PDA

View Full Version : Which sulky?

Pecker
03-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Although this subject has been beaten to death, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

In the market for a sulky. It is for a Toro Proline 32" WB.

Here is the criteria:
- needs to have 2 wheels
- needs to be able to fold up under the handlebars (preferably out of the way enough to actually be able to use the mower without the sulky without having to take it off)
- needs to be able to detach with the pull of a pin
- needs to be sturdy (I don't know if any are flimsy, but it has to be tough)
- would be nice if it could pivot so that I don't have to pick it up to go in reverse

Is it out there or am I hoping for too much? Thanks in advance.

primecutmo
03-23-2004, 11:04 PM
go with the jungle jims jungle wheels. i love mine and it fits all of your criteria.

Pecker
03-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks prime, I was looking at that one earlier because I came across it during my search. Really didn't expect anything to fit ALL my criteria, but hey, I can't complain! Also, that post I read earlier lead me to power41.com where it is $199. That sounds like a good deal considering list is $295. Thanks again.

Rick Jones
03-23-2004, 11:32 PM
Ever try a Bull-Rider? They meet all of your needs except for 1. If you want to pull it up under the handles, you do have to pull the pin and detach the main platform. Other than that they suit your criteria quite well.

strayer1
03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
take your idea's to a wleding &fabricating shop and get a estimate....you might be able to save some $.......

Pecker
03-23-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks Rick, but I would really like to be able to leave it on.

Strayer, good idea. Although during this time of year, $199 sounds reasonable as my time is spread pretty thin.

Thanks for the info and ideas guys.

Pecker
03-24-2004, 05:42 PM
Also, I saw on J-Thomas that for the velke they have a no air tire. Anybody use it? Seems like it would be a little hard on the knees.

Wright Mfg
03-25-2004, 11:36 AM
The Two wheel Velke x2 meets all that criteria. No other two wheel sulky folds compactly under the handlebars. The x2 even folds two ways, one way more compactly and prevents it from swinging. Also it pivots 180 degrees out of your way when you back up so you don't have to pick it up.
2 wheels
Sturdy
Pull pin

Pecker
03-25-2004, 11:47 AM
Wright, who makes the Velke x2? Or is Velke a brand name? Or is velke another word for sulky? Thanks, sorry for all the questions.

ElephantNest
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
Jungle Wheels two wheeled. Awesome.

Wright Mfg
03-25-2004, 12:51 PM
We make both the one and two wheel velkes. We were the first to have a stand on sulky of any kind.
Yes it's our brand name(and my name)
Velke has largely become the mowing industries word for any stand up sulky.
(just like "Jet Ski" which is a brand name with Kawasaki)

Jim Velke

lawnkid
03-25-2004, 01:56 PM
Try a Pro-One sulky by Pace. They are much like the Velke's but don't leave ruts like Velke's do. Much like the Velke's, they fold up under the handle bars to provide more trailer space. They also offer a swivel wheel sulky like the Bull Rider. I also tried the Bull-Rider and they are a stout sulky as well. Wither one would work well. If you have a belt drive, then go with the Pro-One.

tiedeman
03-25-2004, 03:32 PM
I use the two wheel velke, we have 3 of them, and absolutely love them. Be prepare though to change the bushings on them every year to 1 1/2 years.

Pecker
03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for your input. It's always best to make a decision based on the best information. Also, Jim, thanks for your input and it is cool to be able to speak to someone whose name is a standard in the industry.

Joel B.
03-25-2004, 04:20 PM
This is what I use:

Protero PS-200. It might be a little big to fold up under the handlebars totally, but it works great.

CaptainslawnCare
03-25-2004, 04:32 PM
If you want to save money jungle wheels makes a model called "training wheels." It's half the price but lacks ball bearings in the wheels. Other than that pretty much the same thing.(except you might feel like an idiot calling it Training wheels):o

bastalker
03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Try this...There are hundreds on there.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2388847342&category=50377

Itsgottobegreen
03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
A 32" with narrow tires will have a hard time pulling you around. You might also want to add some weight to the front. Get the Velky. I know Jim, he designed the 1st one ever. I live 15 mile from the factory. I got to see the 1st velky ever built and the then each of the different verison. Wright is a great company. Will do anything for a customer.

dart2cut
03-30-2004, 04:20 PM
Why must you have a wheeled sulky. Have you looked into a Pro Slide? You say you need it to fold up, come off with a pull of a pin and to use the mower with it on if needed. The Pro Slide does all you listed above. Only draw back is that you can't slide across pavement, or you will replace the pad in a season. Small driveways are fine but a trip around the block is out.

