PDA

View Full Version : My Toro's Stripes

pottstim
03-23-2004, 01:52 AM
Here is a shot I took of the stripes my Toro made after cutting one of my accounts. My friend was kind enough to lend me her digital camera to take the picture. Any comments you guys can make would be appreciated. I am using highlift blades with no striping kit, and I also change my mowing pattern each week. By the way, this is a tall fescue lawn.

pottstim
03-23-2004, 01:56 AM
Here is my toro. Many of you have probably already seen this picture.

Fareway Lawncare
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
You need a Proslide or a roller.

NCSULandscaper
03-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Here is my toro with a striping roller

LB Landscaping
03-23-2004, 06:16 PM
How well does that belt drive pull the sulky?? I'm looking at a belt drive Exmark and was wondering if it could handle a sulky on my flatter lawns.

meets1
03-23-2004, 06:21 PM
NCSULander: hey I have a toro as well and my dealer tells me you can't order a roller for the deck. He told me I need to purchase a rubber style kit that toro sells? Where did you get your from?

rvsuper
03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Meets,
Where in NW IA are you from?

BrianK10
03-23-2004, 09:33 PM
Still waiting for the grass to grow more up here. SLOWLY but surely is getting a little higher. :cry:

Brian

chefdrp
03-23-2004, 10:01 PM
as soon as i saw the pic my mind said velke. loose that. get a pro slide or a 2 wheeler that the tires are in the same spot. do some measuring first. other than that its a nice cut.

bastalker
03-23-2004, 10:14 PM
I agree with rv....A velky doesnt do much for stipes. Matt (NCSU)has a great setup, and lays down some nice stripes. I know he made his own, an did an awsome job. Have him send you the pics, an make one the same as his...He did it fairly cheap as well if I am not mistaken...

Get rid of the velky though.....You can sell it on ebay, an turn around an buy a 2 wheeler on ebay for the same price...Or you could look into a pro-slide. I dont personally like them, cause I dont like having to jump off all the time on sidewalks, an driveways, while I am striping... Once i am on the sulky, I dont wanna get off till I am done...

NCSULandscaper
03-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Matt (NCSU)has a great setup, and lays down some nice stripes. I know he made his own, an did an awsome job. Have him send you the pics, an make one the same as his...He did it fairly cheap as well if I am not mistaken...

Yes did make my own for about $40-50.

Actually you can see the Toro rubber flap kit in that pic also. That alone did an half-ass job but the roller really brought it out.

GRT
03-23-2004, 11:50 PM
To be honest, I don't like velkes either - personal preference. The don't enhance the striping look.

Nevertheless, don't fret if some of your lawns stripe better than others. This can be attributed to different style grasses.

Geoff

pottstim
03-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your replies. I agree with you guys about the velke. It leaves that tire track right in the center, but I'll have to keep it for a while because my pockets aren't too deep right now. Actually, I am very comfortable using the velke while mowing. I do remember someone on here making a striping kit out of chain, and I have thought of trying to make one myself. As far as the belt drive system goes, I haven't had any problems at all. It has pulled me up some pretty good hills with no problems at all, and I weigh in at 225. Part of the time has been in some pretty damp conditions. So far I haven't been able to detect any drive belt slippage.