PDA

View Full Version : "Professional Landscapers" What a joke

BrianK10
03-23-2004, 09:54 PM
Hey All.

On the way home today, I saw these guys spreading mulch in the flower gardens of the Crown Gas Station thats on the corner of a major intersection near my home. I happen to be stopped right infront of them by a red light, and took a look at everything they were doing. Boy was I surprised. They would dump the mulch from their wheel-barrel, and kick the pile to spread it. Then, there was one guy who was walking around with a blower, blowing the excess mulch that fell on the pavement into the main road while cars were driving by. By this time, I HAD to find out who was doing the work. So I decided to turn into the station and see where their truck(s) were to hopefully see what the company name was. Come to find out, on the side of the station there was 1 Jeep Liberty, 1 beat up old Toyota pickup, and 1 Isuzu Rodeo with a 4x8 trailer hooked onto the back of it. The best thing about it was the magnets on all of the trucks, "Professional Landscaping. Quality Work Done At A Quality Price." Makes you wonder about people sometimes.

Oh well, thanks for your time. I just needed to tell someone about it. :) Cya Guys

Brian

workaholic
03-23-2004, 10:02 PM
YES YOU WILL BE SEEING ALOT OF THOSE KINDS AROUND. I CALL THEM TRAILIOR COURT LANDSCAPERS...

tedk
03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
hey, that was me...

vadeere
03-23-2004, 10:40 PM
I saw their other division yesterday, man spreading mulch the same way of a 4 x 8 trailer, however he towing with an expedition? Makes me wonder sometimes.

Doster's L & L
03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Does any REAL professional name their company "Quality This" or "Professional That"? If you're really a professional, i dont think you'll have to call yourself this to reassure everyone that you're a pro. When i hear Quality or Professional as the name of their business, i immediately check them off as being a corner cutter or an economical crew. JMO

monkey9197
03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
just wondering whats wrong with an expedition towing a trailer? or whatever cars where said.

lawnwizards
03-23-2004, 11:12 PM
brianK10,
sounds to me that youre jealous because they got work and you don't. quit driving by watching everyone else work and go out and get yourself some work. just my 2cents.

lawnwizards.

lawnshark007
03-23-2004, 11:22 PM
I think I will pull a trailor with whatever I want...If I do the job and do it right. I will make a Yugo work. Who says I have to have a certain truck to pull equipment...make me laugh, eh?;)

Rick Jones
03-23-2004, 11:27 PM
I try not to take shots at others' equipment, but shoddy workmanship is always fair game. As far as I'm concerned, there is no excuse for blowing, trimming, shoveling, sweeping any type of grass or material into a roadway. Highly unprofessional IMO.

bugspit
03-23-2004, 11:34 PM
I that Expedition had spinners on it....that was me :laugh:

just kidding, someone is always watching you, do it like you own it.

GRT
03-23-2004, 11:38 PM
There are just some people that are unprofessional. As professionals, we set the standard; obviously, they have a lot to learn. With that said, there is sadly a niche market for shoddy work, no matter how much we complain about it. Just my $.02:)

Doster's L & L
03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
"there is sadly a niche market for shoddy work"

i could not have said it any better!!!

lawnagent
03-24-2004, 12:58 AM
I have magnetic signs on my truck.:( :(

Darryl G
03-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by BrianK10
Hey All.

Come to find out, on the side of the station there was 1 Jeep Liberty, 1 beat up old Toyota pickup, and 1 Isuzu Rodeo with a 4x8 trailer hooked onto the back of it.

So what's the problem with those vehicles?

You don't need to roll a 1 ton dump out for every job. I have several vehicles and use whatever is right for the job. I've got 2 trucks but will sometimes just take the Taurus wagon for jobs that don't require much for tools and equipment (like hedge jobs, weeding and even mulch installs). It gets better mileage, is fully enclosed and more comfortable. I've even towed my equipment with a VW van...looks a little silly but does the job just fine.

Now as far as blowing stuff into the road, I agree that is unacceptable.

