PDA

View Full Version : Discharge Blockers

PR Fect
03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
OK, who is using them and why. What kind? Trimmer Trap / Blade Blocker, Master Chute, W.E. Chaps Grass Handler

STAN1366
03-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I've got a Trimmer Trap on my Lazer. Not the best out there though. I think it cost me $160, but the handle wobbles a bit where it goes into the deck mount. It serves it's purpose, but if I had to, I'd get the Master Chute since you don't have to move your hand from the control.

PR Fect
03-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Same story, i should have known. Twice the cost, twice as good.

STAN1366
03-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by PR Fect
Same story, i should have known. Twice the cost, twice as good.
That's not always true, but after using one that has to be opened/closed manually, it only make sense to have a foot operated OCDC, after all, ya got 2 feet just doing nothing but your hands ALWAYS have to be on the controls.

Tharrell
03-24-2004, 02:57 AM
I fabricated one just like the masterchute. It uses an electric window motor.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Got any pix of that window opener chute

PR Fect
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Does it stay shut? The master chute video shows one going across a lawn, but you really can't see how tall the grass is. When your really throwing clippings, say with doubles, does it stay shut?

WAGS LandL
03-24-2004, 07:12 AM
I use one called the director on both my lazers. It is from York
Sheet Metal. It fits all exmark riders and I think scag. Excellent
product, well built and simple to use. It does stay closed no
matter how tall the grass. Well worth it for keeping clippings out
of flower beds, out of the street, driveway, parking lot etc. Also
good in the fall with mulching up leaves.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2004, 07:33 AM
Wags landl do you have a website for the one you have , i done a search but didnt have any luck

Tharrell
03-24-2004, 09:18 AM
I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of mine. It looks and works just like a masterchute. I simply bought an electric window motor, wiring and a switch. I had a welding shop make the brackets and all. You can get a motor from a junkyard or go to an auto parts store like I did and just put a new one on. It's really sweet to open and close on the fly without stopping.

WAGS LandL
03-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Grass cuttin fool,
It is yorksheet.com, the site is not totally updated though, so
if you need a particular model you may want to call. Number is
on the website. They also make them for exmark walkbehinds too.
Hope this helps.

MasterForm
03-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by PR Fect
Does it stay shut? The master chute video shows one going across a lawn, but you really can't see how tall the grass is. When your really throwing clippings, say with doubles, does it stay shut?

It stays where you put it. You can adjust the closure position to any position, the airflow or grass won't affect it.

MasterForm
03-25-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Tharrell
It looks and works just like a masterchute. I simply bought an electric window motor, wiring and a switch. You can get a motor from a junkyard or go to an auto parts store like I did and just put a new one on. It's really sweet to open and close on the fly without stopping.

Good luck with the longevity with that motor.

We tested a system like that and it won't last long.

Tharrell
03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Works great. The only potential problem is the nylon rollers in the gear housing. These can easily be replaced by aluminum slugs of the same diameter. The units are designed with nylon rollers because people tend to hold the button up/down longer than required. Your video is telling, mine operates EXACTLY the same way. To be fair, I paid more than I should have to get it fabricated.I would have purchased one from MC but, it wasn't available last year. My rollers haven't needed replacement but, I researched it and IF the motor needs anything, most times it's the rollers that mess up because of the reasons outlined above.

gator-town
03-26-2004, 12:52 PM
www.trimmertrap.com/accessories/bb1.htm (http://www.trimmertrap.com/accessories/bb1.htm)

looks good but the handle does look a little wabbely .

PR Fect
03-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Gator-town, thanks for the link. I seen them before. Looks to me as though the gate does not open fully. Afraid it would hit when we load mower on trailer. I'm leaning on getting the masterchute if they can make the adapter plate for my Toro. Have not gave up on the qwikchute yet though. www. qwikchute.com

gl1200a
06-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I would gladly buy a Masterchute this second if they made one for my John Deere. They don't and I would much rather have one that is power operated by my lazy feet instead of my busy hands. So I guess I fabricate.

draftlawncare
06-25-2004, 09:48 PM
hey masterchute glad to see your still alive i have been calling you since last tuesday about the masterchute you sent me ,left you an email and you have not called back . The new one you sent worked for 4 days and broke i really need to get this taken care of

Tharrell
06-26-2004, 04:00 AM
Here's a pic of mine.

gl1200a
06-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Hey Tharrell, can you give me the link for the site that tells how to beef up the gearing in the power window motors so I can reasearch that. Though I'm thinking if I get a motor for a rear window wiper that swings about 180 degrees that would take it from closed to straight up. Most windshield wiper motor only swing about 90 degrees leaving the chute blocker from closed to straight out into harms way. But, you have already proven your window motor.

Thank you.

gl1200a
06-26-2004, 06:25 PM
Also Tharrell... what motor did you use...make and model? Or was it just one you found available at the salvage yard?

PR Fect
06-27-2004, 09:50 AM
That's some dam fine fabricating! Lots of trial and error?

65hoss
06-28-2004, 09:51 PM
ezchute, I got it a week or 2 ago. I like it.

GeeVee
06-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Nice Tharrel

GL 1200-
For opening and closed positions, you only need a known rotation length and design cams for that.

Think about it like this" If you had 90* or 180*, if you didn't use the other three quarters or half you could get with the right cam levers, why bother?