Step on it and go, step off and it retracks it self. Have demoed all the others and can say after riding the slide for 6 hrs. non stop i felt great. All i did was bolt it on, it comes as one unit.:drinkup: :drinkup:

charlies
03-30-2004, 04:49 PM
where can i find information and pictures of the Pro Slide?

Cut 2 Please
03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
www.novaecorp.com
This is the Pro-Slide web site.

charlies
03-30-2004, 05:07 PM
thank you, they look very nice.

locutus
03-30-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Wright Mfg
The Two wheel Velke x2 meets all that criteria. No other two wheel sulky folds compactly under the handlebars. The x2 even folds two ways, one way more compactly and prevents it from swinging. Also it pivots 180 degrees out of your way when you back up so you don't have to pick it up.
2 wheels
Sturdy
Pull pin Ditto. I have the Velke x2 and it comes as close to addressing your needs as you are likely to find.

Pecker
04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Wright Mfg,

First of all, thanks to everyone for their input. I believe the Velke x2 will best suit my particluar application. Finally, I am ready to do it! But I wanted to be sure it will fit and operate properly on my paticular unit. It will be used on a 1995 Toro Proline 32" (single blade mower), with the T-bar. My understanding is that the VKX2-3-1-15B would be the correct model. Is this correct?

My concern is that I would be standing too close or too far away while operating the mower, making it uncomfortable for my back. Is it adjustable?

Thanks.

Wright Mfg
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
******- You need model VKX2-3R-15 (R for Red but you could get B for Black)

All T-bar Toros take the 15" arm

We tend to not want to add cost for an adjustable arm. Once you get the right arm, there is little need to adjust it. Same reason we don't buy adjustable shoes.

Thanks,
Jim Velke

Pecker
04-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Okay, thank you.

kemmer
04-12-2004, 06:34 PM
I just got the proslide for my scag 36" and i love it. You just need to adjust the belts alittle bit but then its great. you are at ground level and the ride is much smoother then the other sulkies ive tryed. You should really look into it. I got mine on ebay for 140. Brand new in box. It also lays down a nice stripe!

dwost
04-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Snowlyleaflandscapin, I just got mine from the same guy. Awesome price and it works beautifully. I just posted a couple hours ago about switching out my Jungle Wheels for the slide. I've gotta say, this thing is simply awesome. Can't beat the ride or the striping. Here's a pic of my first stripes of the season.....sorry the camera was on the wrong setting so you don't get the correct color of the grass, but you'll get a good idea of the definition.....:)

Pecker
04-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Nice stripes! But what do you do when you have to go over concrete? Does the Proslide actually slide on the ground?

dwost
04-12-2004, 10:02 PM
******, there is a teflon plate on the bottom that slides over everything. Granted, if you are riding on a lot of concrete, this plate will wear out quicker. I'm not sure what the lifespan of these are, as I'm sure others that have used theirs more can tell you. I will say that they advertise 500-1000 hours before needing a replacement. I personally find that hard to believe but would think you can get 300 hours or so of standard use out of it. I do believe the plates only run about 25 bucks for replacement. Anyone else care to chime in on this??

charlies
04-12-2004, 10:17 PM
300 hours? i'm just guestimating here...using a w/b about 25 hours a week, that comes out to 12 weeks...so you're saying you would have to replace the plate every 3 months? it's got to last longer than that.

dwost
04-12-2004, 10:24 PM
charlies.......good point......:) I'm probably way off here as I read another post a few minutes ago where someone is going on their third season on a single plate. Their claim of 500+ may be correct.

ACA Lawn Care
04-12-2004, 11:02 PM
jungle wheels here

Pecker
04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Wright Mfg
******- You need model VKX2-3R-15 (R for Red but you could get B for Black)

I am about to make the purchase but I have a question about the model #. The one I am looking at says VKX2-3-15B. There is not "R" after the 3. Is this the same one as you are referring to?

