PDA

View Full Version : Service & Repair Shop Nightmare

shorty7616
03-24-2004, 12:50 AM
I am posting this to vent some steam. I had to piuck up a carb. for one of my blowers on Monday. I had to go downtown to a shop that I have dealt with before, but not on any type of real basis. Anyway my story:

I bought the carb
Went home, unscrewed the engine housing, etc.
Realized that the blower didn't need a carb, and was basically trash
I then return the carb to to shop, where they refuse to buy it back because it smelled like gas.
After about 10 mins of complaining and BS they decide to refund my part less 20% for restocking an item taht hadn't been used or open!

Unbelievable. Landscapers drive their industry, and they are willing to throw away money and customers like that?

On to my final point----What do most of ya'll do for repairs, tackle them yourselves, take it to one shop, take it to several shops....
Basically give me some stories.

GRT
03-24-2004, 12:56 AM
I think it depends on how mechnically inclined you are. I know a lot of guys on here prefer to do it themselves, and I think it's the best way. By taking the time to learn the ins and outs of your equipment, you'll save money on repairs, minimize downtime, and have the ability to fix equipment quickly on site if need be. But if you're not mechnically inclined, you need to develop a strong relationship with a dealer, and try to use him exclusively. When you use a dealer that way, you'll be a priority, and he'll usually cut you deals on services and equipment. My $.02...

spoolinaround
03-24-2004, 04:49 PM
if you payed with a credit card (I always do) just file a chargeback tell them they refused to give you a full refund on a brand new unopened part that you bought and decided was unneeded within an hour

lawnkid
03-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I do most of my repairs, (belts, blades, oil, filters, switches, electrical, welding) myself but if I need like a hydro pump replaced or my clutch, I'll take it to a guy that is a mechanic for LESCO during the day and fixes mowers on the side in his garage. He is cheaper than most dealers and always does a good job. And the best part is, he lives like a street away so... He's nice to have around when you don;t have time for something or you don;t wanna chance something.

shorty7616
03-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the tip about the credit card.....think I'll try that

DJL
03-24-2004, 08:35 PM
before you go doing that, does the shop have a sign about any restocking fees on returns? Some places I ventured into have that, I ventured out...

specialtylc
03-24-2004, 09:05 PM
Our 2 stroke stuff I take to a shop . Their repair charges are very reasonable. Example : carb rebuild is about $40 and most times I get it back in 1 or 2 days. I have taken some stuff in that was shot and they dont charge for checking , or estimates.

shorty7616
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
No signs about restocking fees, but on their receipt it said No retuns on electrical items...Nothing about Carbs, and last time I checked a carb had nothing to do with the electrical system....

Man they hacked me off.

Dave
03-24-2004, 09:33 PM
was this carb special ordered for your blower

shorty7616
03-24-2004, 10:58 PM
No special order....just walked in and they had it in stock. Wasn't even gonna buy it, but since they had it I thought I would buy it and take it back just in case I thought it could use it.

cantoo
03-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Around here the restocking charge is normal. I don't usually bother fixing small stuff. I have enough back up equipment that I can set it aside use another and when I have time I take a quick look at it or give it to my kids to play with. My 16 year old son is getting pretty good repairing stuff. I let him fix it and sell it he keeps the money. Anything he can't fix goes to an auction sale to be sold as non running. Get a few bucks and be ridl of a headache.

proenterprises
03-24-2004, 11:31 PM
If it is not mentioned anywhere that they charge a re stock fee, than i would not pay it.

as for the Credit Card issue, my dad has always told me to pay credit cards when your dealing with potentially "risky or uncertain situation" for the simple reason that if somthing goes sour, than its much easier to turn to the credit card company and file for foul play than it is to wrestle your cash out of their pockets.

DJL
03-24-2004, 11:42 PM
that's a bummer. I would really try and fit that. Call the CC company and put a stop on the charges.