PDA

View Full Version : What's the avg p.s.f. cost for installing lawns?

DPM
03-23-2004, 10:51 AM
For installing lawns, what's the average price p.s.f. to install lawns for a contractor?

Lombardi
03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Overseeding or sod?

DPM
03-23-2004, 12:18 PM
I'll be doing overseeding

Runner
03-23-2004, 04:29 PM
Is it prepped? Unprepped? Rough graded? Already partly established? We have to have a better idea and specifics.

DPM
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
All of the lawns will be of new construction. I'm not sure what shape the property will be in when I get there either, meaning if they are just graded by a bulldozer, then I will have to rent a york rake. I have heard of some guys doing lawns for as low as 10 cents a square ft. Is this right,does this price include the rental of the york rake or even the bailshooter? I really could use some advice on this Thanks!

tiedeman
03-23-2004, 09:54 PM
The way it sounds like if they are only grading by a bulldozer you still have a lot of work left to do.

jeff_0
03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I agree, you still will have a lot of work to do. If there new lawns your not doing overseeding.. Overseeding it going over a existing yard. 10 cents a square ft. would be $100 per k. If all you had to do is put down seed, starter fert, and straw.. then that price would be ok... if you have to do anything more then it's worth more. Have you done this work before?

Randy Scott
03-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by DPM
a contractor?

Ahhhhhh, the key word here, CONTRACTOR.

First off, we wouldn't even do it, contractors can blow me for all I'm concerned. The amount of money a contractor want's to allocate for a lawn is next to nothing. Therefore, butchers and scabs do them for next to nothing, and then when it's all said and done, the customer got exactly what the contractor dictated for lawn expenditure, NOTHING. The homeowner will spend the next five years trying to establish a stand of turf that doesn't have a fighting chance in the two inches of topsoil and half pound of seed per 1000K. Then they'll sell their home and build a new one and do it right this time, that's where we come in. A customer willing to spend money on their lawn install. Of course, that's about one out of a thousand therefore we only do a couple lawns per year. Of course, "billy butcher" lawn guru is now out of business and someone else has replaced him.

Dang, that was kind of a rant, huh? Oh well, it's the truth. Lawn installs are last on my list of work to pursue.

So, to answer your question, probably about 8 cents per square foot. That will include topsoil, prep work, seeding, starter fert, and then whatever ground cover you use.