PDA

View Full Version : First day out with my PG

DiscoveryLawn
03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
I bought a used Perma Green Ultra and used it for the first time today on 5 of my lawns. I love the increase in my productivity but I think this machine could have been designed better. I know I will have to get used to it but this thing does not stop very well!! The first lawn I did was my own and at the end of my first pass I am coming to the back of my lawn that has a slight downward slope and BANG!! Ran right into a raised retaining wall. I let off the throtle at least 10 ft before I hit this thing and was standing on the brake. The problem was the wheel just locked up and skidded right down the slope. Now this is a very slight slope. It only drops about 1 foot over 10 ft span.

Any PG owners have any insight on improving the stopping ability on hills?

meets1
03-23-2004, 11:52 PM
I wish I could help. I am ready to order mine tomorrow. Anything you want to share whether that is awise thing to do or not? Where are you getting your product from?

KenH
03-24-2004, 07:10 AM
You will get used to using it. In actuality, you needed to turn before you got to the wall.

James Cormier
03-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Brakes.....they got brakes......:)

Dont relay on the brakes at all, its like riding a motorcycle you gotta look far ahead and plan your next move.

It will take a little time to get use to, use it on every lawn you can

DiscoveryLawn
03-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Meets1, the improved productivity is worth the braking problem. However, my next purchase will be the z-spray from Rich.

KenH, Thanks, I'll try turning next time. :) Actually, I was trying to just stop. It skidded for about 10 ft. The turn was way too sharp to make without stopping first. Its a 5ft wide area that goes behind my garage with a drop off on the otherside.

TSM
03-24-2004, 09:06 AM
you'll find that you rarely use the brakes once you're used to it, but i hear what your saying, it skids nicely, huh? :)

anthony
03-26-2004, 08:02 PM
DiscoveryLawn
i am sorry but when i read your post i started to laugh...i can picture it in my head....lol. with that said i am sure we as pg owners have the same type of storys..
enjoy that mechine take care of that mechine and it will take care of you...

i have pg 2 units and had them since 1995. replaced lot of parts but those mechines made me a lot of money. i work alone and do it part time and do over 2 million sf. per application..
you will get used to that mechine...
your crash i can still picture it in my head..lol
ant

DiscoveryLawn
03-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Anthony, Yes it has made a good story. I couldn't wait to tell someone about, it was pretty funny.

meets1
03-26-2004, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! I have mine ordered. Should be here Monday! Can't wait to go riden!

anthony
03-26-2004, 10:42 PM
meets
you will enjoy it. like anything else there good things and bad things..but went something went wrong with my mechines perm-a-green was there to bail me out.
ant

DUSTYCEDAR
03-26-2004, 11:11 PM
my brakes dont work and i really dont need them but u do have to plan out the attack of hills
also if u run it in the lower gear the machine will slow it self down on hills
in the high gear it will run away if u let it

Field General
03-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Dusty, you mentioned using the PG on hills.I live in Northeast Ohio where there are lots of hills ,slopes,inclines and general imperfections in almost all of my customers lawns. How would PG owners grade the unit on use in situations like this? Also, is traction a problem on wet or damp lawns?

DUSTYCEDAR
03-27-2004, 08:52 AM
i was out the other day in a light rain on some step slopes
u can step of the back and walk it up step hills
it will go anywhere a walk behind mower will go and then some
u have to get used to the power and u can run it with out messin up the lawn
if u just turn and hit the gas u will rip up the lawn and make a mess with a little practice u will love it

scweedman
03-29-2004, 07:31 AM
DiscoveryLawn,
How are you holding up on your PG?
Just checking making sure it has'nt killed you.

ChicagoLawn
03-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Hello Guys.............

Just picked up a PG with the hitch mounted carrier....very nice!

I called Perma Green today and talked to John, very nice/very helpful but I forgot to ask him about the exact way to calibrate the 3 spreader outlet holes.

I discovered that unlike a regular Lesco spreader where all 3 holes are calibrated to the same opening size, it seems that with the PG the center hole is what you use the "gauge" per fertilizer instruction, then the left and right holes are set at a smaller opening to compensate for the overlap needed to cover the spray pattern(7' turnarounds).

How do you calibrate the PG when you apply various fertilizers?

Is there a standard way to calibrate off of center hole?

ChicagoLawn

DUSTYCEDAR
03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
if a bag covers 10k i just do a 10 k lawn and see what is left in the hopper and add of subtract from the oppening

ChicagoLawn
03-30-2004, 08:02 PM
I would hate to be that first lawn............

Just kidding Dustycedar!

The PG instructions actually specify different number setting/hole openings for each hole in the spreader.

What have you done to deal with this?

ChicagoLawn

DUSTYCEDAR
03-30-2004, 08:11 PM
i have the centri it is the older model it has a spyker spreader 1 big hole
the best thing i can tell u is start light and move up
u can always add more but is a real pain picking up all them little pellets