PDA

View Full Version : stamped vs welded deck

knuckshemi
03-24-2004, 09:35 AM
What are the pros and cons of a stamped deck vs a welded deck. John Deere tells me that they are the only one with a Stamped 7 ga deck. I know everyone else it seems has a welded 7 ga deck.

:confused:

Pecker
03-24-2004, 10:00 AM
IMO, since I run a JD 757 with the "7-Iron" stamped deck, it is AWESOME. It has never left clumps of wet grass and after I mow in the dew, the deck is very clean with no grass stuck on it. However, I can't speak for a welded deck, but am very impressed with the stamped deck.

rookiemower
03-24-2004, 10:20 AM
stamped decks are usually put on homeowner equipment, but john deere seems to put them on there commercial stuff. the only downside i could see would be strength, but i could be wrong. i have a gravely with a 7 ga. welded deck and its tough as nails. I guess it all comes down to production time, stamped decks can be produced alot faster than fabed and welded decks

DLCS
03-24-2004, 10:28 AM
I have the JD 7 Iron deck and I like it alot. I've worked in the fabrication industry for several years and I can tell you a stamped deck costs more to produce initially than a fabed deck. If you hit something with a welded deck you put all the stress on the welds, with a stamped deck the stress of impact is placed on the unit as a whole. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a stamped or fabbed deck though.

ztoro
03-24-2004, 10:53 AM
i really dont think you would see any performance issues between a stamped or welded 7 guage deck.. I believe its the depth of the decks that is going to increase performance...

GLS
03-24-2004, 08:58 PM
I really don't think it matters a whole lot. Many people will tell you that a welded deck is better because if it breaks (cracks), it can be fixed a lot cheaper. People will also tell you that stamped decks do not stripe well. I have found that to be untrue with my JD 60" 7-Iron deck. Heck, last fall I was going down a hill and didn't see this big cast iron pipe sticking out of the ground...smacked right into it and broke it in half. Deck didn't show any signs of damage. I'll try and get a picture of the pipe.

Zito
03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
If stamped is easier and faster to make, and welded is not better, then why do they make welded?

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Not saying to do it but smack something solid with a stamped deck and then do it with a welded deck and see which one bends ,The stamped will bend but the welded will bounce off.I have a 44" Toro stand-on with a stamped deck and have had to beat out some minor bends in the front of the deck and I also have a 48" ExMark ZTR with a welded deck and never had any dent or bends.

specialtylc
03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
I have been using a stamped/ die formed deck for years , never had a problem. Actually a fabricated deck is cheaper to make than a stamped one. They gotta buy a die ( $50,000 to $100,000)and a large press ( up $1,000,000) to build a stamped deck. A welded deck can be built in your garage.

Pecker
03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
It seems to me that which ever deck is heavier gauge which stand up better to a blow, whether stamped or welded, but I don't have a degree in physics so it's just my opinion.

johnbast3
03-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Specialtylc is right.JD has spent a fortune on their dies.No other mfg. has a press as large as theirs.I'm a scag fan,however,I wouldn't hesitate at all on a JD deck..JB

amar
03-24-2004, 09:56 PM
It appears that everyone is switching over to welded decks
Lesco (MTD) Kubota. Ive never had any issues with the welds on any of my equipment 60" Hustler 60" Exmark 36" Wright Stander 52" Ferris 48" Scag Im sure the bigest factor is the thick piece of steal along the front edge of the decks. Also my crew flogs my equipment.

imograss
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
If you bend or break any commercial deck, you have severely screwed up. I haven't seen many broken decks in my time. I can say as a former Deere operator, I used the 7 Iron deck for three seasons. I did not have to scrape the clogged grass from the deck even one time. It cut great and would buy another. The majority of fab decks seem to clog in wet conditions, which in my area are daily sometimes till 12 or 1:00 without rain. Cut Quality on both in my experience were great, but sure did miss the 7iron in the wet conditions.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
03-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I bought a 48" exmark wb with a cracked deck. The crack started in the front right corner and was about 2" long. I welded it and didnt have a problem since. I guess one way to look at it, is that a stamped deck is one piece of metal and a welded deck is a bunch of pieces welded together. Just from my experience working with metal, it all comes down to the quality of your welds and the design of the deck. Obviously everything has its weak spot, it just matters if you hit that or not. Dents can always be banged out and cracks can alway be welded.

