PDA

View Full Version : ferris walk behinds

naterskater
03-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Looking for anyone running or that has run Ferris equipment to give me their two cents worth. I am currently running a Scag 52 ultimate deck w/ a 17 hp kawa. I believe that it is just underpowered but no other complaints. I just looked at a Ferris 52 with a 23hp Kawa. It is a great looking machine, with a wide low stance to the ground. The ferris is definitely laid out more radically than any of the other w/b's that I have seen. Can anyone give me some info concerning these mowers and how they stack up with the rest of the field?

Shady Brook
03-24-2004, 01:41 AM
I have a 52 Ferris dual Hydro. I have much smaller engine, so likely it would not compare. I like it fine, built lick a concrete block. I thought my scags were stout? If I felt the need for a big walkbehind, and was willing to pay near 6k for one...which I am not as my preference is to sit and move faster, and have deck height changes at my finger tips, but if I were to look at a big honkin walkbehind I would walkover and lay my money down on a Hustler SWB, no ifs ands or buts. I think the controls are vastly superior to the ferris. I like the Ferris better then the pistol grip scags, but they can be fatigueing just the same. If I get a new walkbehind in the future, it will be a Huster. The new Wright's dolook nice is a small unit I must say.

I wish you luck
Jay

aklandscape
03-24-2004, 02:19 AM
I have an older ferris 48" cut with a 14 horse motor single drive that I bought to do some cemeteries with about 3 yrs ago and it is built like a tank. No problems other than a drive pulley last year.I would buy another.

rodfather
03-24-2004, 08:24 AM
We've been running Ferris machines for the last 9 years now...15 or more of them including 3-wheelers, WB's, and Z's. I love them for their reliability. Only major thing that ever went wrong on any of them was a hydro that went bad after 4 years and it was still covered under warranty.

LawnCrafters
03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
I run all Ferris hydro walk behinds and love them. They're built bullet proof. I especially like the controlls on them, they're really comfortable and the foot operated neutral is alot nicer, imo, than the thumb locks. The hydraulics are great too, never had to replace any. The pumps are directly connected to the motors, no hoses, with individual cooling fans.

jsaunders
03-24-2004, 08:41 PM
good machines but I don't really like the decks to much, and there are hoses for the hydros, a belt was alittle lose and rubbed one of my hoses. was an easy fix but messy.

Cut 2 Please
03-24-2004, 10:02 PM
I have been running Ferris up until last Dec. when I bought an Exmark. I like the Exmark much better. It seems to cut much better and definately mulches better.

amar
03-24-2004, 10:15 PM
I have a 52 Ferris hydro 17 Kaw I keep it around for those seniors who complain about those "huge tractors" (ie 60" Hustler, Exmark) never had an issue except the spindles. They wore out at around 600 hours. That was my fault for lack of lube. The foot operated neutral is great

LawnCrafters
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Sorry, I meant that there were no hoses from the hydro pumps to the hydro wheel motors. Yes there are hoses from the resiviors to the pumps, but they're not a high pressure line.

Roger
03-25-2004, 12:57 PM
Shady Brook,

I took a good look at the new Wright w/b at a Turf show in late February. After a few minutes, I realized that the controls are a real problem. I'm amazed that they even brought it to market.

The problem is that they have pistols grips with speed control levers under the pistols, but WITHOUT any kind of cruise. The Ferris and Exmarks, among others, have a ground drive control for maximum speed. Releasing the controls on tlhe grips means the machine will drive at the speed set on the ground speed control lever. But the Wright has no such lever. This means that both hands must hold the speed, all the time. And, there is no way to index their position, other than your own hands!

The control is similar to the Stander, but in the Stander, both levers come close together so they can be grasped with one hand, and moved relative to one another easily. In the case of the w/b, the controls are 18" apart, each totally independent, each needing to be managed by the right and left hands. I can't imaging trying to make straight passes, keep a constant speed over rough terrain, etc -- all by keeping each control in a very exacting position.

I could be wrong, but I suspect Wright got caught up in patent problems, just like others got caught in their patent problems with the stand-on mowers. They had to develop something different, but the solution is not workable at all, at least in my observation.

When I asked at the trade show to see the Wright w/b more closely, and I soon discovered the problem I stated above, the two people showing the product quickly scooted me over to see the Ferris. They knew the problem, and also knew they had another offering to put to rest my concerns.

For those who have looked at Wright w/b closely, have I mischaracterized this machine? I am willing to be told otherwise, but if I'm right, then I am afraid Wright has a "wrong" on their hands! (pun intended)

Itsgottobegreen
03-29-2004, 06:49 PM
The velky mower was designed to provide the best comfort to the operator. On a walk behine you should have both hands on the control when riding a velky. So when you hit a bump, you don't go spining around in a circle. Another reason it was designed that why. I have ran one. Its a very nice machine. A little hard to get used to just like the stander. But once master easy to use.

For ferris I used to have a 48" Hydrowalk SD. It was built like a tank. But would have problems on hills side ways. One tire would start to spin and then it was all over. You couldn't go anywhere. Great on flat ground. I liked how it stoped soon as you let go. I bought it for $1900 and sold it for $2000 and used it for a year. I did spend $200 for a grassgobbler and $150 repair job. The Dual drives are great very heavy constuction.

MacLawnCo
03-29-2004, 10:43 PM
the dual drives are nice machines. very heavy duty and great waranty.

mowerman52
03-30-2004, 12:26 AM
I have used my boss's Honda 48,and 52's for the past 4 years, but always gawked at the guys who had the Ferris mowers. They are the cadilac's of the industry. I just bought a 36" SD, and a 52" DD and love them. They have a wide low stance and a much lower center of gravity than the Honda's (which were discontinued). The controls are very comfortable. I always got calluses on my thumbs from the thumb locks on the Honda's. The foot opperated neutral is great. Wouldn't use another brand of mower for walk behinds.

KathysLGC
03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
I got the 48" DD hydro and it's off the hook. I'm thinking of selling it to get a ferris Z but I'm undecided as what to ask for. i was think$4500. but then some one can get a used Z for that. This mower is tough for me to part with. I did have to replace a hydro ($700) due to my error. There was a small leak and i never noticed untill it was too late. replaced all hoses and it's all good. Never had any other problem. Stripes great with out a kit altho i am going to make one for it just to see the difference.
The DD does weigh alot. When my hydro went i had to use a come along to pull it up onto my truck. What a nightmare!

Pat Daniels
04-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Traded a 32 belt drive exmark for a 32 single ferris. Cant cut on a hillside with the ferris. Give me my exmark back

grassredneck
04-04-2004, 12:28 AM
I have a single hydro 36" Ferris and have nothing but great things to say about it, I'd narrowed it dn to Scag or the Ferris and the Ferris got me because of the disc brakes and the comfortable controls