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2004, 06:13 AM
"Kick Spreadin" huh? That must be what some of these guys around here do. To me humpy beds look like hell. Spread it out nice a smooth or just don't do it at all...JMHO

spoolinaround
03-24-2004, 03:44 PM
hmmmm, I pull my trailer with an older model Jeep cherokee or a newer durango, dont see what the problem was

Expert Lawns
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by lawnagent
I have magnetic signs on my truck.:( :(

I did too up till this year. Putting some money into a nice letter and logo job. Signage is signage, just do a good job....like someone else said, do it like you own it.

DJL
03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
I would like to ask whether or not you stuck around to see the finished product, or in this case service? I wouldn't critique the job until it was finished. Heck, I could spread mulch with a fork. I don't think the customer cares except for two things, did it cost what it said you were gonna cost and did you complete the job to my satisfaction.

lawnman_scott
03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
did you sit at the red light for a while and watch the idiot drivers racing up to the light with no regaurd for the poor sap in the road trying to blow. And after watching this, did you see him mouth the words f--- this, and start blowing into the street?

A1 Grass
03-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Maybe the customer was a CHEAP-O and they were giving him what he paid for... it does happen.

ps - don't waste your time caring about others - just do a better job.

spoolinaround
03-24-2004, 08:14 PM
I cant letter my trucks, otherwise I would

the city revised codepassed 3 years ago stating that no vehicle used in a service trade or any vehicle with commercial plates and OR lettering is allowed at a residence, also banned is any vehicle with a GVWR over 7200# (½ ton or less for those that dont know the #'s) and any utility trailer with a gvwr over 1000 lbs

snippy
03-24-2004, 08:23 PM
LOL... lawnman scott.

I had a guy step right out in front of me on a main road so as he could whipper snipper around a pole, he saw me coming but just didn't give a s--- , I had to swerve to miss him, I wasn't angry though, I felt sorry for the poor guy, he was one of those guys that just whipper snips eight hours a day, all day every day, week after week, month after month hoping that one day the guy on the ride on mower finally drops dead and he gets a promotion.
I really believe that he couldn't have cared less if I run him over that day.

BrianK10
03-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lawnwizards
brianK10,
sounds to me that youre jealous because they got work and you don't.
Yep, thats it. I'm jealous.
Get real.
Originally posted by lawnwizards

quit driving by watching everyone else work and go out and get yourself some work.

I'm got plenty of pre-season work to keep me more then occupied. But thanks for the helpful advice. :waving: :laugh:

Brian

crawdad
03-25-2004, 09:30 PM
Hey All.

On the way home today, I saw these guys spreading mulch in the flower gardens of the Crown Gas Station thats on the corner of a major intersection near my home. I happen to be stopped right infront of them by a red light, and took a look at everything they were doing. Boy was I surprised. They would dump the mulch from their wheel-barrel, and ......1 Jeep Liberty, 1 beat up old Toyota pickup, and 1 Isuzu Rodeo with a 4x8 trailer hooked onto the back of it. The best thing about it was the magnets on all of the trucks, "Professional Landscaping. Quality Work Done At A Quality Price." Makes you wonder about people sometimes.

Oh well, thanks for your time. I just needed to tell someone about it. :) Cya Guys

Brian

A real pro would have had a Big Azz pickup tuck with dual wheels, a dump truck, an enclosed trailer, and all of the payments to go with these toys., and most of all, a rake and a "wheelbarrow," instead of a barrel.
Crawdad

bastalker
03-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Hey All.

. They would dump the mulch from their wheel-barrel, and kick the pile to spread it. Then, there was one guy who was walking around with a blower, blowing the excess mulch that fell on the pavement into the main road while cars were driving by.

Thats exactly the way we do it!!

