PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on Meg-Mo Blades

Brian M
03-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Looking for feedback on Meg-Mo Blades, with the high price of these blades I would like to hear what those of you that have tried them have to say about them!
Do they really keep the underside of your deck clean even in thick wet grass?
Can they go several weeks without sharpening and still give a quality cut?
How is the balance and noise level?
And any other input you can give that would help me make up my mind on these blades.
Basically, is it a gimmick or a revolutionary improvement for the Lawn Care Biz?

Thanks,
Brian

rookiemower
03-23-2004, 09:01 PM
i have a set of meg-mo's only used them once. boy do they produce some MAJOR lift, the mower sounds like a 747 flying a hundred feet over your house. now, i only used them once last season on a cleanup, so i can't tell you how'll they will mulch but i hope it as everyone says they are. the only thing that scares me is the noise they make when they start, i hope the blades swinging into action don't decrease my spindle life.

Brian M
03-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the reply Rookiemower,
so they are a bit loud huh?
Well maybe that means they create a lot of lift, as far as the blades starting up what does that sound like???
Their website claims that the meg-mo blades will extend the life of the spindles. Does the deck vibrate a lot when the spindles start spinnin' the meg-mo's?:confused:

gorrell
03-23-2004, 09:12 PM
As rookiemower said, they do produce some tremendous lift. The first day I put them on my 50hp DC diesel my helper said he could tell the difference in the sound of the deck from over 300 yards away. They mulched leaves like you'd gone over them 3 or 4 times. I liked them so well I've purchased 3 more sets to go on all 4 of my 72" Dixie diesels. I anticipate sharpening to be no problem. I used the first set last fall approximately 3 weeks and saw very little need to sharpen at that point. These are not "snake oil" they are the real deal.................Lynn

riden2low
03-23-2004, 09:27 PM
I have started this season with a set on a 36 Gravely. I like the cut and the bagging is great but been trying to mulch with them with a special plate made to block the chute and I find that I have to raise the deck about once a week to clean it out but I had the mulch kit on my Exmarks and I had to clean them too so I am use to it. As for sharping the blades, I have sharpen them once and I have been mowing for six weeks now and they still have an reasonable edge on them.

Brian M
03-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Why do you think they go so long without having to be sharpened?
How often were you guys sharpening your regular blades compared to the meg-mo's?
I sharpened mine like every week or so, which was about every 10 engine hours or so and I thought I was streching it as it was.

rookiemower
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
no the deck does not vibrate, but in the initial clutch startup it sounds bad, i definitly don't want to be buying any new clutchs either. the blades are all seperate and swing freely and i believe when the centrifical force starts them the swing out and make a TWACK noise does anyone know if this is normal, it worries me alittle, any help would be appreciated. Also meg-mo has great customer support

Brian M
03-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Rookiemower,
You say they have great customer support did you ask them about that TWACK noise?
If there is no vibration on startup then I think the spindles will be ok, but the clutch may wear prematurely with that TWACK noise that you mentioned, I'd ask them about that!
But who knows, maybe it's considered normal. Time will tell if it wears the clutch or not.

Shady Brook
03-24-2004, 12:24 AM
I hope these things mow like everybody says, if enough fellas I know and respect enjoy them, I will be inline to do likewise. I do have some concerns. I am a bit skeptical when folks say they can go for 6 weeks and only sharpen 1 time, and folks that say the deck is always clean, even in wet conditions, and when people say that they mulch so well that it is like you ran over the lawn 3 times. These things sound great, but unrealistic based on my experience.

I sharpen blades every day or two in the Spring. I want em very sharp, and don't mind sharpening often to get the best performance. Whether I hit anything hard or not, the blades slowly dull, and I don't see how the Meg-mo's can be any different.

I also don't see how they will mulch any better, or discharge any finer then a double blade setup. The nature of the deck to me determines how fine something is mulched. For example, the Toro SFS deck has a huge frontal area, the grass is cut and rides a wave out to the front and it is discharged. Everyone says if you cut off 3 inches, 3 inch pieces are what comes out the shoot. Now the Meg-mo's are supposed to create alot of vacume, and lift which I don't doubt they do, and from what I have read they will really launch the grass, wich I imagine they would be great at but....is it possible that they keep the grass under the deck longer so the grass is cut finer and still do the lifting and dischargeing as would be expected? I, myself don't see how it is possible that they will cut things finer then doubles, or really even singles for that matter, and still have the lift and discharge performance. They seem like mutually exclusive functions to me. If it stays under the deck longer, it is not going to be great at dischargeing.

I am not trying to be critical, I hope the product is awsome, and everyone can benifit. I like the idea of someone stepping up and trying to produce a prodcut like the doubles, and maybe even improving upon that idea. I just hope that people don't want to see great things from the blades so bad, that their descriptions may tainted by their desire for the spectacular. I do this myself, and have purchased mowers, and think that is the greatest. In part because it is new to me, and I am excited, but also because I want so badly for it to be great that I try to talk myself and everyone else into believing it.

Maybe it is none of my business, but I sometimes buy things because of the praise they receive from respected lawnsite members. I guess it is my hope that with this product people will try to be as accurate in describing their results as possible because there are alot of eyes watching, and alot of dollars at stake when purchases are made.

For what it is worth.
Jay

Brian M
03-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Excellent reply Shady Brook, I hear what your saying, That's why I started this thread again, I read the other posts about this product and saw a lot of hostility toward it which is why I specifically asked for posts from people who have purchase this product. But I agree with most everything you said, if it works as well as people have stated it is a major revelation to the green industry, I too hope everything said about these blades are true, but as we all know, everyone has an opinion but that doesn't mean their right. I guess I’ll have to buy them and decide for myself, but the fact that I emailed Meg-Mo about whether they have a “money back guarantee” and never received a reply twice, says a lot.
Jay, you mentioned the Toro SFS deck, I was considering buying a 2002 Z287L but heard a lot of bad things about that deck, is it true? is it a lousy deck on wet grass?