Thanks. Can't wait to hear from you.

youngdude
04-15-2004, 09:56 PM
Have a velkey that i baught with my bobcat and want to sell it. PM me for more info

dwost
04-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ******
I am about to make the purchase but I have a question about the model #. The one I am looking at says VKX2-3-15B. There is not "R" after the 3. Is this the same one as you are referring to?

Thanks. Can't wait to hear from you.

I believe the "B" behind the 15 means black. They may have moved the color code behind the last number. The "R" is red........

Wright Mfg
04-16-2004, 09:05 AM
******- Sometimes Dealers will enter the part numbers a different way and put the B at the end but if you look at our Web-site you'll see that the VKX2-3B-15 is how we list a Black two wheel Velke with 15" arm. My guess is....that one you saw listed is still Black.

Thanks,
Jim V

naturescape
04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Go with the Proslide, you will have to replace the wear plate often if you ride on concrete much. I replace mine once a month.

However, after hearing some tips here, I have my own wear plates made. They cost me $10 each plus a little work to bend them. Send me a message and I'll be glad to help you with the info to make your own wear plates.

MTR
04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Jungle Jim's Junglewheels, performing the best on hill, the thing sticks like glue, using 5-6 days a week for 2 seasons now have not changed a thing, except a flat from a thorn which cost $6 bucks to fix!
bring on blocks and blocks of concrete, I 'll ride all day....

Pecker
04-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Wright, thanks. Should be here next week. Can't wait!

And thank you everyone else for your input too. I like the idea of the Proslide (those stripes look nice too) but I do go over lots on concrete and can't justify the expense of wear plates, so I opted for wheels.

Thanks again.

Pecker
04-26-2004, 02:37 PM
To Wright Mfg, I ordered a Velke x2 about 10 days ago and word is it is still on back-order because of availiblity issues. Anyhow it is due in toward the latter part of the week so I expect it for sometime next week. They've backed up the date 2 times and I was just wondering if I can expect more delays. Must be the time of year (I knew I shoulda done it sooner . . .). Anyhow, I'm really looking forward playing (I mean working. .) with my new toy.

Wright Mfg
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM

Yes, time of the year + high demand for ours = harder to get.

I know we're cranking them out as fast as we can.

See your PM

Wright Mfg
04-26-2004, 03:53 PM
oh.....and thanks for waiting for it rather than settling for another brand.

JV

Pecker
04-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the insight. It is really cool to have a direct line with you like this. Also, I read your PM. Thanks again.

Pecker
05-10-2004, 03:26 PM
To Wright Mfg,

Just wondering if you guys are getting caught up yet. I still haven't recieved my order for a Velke x2 and its been about a month since the order. I'm trying to be patient but I'm loosin' bucks from my lack of productivity, not to mention just tired of walkin'. Thanks.

Wright Mfg
05-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ******
To Wright Mfg,

Just wondering if you guys are getting caught up yet. I still haven't recieved my order for a Velke x2 and its been about a month since the order. I'm trying to be patient but I'm loosin' bucks from my lack of productivity, not to mention just tired of walkin'. Thanks.

I just checked with our sales dept. Neither of the two Distributors for Louisiana have Velke X2s on order with us. I suggest you check with your dealer again and see which Distributor they say they ordered it from. Get names too so we can get to the bottom of this.

Further inquiry's of this nature can be sent to sales@Wrightmfg.com

Thanks,
Jim V

Pecker
05-10-2004, 07:47 PM
I ordered through www.power41.com. I just sent an e-mail to the address you listed. Also, will I communicating with you through the e-mail address or will it be someone else? Thanks again and I appreciate your concern.

Wright Mfg
05-11-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm not familiar with that company and so I'm not even sure they are in our normal Dealer pool and order from our distributor. They may be finding them from somewhere cheap anywhere in the country and then marking them up to you.

Our sales Dept. can help you out better at that sales e-mail address. I tend to pass deeper sales issues on to them since I'm much more on the technical side of things.

JV

Pecker
05-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Ok. Thanks for your help once again.