We wait till there are no cars coming though........

monkey9197
03-25-2004, 10:14 PM
bottom line people need to mind there business.
or why dont u try to steal there customers if u are so unhappy

JimLewis
03-26-2004, 01:53 AM
LOL! I love some of the negative responses to this thread. Just goes to show there are guys like you saw right here on lawnsite! Personally, I think it's great. Just makes those who really do professional work and have professional vehicles look all that much better! Aint it great?!

monkey9197
03-26-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by JimLewis
LOL! I love some of the negative responses to this thread. Just goes to show there are guys like you saw right here on lawnsite! Personally, I think it's great. Just makes those who really do professional work and have professional vehicles look all that much better! Aint it great?!

most the negative responses where geared toward what does an expedition or whatever truck it was towing a trailer have anything to do with a landscaping being professional it shows that i have $30k( minumum for a top the line truck) cash in my pocket and you have an extra shiny new truck so enjoy it lol.

tedk
03-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by crawdad
"wheelbarrow," instead of a barrel.

ahhh, the infamous 'hey look, you spelled something wrong' post. you gotta love those.

hey Crawdad, nice job on noticing that he misused that word. did you noticed that even if he intended to use the word barrell that he spelled that wrong? you should have pointed that out.

luke1
03-26-2004, 07:57 AM
What's wrong with the Expedition, It sure looks alot better than those 1972 pick-ups you see dragging aroung their equipment.

Mdirrigation
03-26-2004, 08:11 AM
The clothes dont make the man , and the truck doesnt make the landscaper. There is professional image and professional work.
The two are not always the same.

Trevors Lawn Care
03-26-2004, 08:54 AM
I tow my trailer with a 1970 rusty P.O.S, and dont have a problem with it. Still runs.

BrianK10
03-26-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Thats exactly the way we do it!!

We wait till there are no cars coming though........

You're kidding right?! lol

JimLewis
03-26-2004, 07:13 PM
The clothes dont make the man , and the truck doesnt make the landscaper. There is professional image and professional work.

You're right. Unfortunately, though, not everyone thinks this way. To a lot of people, a professional image matters. To ignore this is to ignore a huge potential customer base. There are thousands of people in my area (and probably yours) who will not use a LCO if they don't look like they run a professional outfit. Call them superficial, shallow, whatever you want. But the fact is they have the money. And if you want their business, you gotta play the game. Personally, I want their business.

There are 4 different kinds of LCOs;

1) Image good - Quality poor.
2) Quality good - Image poor.
3) Quality and Image poor.
4) Quality and Image Good.

As an LCO you can chose which one you want to be. But I am here to tell you that a lot of people want to hire a company who is in the 4th category. If you want to ignore that, fine. Just realize you're tuning out a large potential client base.

What's wrong with the Expedition, It sure looks alot better than those 1972 pick-ups you see dragging aroung their equipment.

Nice cheapshot. Those 1972 pickups brought us in over $500,000 in work last year.

First of all, nobody said anything about an Expedition. The original post mentioned an old beat up Toyota truck, a jeep liberty and a isuzu rodeo.

Second, I guarantee our 1972 Trucks (http://www.cybcon.com/%7Ejimlewis/Truck%203a.jpg) look nicer than some junky old toyota. I get compliments on our trucks and setup everywhere I go. I doubt the guys mentioned in the original post can say the same thing.

Third, it doesn't matter what the year or model. What matters is whether the setup looks professional or not, whether it's clean or not, whether it's junky or not. Sorry, but a generic beat up SUV or old truck with a POS trailer attached to it isn't something most people would consider professional, whether you all like it or not.

Mdirrigation
03-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Nice truck , easy to work on , I miss my 1969 3/4 ton 4x4 . 15 years of snow and salt did it in.

Randy Scott
03-26-2004, 09:36 PM
I get a kick out of the guys knocking people, like me for instance, that have all new trucks, well, pretty new (2000, 2002, 2004). Talking about money in their pocket versus payments. I CHOOSE to have those payments. I want a nice truck. I want it for myself AND for my business appearance. I want my operation to look first class, coincidentally, it matches our service level as well.

