behinds because of time and mobility. Just my .02

lars24
03-27-2004, 08:47 PM
i just got a stick edger this morning; a steal at 21.99! i came home and did my whole drive, beds, ect.... i don't think my yard had ever been done (new house) it was a little tough in spots, but i was able to get through it. after that experience i'm going to buy an echo with a motor on it monday!

indmowing
03-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Why stick edgers? This is one thing I can't seem to grasp in the comparison between the US and Australia. We generally don't use stick edgers here in Aus, they tried to introduce them some time back and got no-where with it. We put one out at around cost price and still had trouble selling it.

Why do you guys use stick edgers rather then 3 wheeled edgers such as the edger displayed below. The edger shown here will cut any edge no probs at all. I really can't see a stick edger cutting through a highly overgrown edge. Even the Atom edgers that are used here in Aus (pic 2 below) bounce back and struggle on the thick overgrown edgers. Now that they have brought out the Atom edger with the 4-stroke honda motor this is not so much a concern as it is heavier and a lot better then the atom 2-stroke models.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/Edger.gif

http://www.indmowing.com.au/store_images/Atom/20203small.jpg

I am just curious. We seem to do this so much different to you guys yet our lawncare industry is so similar in most other cases.

Ebony

BW4486
03-27-2004, 09:04 PM
Stick edgers are alot quicker especially on curves and i have never met a sidewalk or bed my stihl wont edge

indmowing
03-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Cool - I can see how they are easier to accommodate in the business, but cannot for the life of me see how they are quicker on an un-maintained/overgrown edge. Couldn’t imagine it leaving as crisp or good looking edge either. Just couldn’t see it myself. But the fact that they are similar to a brushcutter in form I can see why you use them

GLS
03-27-2004, 09:53 PM
cannot for the life of me see how they are quicker on an un-maintained/overgrown edge

I wouldn't necessarily say that stick edgers are quickER than a wheeled edger on overgrown edges, but I would say they are just as fast. A stick edger is basically the same thing as a wheeled edger at the business end. But for maintained edges, you can't beat a stick edger. Think of it like this: what's quicker, a handheld string trimmer or a wheeled string trimmer? Plus, a wheeled edger takes up a lot more room than a wheeled edger.

Like BW4486 said, I havn't come across an edge that my stihl couldn't handle (fc85). I use it to re-edge flower beds in the spring. It is really nice for rings around trees.

Precision
03-27-2004, 09:59 PM
I quote a price for edge, mow, weed eat and blow. That is my basic package. I only want people that want their lawns to look professionally done. Hey, they are paying me to advertise.

I use only stick edgers (Stihl). Here in Florida you have to edge everytime and I can edge an average resi lawn in 5 minutes or less. It is just a matter of how fast can you walk.

BW4486
03-28-2004, 08:00 AM
I agree precision- If you go a couple of weeks without edging St Augustine grass it will cover your sidewalks