PDA

View Full Version : liquid fert

tryz
03-23-2004, 11:54 PM
hi everyone,
i have been in the business for over 5 years now,I was using ganular fert. and liquid weed control. I now am getting into using a water soluble. the product i'm thinking of using is made by Grow More and it is 27-9-18, i'm going to add a soil penetrant, and also a weed killer Par 4. The Grow More 27-9-18 says to apply 1-2 pounds of Grow More per 1000sq.ft dissolved in 10-20 gallons of water. i have a 400 gal tank, so i need 80 pounds of Grow More, and one tank will spray 40,000 sq,ft. Our average size of lawns are 3000-4000 sq.ft., so i can only do 10 yards on one tank to me that sounds crazy. We do an average of 30-40 yards a day, and to have to go and refill 3-4 times a day is to time consuming.

So just a few questions to those who use water solubles or liquid fert.
What size of tank do you use?
How many sq.ft. does a full tank of your mix get you?
Can you apply it at a higher rate of fert to less water?
At what rate do you mix, and at what rate do you apply?

What i want to acheave is to be able to run all day with out refilling, and the big companys here have the same size tanks and are doing about 30-40 yards from one tank. But they won't help me because of compition.

please help!

thank you

troy

James Cormier
03-24-2004, 10:15 AM
back in 86 when I started spraying everyone sprayed at 3g per K, then in the early 90's it seemed most guys went to low volume (1.5g per K) so your 400 gallon tank would get your 260k.

My guess is you should be able to find many choices for fert to apply at this rate. You may not be able to use the one your looking at. I not sure why that product needs such a heavy amount of water for a carrier, my guess is the numbers are wrong. I would tell them your spraying at 1.5 per K and have them give you rates from there.

Do you have a tank and fill system back at your shop? IF so you can go with a straight liquid fert. you just need some where to store it and pump it into your trucks.

TSM
03-24-2004, 10:39 AM
we used to use a 35-0-15 (for our P we used a 0-52-0 i think, cant remember) sprayable product. used 300gal tanks. sprayed 1.5gal/1000sf. so we got 200k sf out of a tank.

I agree with Cormier, something sounds off.

tryz
03-24-2004, 11:59 AM
hi,
thanks for the input, but i don't understand what you mean by 1.5g/per k, can you explain,may-be i'ts because i'm a canaidian and that's imperial measures.

please explain

thanks

troy

TSM
03-24-2004, 01:04 PM
1.5g/per k

pump set to diliver 1.5 gals per minute (this is the amount of spray coming out the gun) and 1.5 gals treats 1000sf.

Assuming you are using the standard chemlawn spray gun you will need to be sure you have the 1.5gal nozzle (thats the blue one) Then regulate your pump to diliver 1.5 gals per minute (easy to do just time to see how long it takes to spray into a bucket 1.5gals. and keep adjusting regulator till you reach that amount)

At that rate, your 400gal tank will treat 266,000sf

vegomatic40
03-26-2004, 07:37 AM
Reduce your total volume/1000 sq ft. In simple terms, this will increase the concentration of all products ie. fert. weed control etc. The rate/acre stays the same no matter what the volume of water. I believe the best compromise is a 2gal/1000 sq ft rate. Easy to calibrate, easy to calculate. 400 gal tank=200,000 sq ft. With those tiny lawns you should be able to easily do that number of stops with that size tank.
The yellow nozzle for the Chemlawn/Lesco gun is calibrated for 2-2.5 gal/1000. The blue nozzle (1-1.5 gal) will work as well but, has a higher potential for burn or over-application and can be tricky in windy conditions due to the smaller droplet size.