PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bed Edging Price

Westbrooklawn
03-24-2004, 07:41 AM
Does anyone have a good generic price per foot for bed edging using a power edger (Brown, etc.)? I realize soil conditions play a big factor. I am looking at heavy clay soil with moderate rocks. I am thinking in the $.15/ft. range.......is this in line with what others are charging?

If anyone can provide a typical feet/minute production with a brown bed edger then I can also calculate what my pricing should be. Thanks in advance for any input.

muxx
03-24-2004, 07:51 AM
I have been charging, with no troubles, $1.00 per foot if I mulch and $2.00 per foot if I don't.

gr84
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
.15 cents per foot i think is way to cheap in ohio we charge any where from .50 cents to a $1.00 per foot. as far as feet per minute if you are experienced running that edger at the most it would only take you a 1/2 hour to go around an average (middle class) house. also you say that there is clay and rocks. the bed edger will cut through it but there might be a lot of clean up because it doesn't pullverize it as well as soil and becare full of those rocks they will fly right out of the rubber sheild

Westbrooklawn
03-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. GR48 I would estimate an average (middle class) house at around 150 feet around the foundation beds. At $1 per foot that equates to about $300 per hour!! Sounds great, but it seems a little high for the time involved.

MudslinginFX4
03-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Westbrooklawn, I am near you (only about 5 miles from Durham) and I to charge $1.00/foot edged. This is the going rate in our area. You can't only charge for your time but you have to factor in the price of the machine, the gas it takes, and many other things. I have never had a customer complain about my price on edging, especially when they see the great job it does.

homerescue
03-24-2004, 06:17 PM
edge by hand perfectly like the brown does and see how long it takes you .For the cost of the machine and rotors 1.00 per foot is a real good price in my book. Why shouldn' you make 200.00-300.00 per hour when you pay on the average 2400.00 for a machine, taxes and insurance. break a mismarked line and see what it might cost you.

GarPA
03-24-2004, 06:36 PM
.15 is waaayyyy too low....in our area, the rates noted above are more in the range of what you should charge. And if you rent one, and break some teeth off the auger, you'll be charged about $90 to repair the machine.

any homeowner who has ever tackled this job knows he will spend the better part of 2 days on the avg property including what to do with the clods of soil after he cuts them out.

Don't give away this service. I also have never had a customer whine about the cost of edging or re-edging. The machines do an awesome job and you only have to brush the soil back into the beds and you're done. Touch up the mulch of course will be necessary to cover the pulverized edges

Westbrooklawn
03-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Great replies from all........Thank You! I have only rented a bed edger in the past, and include the edging in the cost of the mulch job.

Homerescue - I have edged by hand before (in my younger days!), and I know how laborious it is.

GarPA - I have never been known to "give away" (lowball) services.......on the contrary I price on the high end for maintenance services, and I have been in the business for 14 years. Getting the "market" price is exactly why I asked the question, and everyone's answer has enlightened me.

Knowing I can get around $1/foot makes it a sound decision to go ahead and purchase a machine. Again.....thanks to all for your replies.

GarPA
03-24-2004, 07:46 PM
good for you...I too keep kicking around buying one as it pays for itself very quickly. But its one more machine to care for, store, etc. But it would be so convenient to own one. I put a bid in on two rental machines but they want too much money for the used machines .

ps..I was not implying you were lowballing ...sorry if it sounded that way

NCSULandscaper
03-24-2004, 08:06 PM
I charge between $.70 and $1.00 per foot also and havent had a problem getting the price. New machine is just about paid for already.

homerescue
03-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Have you guys tried the stump grinding rotor or do you know that they do have one. Takes out small stumps almost has quickly as you can unload and load it. I've done a couple 30' plus stumps also, longer to do just price accordingly.

homerescue
03-24-2004, 08:46 PM
Before I get beat up let me correct that and say 30" inch plus stumps.. sorry for the error.

Sam-Ohio
03-24-2004, 11:07 PM
The Brown is a real good machine. Be sure to get the model with steerable wheels. It's much easier to use around curving beds.

There is another brand called E-Z trench that is in some ways even better than the Brown.

The EZ Trench is made a lot more finished. Doesn't look quit so crude as the Brown. Their wheels and tires are all steerable and the wheels are bigger diameter, so they roll easier and handle a bit better.

The carbide blade teeth are stepped and this makes it mill the ground smoother and keeps down the vibration and hopping.

When you use it to re-define an old bed, it only cuts about an inch of turf edge away and leaves nice straight new edges. The Brown will cut 4 to 7 inches of turf away when redefining. This makes the mulch beds increase in size by as much as a foot in diameter. This can get to be a BIG problem in a few years. As they call it "bed creep" - makes you put in lots more mulch in these beds as they get bigger each year.

The EZ Trench does not have as many varieties of blades as the Brown has. It does not have a stump blade.

The EZ Trench has the 6" V blade for bed edging. It has a square trencher to cut a 2" deep by 4 or 6 in wide trench to lay in paver brick edging. There is an add on kit that will cut a slot and bury a wire. The wire is on a mounted spool and it lays it in this trench for you. Makes super quick work of putting in electronic dog fencing. [very - very profitable]

Either Brown or EZ -Trench are real good , and they can make a very good buck for you.

NCSULandscaper
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Sam-Ohio
When you use it to re-define an old bed, it only cuts about an inch of turf edge away and leaves nice straight new edges. The Brown will cut 4 to 7 inches of turf away when redefining. This makes the mulch beds increase in size by as much as a foot in diameter. This can get to be a BIG problem in a few years. As they call it "bed creep" - makes you put in lots more mulch in these beds as they get bigger each year.

I disagree with that. Just put the tires in the mulch bed and follow the old line. If its hard for you to do then paint in a line to follow. You should not ever have to make the beds larger than what they are. I am talking about the Brown by the way, just so no one gets confused.

GarPA
03-25-2004, 05:38 AM
Sam...maybe I was doing something wrong, but I find the EZ Trench rolls around a property a whole lot sasier than the Brown. THe Brown gets hung up on the auger when you try to move from one bed to the next. The EZ is smaller but cuts as well as the Brown. DOn;t you find the EZ is ez-ier (sorry for the pun...couldn't resist) to move around a property?

Both of them however have one problem. Whenever an existing bed has some steepness right next to the edge, sometimes neither machine will allow enough clearance for the auger "housing" to clear the raised bed area. This is the only little problem I've found with these machines.

weedwoop
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Sorry if this is a little off topic but, as yet, I have not had enough edging work to justify buying or renting a machine, so I am interested in hearing any good tips some of you guys might have for doing it without the bed edgers. I know it's pretty strait forward but many a time i have read something on here that I just didn't think of. Thanks.