PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner Stripes

Alto101
03-23-2004, 08:02 AM
While I am not a professional LCO, I do put a lot of effort into our lawn. We just moved into our house last June and had to redo the lawn that the builder put down. It was a standard crap job with rocks, bricks, and even golf balls near the surface with KY 31 seed. We had it killed and then had all the rocks removed and then hydroseeded with some quality turf type tall fescue. Later in the fall I overseeded to thicken the thin spots and will overseed again very soon.

I have a Toro 20036 mulcher and a roller that I purchased here,
http://m-and-d.com/MD-ROLL1.html?id=t4jZCqYx

This was my first attempt at striping with my new roller and am very impressed with the results. I will post more pictures later as I attempt various patterns on the lawn.

Once I get the back lawn looking better I will post pictures of that too.

After seeing some of the fantastic pictures here of professional LCO's stripes I wanted people to see that you can have great looking stripes with just standard homeowner equipment.

Thanks for reading!
Ryan

P.S. I live in Southern Indiana and have about 7000 square feet of grass.

Alto101
03-23-2004, 08:04 AM
Here is another picture of our lawn...

Alto101
03-23-2004, 08:06 AM
One last picture for now......

ElephantNest
03-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Looks great. Nice healthy grass, nice little stripes. Good work!

A.O. Inc.
03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Looks good. You should be very happy with the appearance with you lawn.

FrankenScagMachines
03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Looks great. Where at in southern IN? I'm in Columbus. That's the greenest lawn i've seen so far this year. Looks real nice.

Collegiate
03-23-2004, 09:45 PM
You Should Help out your Neighbor!!
Great Looking Lawn...

Alto101
03-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all of the compliments. I am in New Albany Indiana which is just a few miles north of Louisville.

I applied winterizer fertilizer last fall and my lawn was one of the first to green up this spring. There are other green lawns in the subdivision but there are also some that are still very yellow from winter. I have learned so much about lawn care from this website and others on the web that I notice all the mistakes that other people are making with their lawn. My neighbor next to me, lawn isn't pictured, has Chemlawn treat their lawn and it looks like crap:P But I know that all of you realize how great Chemlawn is..... I see people mowing their lawns real short and then wonder why their lawns aren't lush. People watering a few minutes every day. People applying weed and feed every time they see a weed. Builders puting down crap grass seed without removing the construction debris. The list goes on and on as I know you know. Maybe some of them will ask me how I get my lawn looking nice and I can educate them. Maybe be a lawn care consultant:)

Thanks again for the kind words....
Ryan

pcnservices
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Definitly the best looking lawn in the neighborhood.

BrianK10
03-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Looks excellent.

Brian

rookiemower
03-24-2004, 01:06 AM
thats some beautiful grass, excellent work, to bad customers are not all like you

CamLand
03-24-2004, 01:24 PM
great job,looks awesome:drinkup:

terracare
03-24-2004, 08:19 PM
At least you recognize the concept of striping. That is unheard of for some of our competition around here.

Todd

z_clark
03-24-2004, 09:27 PM
SWEET! thoes are as good as it gets. :)

proenterprises
03-26-2004, 02:16 PM
hey alto-does this striper kit fit any other machine besides a 21". I have a 26" walkbehind, would this one work.....

does anyone know of one that would????

Q-Team Inc
03-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Nice stripes. Looks better than some of the "Professionals" around here. You are probably the talk of the neighborhood. Good work..:drinkup:

BrookLawn
03-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Looks great the striping but here in lower east mi that wont do it people want bigger lines.You can tell a home owner did it.

Alto101
03-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Proenterprises - I think that the striper only fits 21" mowers or something close to it. I don't think it would work with a 26" mower but you could contact the company that makes it and double check.

BrookLawn- Personally, I get much more satisfaction from doing the work myself and if people can tell that my stripes were done by a homeowner that only benefits me. That way I know they realize that I do all the work myself. If my lawn looks as good or better then the lawns done by professionals, then that reflects well on me.

I would love to have the yard size to justify a larger mower to have wider stripes, but with my lot size my 21" Toro works great!

Thanks again for all the comments!

qualitylandscaping
04-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Wow!! The lawn is beautiful..:)

Too bad I can't say the same for the landscaping though..

terracare
04-03-2004, 08:40 PM
nvm... he got banned

WeatherMan
04-03-2004, 09:20 PM
Not trying to bash you but if you take such good care of your lawn, why not take care of the landscape as well. It needs alot of help. But your lawn looks better than great

Collegiate
04-06-2004, 11:30 AM
I was wondering about the Stiping kit that was mentioned. Where can you purchase this for the Push/Self propelled mowers? I have a Husqvarna Self propelled that Strips but would like it to Strip Better that it does. Any suggestions? My 36" Exmark has some awesome strips though.... Wish i had a digital camera, i would post some pics.

Alto101
04-06-2004, 11:58 AM
WeatherMan- You are very correct about the landscaping. We moved into our house last summer and did nothing about the landscape. I put my effort into the lawn because that was something I knew how to do and I figure that the lawn is the most important anyway. This week, we have two professional landscape designers coming out to our house to draw up plans for the landscaping. We are on a budget so we will only do a little at a time but I will post pictures of the new and improved landscaped areas at a later date.

Collegiate - What size is your self-propelled lawnmower that you want to stripe better?