PDA

View Full Version : please help!!!!!

bfnc2003
03-23-2004, 10:51 PM
I was in the lawn care and landscaping biz for 4yrs. I worked as a lead man for a buddy of mine. I ended up moving away for 4yrs and now I am back in town. I ve bought a home and plan on staying in this area. I have done just about everything there is to do in the business (labor wise) just I dont have the experience bidding and pricing jobs. Right now I Have 5 yards a week that I mow on Saturday I start at 9:00 and am finished by 12:30 I make an extra 200 bucks. I want to get bigger but my current full time job will not allow me to do so. My phone rings constantly but I am turning down work. I also pick up alot of handyman work for elderly people from time to time. Someone just please tell me to go for it so I will get off my A$$ and do something!!! My problem is I am scared to turn my current job a loose because of the benefit package we have. I am 25 yrs old. and have a 8 yr old daughter whom I have custody of. Is the risk worth taking????
Thanks
BRad

NickN
03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Your kid comes first.Don't dive in when you have a little one depending on you.
If you're finishing by 12:30,you can take on alot more work for Saturday.Why not 400 to 500 on Saturday?When you start making what you are at your full time job AND can provide your family with health care AND make enough in the winter,THEN go full time.

Randy Scott
03-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by NickN
When you start making what you are at your full time job AND can provide your family with health care AND make enough in the winter,THEN go full time.

And how do you propose he does that while working a full-time job? Should he crap another 24 hours for each day.

You either have a game plan and go for it, or you don't. There is no middle road. You either have the confidence and will to succeed, or you don't. Starting a business isn't a lateral movement as so many of you think it is. It's a step back-wards with the intent to build bigger and better than where you are currently at. If any of you think you can gather enough work, or generate enough revenue while still working a full-time job, you're dreaming.

I suggest putting away some money, a good chunk of money, to get yourself through the slow and rough times of starting a new business or when finally going full-time. Then, when your maxed out with work, and have a respectable customer base, leave the full-time job and give 'er h e l l!

Do you want to be a leader, or a follower? Plain and simple! Business owners pave the way, employees just clean it behind them.

NickN
03-24-2004, 12:01 AM
I'm sorry,but when there's a child involved you don't have the convenience of stepping back.Are you going to provide his kid with medical care when she needs it?How about food?Because daddy can't buy food.He's got a mower to pay for.

Flipperneck
03-24-2004, 12:21 AM
how about 7 am to 7pm on saturday and some work on sunday. If you did this for a month saved it and had more work lined up like mulching planting scheduled for your break off from your fulltime gig. You have alot of work to do, I think you aught to get started. Next person that calls you for anything other then mowing that you can't do in the next couple weeks schedule them way ahead of time if they say no, you in a sense didn't lose anything because you were turning them down anyway. A couple of months without cup o noodle ain't gonna kill ya, at least I don't think it will. Work your butt of and save up as much money as you can. If you are already doing it I suppose you have equipment. Just remember the winter will be tough financially especially your first. Plan ahead and take care of that kid.

Randy Scott
03-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by NickN
I'm sorry,but when there's a child involved you don't have the convenience of stepping back.Are you going to provide his kid with medical care when she needs it?How about food?Because daddy can't buy food.He's got a mower to pay for.

So, of the millions of people in this country, nobody has ever started a business with a small child? Weak, weak excuses.

That's why you need a game plan, you need to plan ahead. I'm not saying to jump into it without any preparation. Just don't let yourself go through life wondering "what if"! Get a helper, continue to grow your client base, make people aware that next season you'll be full-time and to tell friends about you. Start thinking about next year now.

twins_lawn_care
03-24-2004, 10:21 AM
I am in a similar situation. I have a wife and two 19 month old boys. It is not stopping me from moving ahead by any means, but what it is doing is making me work that much harder, and doing that much more research to know when I can switch over. I won't do it until I know I can support them like they should be, including medical insurance. But until then, I have to work on saving as much as possible, and re-investing into the company, and they're right, there's nothing wrong with Ramen Noodles at 10 cents a pack for a few meals here and there.

The key is to make educated decisions, and not just jump on a wagon. If you are truly wanting to make this full time, you can do it. If you just see it as a way to not have to deal with your boss, you may not be ready. I'd say work it part time as much as you can, for a year or so, and save enough to fall back on. Then when you are ready, you will have already worked on getting your name out there (I hope) and people will recognize you.

You have it a little rougher being (what sounded like) a single parent, but you can do it. What I do, and I am sure many others do, is keep a picture of your kid(s) close at hand when you are working. When you get tired, look at it, and you will get re-energized. I am currently working 3 jobs, to get a jump on life, so my kids will have everything they will need growing up. In a few years, I will just do the LCO full time, and be able to spend lots of quality time with them, which is the ultimate goal. I work when they sleep, and try to be home as much as I can when they are awake. It will probably be a little tougher for you, but where there's a will, there's a way.

You can definitely do it, just take your time to plan enough so you don't fail.

Good luck with whatever your choice is!

cutnitclose
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
bfnc2003 I feel your pain, but my situation is a little diffrent, I work Fri, Sun & Mon at my full time job... Benefits are great, I would like to jump in full force, but I have a 9 and 3 year old plus a wife, I hope that once my little girl gets in school, My better half will find a good job with good benfits then I can jump in full force.... I know a lot people will think I have no idea of what I'm talking about, but I look at it like "if one of my kids get really sick and I don't have my good insurance it isn't "ain't where I come from" going to matter how much money I have saved because it will be ate up by hospital bills, Another thing is you said you have custody, Do your or your ex carry the insurance?.. and if you spend one winter barely making it, what would the court think?.. I agree with make a game plan, and like my Granny always said, there is more tham one way to skin a cat.. No one here is looking at it through your eyes, but from one parent to another I would sit down and take a long look and do EVERYTHING possible before I jumped ship..

jajwrigh
03-24-2004, 02:07 PM
Another moving sermon brought to you in part by twin's lawn care! Well said my friend!