There's no doubt that there are great landscapers with less than great appearances. Obviously, word of mouth is their main line of work. Which is the best, we have that as well. We are ALSO looking to get those people driving down the road, or at the stoplight, or when we pass their home, or anywhere they may possibly see us. It's just a matter of how quickly and how large you would like to build your client list. As stated before, it doesn't have to be the year of the equipment, but the appearance. Neat and clean is neat and clean. There isn't a week that goes by, almost daily, that people comment on our appearance, trucks and employees. It's a complete package. Does it sell more work? I hope so, that's part of the intention. Even if it didn't, we would still look that good. I'm anal about everything, plain and simple.

Doster's L & L
03-26-2004, 09:41 PM
JIM, didnt you post a thread that had pics of your remodeled, old pickup back in early fall last year? Those were some TIGHT pics!! If that was yours, please post them pics again for the new guys to see. Heck, i wanna see it too! :D

Doster's L & L
03-26-2004, 09:49 PM
I hear you lawnmanscott!! I'm building up my business from scratch, pretty much. The mowing outfit has been going for a while, but growing the lawn care and landscaping from nothing is pretty difficult. I believe that by being nearly broke all through the winter is worth it to drive nearly new trucks in the summer pulling a trailer full of plants or lawnmowers. I think that if i were pulling my trailers with POS's, it would be MUCH MUCH more difficult to expand my business than with me driving new ones. Man, i dont mind making the payments. It's a part of business, therefore, it's a tax write off.

bobbygedd
03-26-2004, 10:18 PM
randy, you said it, and it's true "YOU ARE ANAL ABOUT EVERYTHING."

bastalker
03-26-2004, 10:30 PM
You're kidding right?! lol

A size 12 works awsome !!!;)

bastalker
03-26-2004, 10:32 PM
My employee wears a size 10, so he is not as efficiant..

bastalker
03-26-2004, 10:33 PM
but if we both start kickin together, we can get alot done...Thats 22".......:D

bastalker
03-26-2004, 10:36 PM
We were lucky with this job, it was off the road an not very many cars saw us...

Doster's L & L
03-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Do you guys have broom bristles on the bottoms of your boots? :D Those are some clean kicking jobs there. You may suggest to your compadre to get a boot extention so he'll be more efficient in his kick sweeping. :laugh: :laugh:

JimLewis
03-27-2004, 03:07 AM
JIM, didnt you post a thread that had pics of your remodeled, old pickup back in early fall last year? Those were some TIGHT pics!! If that was yours, please post them pics again for the new guys to see. Heck, i wanna see it too!

Yah, there was a thread about it last year. Here is the link to the pictures I referred to in that thread;

CLICK HERE (http://www.cybcon.com/~jimlewis/ChevyTruck.html)

GarPA
03-27-2004, 04:20 AM
well its a sad fact that its not just the yahoos who do a shoddy job on mulch installs. I see "legit" companies in my area whose mulch installs look like mashed potatoes, edges not cut in properly etc. And these companies have been around for many years and have multiple crews.

and then there are the "legit" companies who glop mulch on top of 6 inches of mulch already there...this is the one thing that makes me more nuts than anything I see out there.

Totally unprofessional and done only to increase their revenue

As Jim said, some people do look at your rig and make a judgement on whether you appear to be a for-real company.

I'll never forget the time we had multiple companies give us a bid on painting our house. One guy showed up in a 20 year old station wagon, loaded to the gills and the back end almost dragging on the ground. Like it or not, his "business vehicle" gave me a not so good first impression. And then when he gave us his bid at about half of what the other bids were, we told him no thanks.

While a shiny rig does not imply someone does good work, it does create a perception of your biz , by the customer.
And as the saying goes, "perception is reality"

Doster's L & L
03-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the pics, Jim. TO ALL THE NEWBIES......... If you want a nice looking truck and not spend $20-40 large, take notes from jim and his truck....SEE ABOVE.

proenterprises
03-27-2004, 11:37 AM
wow jim...thats a nice rig. congrats on your bargain.

BrianK10
03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by GarPA
While a shiny rig does not imply someone does good work, it does create a perception of your biz , by the customer.
And as the saying goes, "perception is reality"

Agreed.