Shady Brook
03-24-2004, 01:01 AM
Hey Brian

Glad you took my post as constructive, and not the comments of a complete madman. I am cross eyed tired presently. I have never had a SFS deck, but many posts indicate that they cut nicely in wet conditions because they have such air flow, and get the grass out so quicly. The deck is very wide with a great deal of room out front. I would think it would be an outstanding deck in moist conditions. From friends who have had them the problem appears to be getting the grass cut fine enough to make it disapear in heavy growth. Lots of double and triple cutting which I don't have that much time for.

Spent some time talking to the Toro rep last friday and he said in testing along side the new Turbo Force deck, the SFS deck was blown away! That was his words, both machines are his companies designs, and he said their was no comparison. He did say that in the wide open position on the Turbo Force you could get results that were in the ball park of the SFS performing in its best range, but as far as over all performance the Turbo Force shined. He said they are incorporating the design into the walkbehinds very soon which should lead us to believe the deck is a superior design. To me the thickness of the deck has to make it a better performer, at 5.5" thick, it has to be good in tall grass.

Do get some blades and give us an unbiased opinion Brian! :D I would welcome reading your thoughts on them, and maybe it would help me spend some money too.

Take care
Jay

Brian M
03-24-2004, 01:18 AM
Ok Jay, Will probably be ordering them soon, just wish Meg-Mo would have returned my email about whether or not they have a "money back guarantee, but yeah that's too bad about the SFS deck, I really liked that used Z287L i saw a few weeks ago, but it figures that Toro sooner or later would all of a sudden come up with a newly designed deck that just so happened to be very similar to Exmarks Ultracut deck minus the adjustable discharge baffle.
I know what you mean about being cross-eyed, I personally drank way too much coffee today and am paying the price, but it's nice to be able to turn to this site night or day or even very early in the morn to get some biz advice that might be able to save some valuable $$$ or heartache!!!

bastalker
03-24-2004, 01:38 AM
I have a 60" lazer...I buy 5 sets a blades for $140. These sets of blades will last me 2 years.

I buy a set of Meg mo's for $180. Will they last me 2 years? They might, not likely though, with the rough cutting I do up here. Rocks everywhere, exposed tree roots, to name a few...I will have to replace the knives by the end of the year. There are 12 of them at almost $4.00 a knife.

Now there are several who do just open mowing. No obsticles. No new rocks showing up every other time you cut. These blades would probably work awsome...Never have to sharpen them, always balanced etc...

In my neck of the woods they wouldn't be cost efficient.

Brian, I see you are from the same neck of the woods. Would they be cost efficient for you?

I ask you this. If you have a set of $30 blades on your mower an you hit a rock. Would you feel the same with a $180 set of blades on there an hit the same rock?

DLCS
03-24-2004, 10:06 AM
The thwack noise you hear at startup is normal it is from the blades swinging during startup. I haven't seen any vibration from using these blades and I'm going at least twice as long between sharpenings. They do a awsome job mulching leaves.

Brian,

Give Meg Mo a call, maybe he missed your e-mails. Last I knew he still had his money back guarantee.

Meg-Mo
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
Brian, We do have full warranty on our blades. We have not received any emails from you.

Our blades stay sharper because they are free swing and we use better steel and blades are rockwell harder. The noise on start up will basically go away in a couple weeks.

If you have any more questions please feel free to call.

We have shipped blades for 10 years and have around 50,000 sold. We have less than a 1/2% return. This is why we warranty 100%.

Shady Brook
03-24-2004, 02:03 PM
What is the Rockwell hardness for your blades?

Thanks
Jay

MR. Nomo
03-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Meg-Mo,

It might be more accurate to say you garrantee at 80%.

When I called there was a 20% restocking fee.

Is this still the case?

lonnie
03-24-2004, 02:33 PM
I was also wondering if they would mulch better with the meg-mo because even though it mows excellent in wet and tall grass. It does tend to shoot out large clippings. I have a 36" sfs deck and was wondering if there are any modifications that I have to make to get them to fit my deck?

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
03-24-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Brian M
Why do you think they go so long without having to be sharpened?
How often were you guys sharpening your regular blades compared to the meg-mo's?
I sharpened mine like every week or so, which was about every 10 engine hours or so and I thought I was streching it as it was.

I sharpen my blades everynight after a long day of mowing. Just cant get more than 1-2 days when mowing 15 yards a day! :D

Brian M
03-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi Meg-Mo,
Yes I emailed you several times using the email link on your website, I believe it was customer service@megmo.com some one got it because I never received an undeliverable mail message.
Anyways I'll try the email address you gave in you pm.
But I simply asked if there was a "money back guarantee" is all.
Didn't mean to make a big deal about it, I would like to try them to see if the do live up to most of the claims made on your website, I’m sure with different machines thy may work better or worse! if they do work out well for me I'll order more, if they don't I want to be able to send them back.

Meg-Mo
03-25-2004, 12:55 PM
The warranty is 100%. I was told when I started working here that we charge a 20% restocking fee, but Roy decided that we will warranty a 100%. I will be telling customers correctly from now on. My fault and I apologize.

The Rockwell of the Meg-Mo's is in the 50 range.

Most decks do not need to be modified.

A good rule of thumb is to sharpen every 60 hours.

I hope we have answered most of the questions you have. Please call or email if you have any more questions and we would be happy to answer them.

Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. Kalah