PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ suspension seating options

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2004, 02:47 AM
OK, I suffered a non-lawn care related back injury last fall. So I am looking to add suspension seats to my mowers for this season. I have the following options....

#1 - Exmark Custom Ride, will bolt up under my stock seat.
#2 - Full suspension seat, the style Hustler uses and was stock on Lazer EPS
#3 - Full suspension seat, the new style Exmark uses on the new Lazer XP
#4 - Full suspension seat, brand new style low profile style that still has 4" of travel.

....What do you all think I should go for?

#1 I'm not sure of the price, but I bet it's the cheaper option. It would leave me with the thick standard seat, which is the same style as found on most Z's. But I have to admit at times I can feel the safety mechanism riding against my tailbone on those seats. Plus the suspension will jack up my seat height higher than the other options while providing less suspension travel.

#2 Is a nice seat but the actual seat pad itself is hard. It seems like it would give you numb butt syndrome after a while.

#3 Looks cushier than #2 in the parts book and the cushion contour looks like it would be better as well. But I don't know because I've never sat on one. Also I don't remember if it has adjustable lumbar support like #2 has.

#4 Looks good too and they make it sound like the lowest profile option. But I can't explain the seat and I doubt anyone has this one yet because it's new.

To me, this is a rather large investment just for a freakin' seat! So any opinions would be appreciated!

Runner
03-24-2004, 11:17 PM
A friend of mine was looking to re-do the seats on his lazers. The cushions themselves were just completely wore out and flattened. He didn't want to invest 2 hundred and some dollars in a new seat for each one, and the suspension kit looked ok, but he still had the issue of the worn out seat cushions. He ended up getting 6 brand new Scag seats for his machines, for just over $100. apiece. Some of them, arent the whole seat - it is just the seat cushion, but it is the newer style that has the real thick seat cushion on it. If you were able to get this nice thick cushion, and put a suspension kit under it, you'd really have something.
I have the suspension seat (on the EPS), and I agree, that though it is a nice seat, the seat part itself is a bit flat. If I could put a cushion under it like these new Scag seats, I would do it in a New York minute.

Runner
03-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Also, there is this....
http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200268374/

Lawn-Scapes
03-25-2004, 12:30 AM
I am having a new seat put on my Lazer tomorrow. I'm not sure which version it is though.. either 3 or 4 on your list. I'll give you my opinion when it's done.

Lawn-Scapes
03-25-2004, 08:35 PM
I picked up the Lazer today and.. I should have had one of these a long, long time ago. It is the new style and it's great. It seems to have more cushion than number 2 or 3 on your list.. which is a plus. My neck is thanking me already!