PDA

View Full Version : grass dies over concreate

jeff_0
03-23-2004, 05:51 PM
A lady had about 6 inches of soil over top of a concreate slab. The grass dies every year she said. she's added about 2 inches of scotts lawn soil to it and seeded it last year and the same thing happened... I though 4 inces of top soil she should be fine, but not in this case. I need some suggestions.

NCSULandscaper
03-23-2004, 06:05 PM
the limestone in the concrete could be leaching out into the soil.

bobbygedd
03-23-2004, 06:09 PM
one time i had this lawn, it kept dying every year, it was driving me nuts, i checked down to about 4-5 inches, everything looked fine. then i had it, and just started digging, about 8-10 inches down i found what once was an old driveway, rocks, broken up concrete, that was my problem. i don't know if theres anything that can be done other than ripping out the concrete

jeff_0
03-23-2004, 06:19 PM
that is what i was thinking.... I guess the onlyway it dig it up...

PALANDSLAVER
03-23-2004, 08:03 PM
This the same problem we have had on a few of our lawns with shallow sewer lines and large drainage pipes. The problem kept happening every year when it got hot and dry. Try encouraging them to put(or let you to) in a small irrigation system and a timmer so it waters during the coolest hours of the day.

jeff_0
03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
she keeps the grass watered.. I really don't think it would help.. any other suggestions?

PALANDSLAVER
03-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Try conducting a cheap Ph test and try boosting it or lowering it according to what it needs.

cantoo
03-23-2004, 08:33 PM
The concrete is acting as a big heat sink. Basically you are cooking the grass.

HicksGroundMgt
03-23-2004, 09:54 PM
here's a novel idea trim it off the concrete!

NickN
03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Does the soil stay wet?I'd think that concrete would create a barrier and not allow proper drainage.Maybe you could drill holes through the soil and all the way through the concrete to allow for better drainage.

Critical Care
03-23-2004, 10:12 PM
I have run into a number of lawns with borders made out of concrete. Generally there is no problem, however I did see at one account where the grass was turning yellow all the way around the border, almost like it had been sprayed with Roundup.

What palandslaver and NCSU are saying may be correct about the leaching of the lime, and taking a Ph test would be informative.

Of course a cement slab sure doesn't provide good drainage. Water too much and the soil will saturate; don't water enough and it will dry out quickly and die. This area can't be treated like turf on good soil. For this area it should be watered much more frequently in warm weather, but at shorter run times as to avoid saturating what soil there is.

Critical Care
03-23-2004, 10:20 PM
You know, I was just thinking. Isn't it amazing how grass will grow over a sidewalk or out over an asphalt driveway when you don't want it to, and yet the stupid stuff manages to do fine. And then here is an example of a situation where you try to help it do it's thing and it wimps out! Can't win for losing.

Randy Scott
03-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by jeff_0
I though 4 inces of top soil she should be fine, but not in this case. I need some suggestions.

4 inches of topsoil is fine, but you need subsoil underneath that for the root zone to go into and be able to draw water from it during times of drought. Roots will usually be in the range of 8 to 12 inches in depth, some up to 18 inches in prime conditions. There's a reason for this, they go to where the water is and need to do so during times of drought. As mentioned before, that's how you know where peoples laterals are in their yard, it's the first areas to show signs of stress. Obviously the concrete slab needs to come out, plain and simple.

thfireman
03-23-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by cantoo
The concrete is acting as a big heat sink. Basically you are cooking the grass.

BINGO!:cool:

Phishook
03-24-2004, 12:53 AM
Yep. It's just cooking it and not letting the roots get to water. I've got several place with that problem. It's usually a septic tank, old side walk, or an old gravel drive.