Sam-Ohio
03-24-2004, 11:12 PM
All the super heavy duty mowers [ like Bush Hogs , or the 28 ft batwings mowing along the freeway] - the mowers that can digest a fireplug and just go on. These mowers are all fabricated .

Did you ever notice that when you see a cracked or more often rusted through mower deck , it's usually a stamped deck, and the rust through happens up in the corners. I think this happens because the metal stretches and thins out there as the press pulls the metal over and down into the die as they do these "deep draw" stampings. They may be blanking out 7 ga. steel, but its not near that same thickness in the corners and edges after the die gets through pulling it down into shape.

A well engineered fabricated deck will not have its steel stressed and thined , and perhaps with micro cracks like the stamped type does, and thats the difference that helps it endure longer.

The thicker the steel in the press is, the greater the problem of stretching in short radius corners becomes.

dishboy
03-24-2004, 11:17 PM
I like the idea of a stamped deck if it is rounded unlike the welded decks which are hardly state of art from a airflow standpoint.

Zito
03-24-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by dishboy
I like the idea of a stamped deck if it is rounded unlike the welded decks which are hardly state of art from a airflow standpoint.

How fast are you driving that thing?!?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
03-24-2004, 11:33 PM
LOL, maybe a spoiler will help. J/K

mowingmachine
03-25-2004, 12:14 AM
In most cases stamped decks are made out of thinner steel and that is why they don't seem as strong. If you make a welded deck and a stamped deck out of the same gauge steel and reinforce the same on the top the stamped deck should hold up longer than the welded deck. One of the biggest causes of failure on any design is welds. Generally all cracks start at the weld. This problem is greatly reduced on a stamped deck. The reason most commercial mower manufacturers don't use a stamped deck is because they are too small to justify the additional tooling cost. Anyone can make a welded deck. The other nice thing about a stamped deck is you don't have to worry about warpage during welding when making the deck. Just my 2 cents.

mowingmachine

brucec32
03-25-2004, 02:04 AM
I would assume that a more rounded inside of a stamped deck would mean less clippings hanging up on edges and corners inside and you'd tend to have a cleaner deck.

It's lighter, probably not as strong, might allow for more aerodynamic air flow inside.

The welded fabricated decks are tough, handle collisions better, probably won't rust through as easily, and you'll have a harder time bending one .

marvinlee
05-10-2004, 11:36 PM
The 48-inch stamped deck on our old Gilson is over 30 years old and still works well. I had some cracks welded ten or twelve years ago when I rebuilt the whole machine. We use it hard. The Kubota ZD-21 that we also have came with a stamped deck. No problems thus far despite rough usage in the woods where we hit wire, rocks, small logs, and the occasional piece of old farm machinery. Having said all that, I think the fabricated decks tend to be stronger and more rugged. The John Deere stamped deck is an exception because Deere invested in some superb stamping dies that are strong enough to stamp thicker metal than other companies used.

rookiemower
05-11-2004, 10:17 AM
the press they use has 4 million pds per square inch or something.

biglawndog
05-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Alot of the stamped decks are 10 gauge on the top and 7 gauge skirts. I also own a JD 757 7 iron deck and it is great. Both decks are good though. It's what you prefer.

Fareway Lawncare
05-11-2004, 10:36 PM
Every Stamped Deck I've Owned has Sucked Eggs! No discharge velocity & Very Shallow.

husqvarna600c
05-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Every bend you put in a piece of metal makes it twice as strong. Look in the bed of a truck or in the trunk of a car and notice the bends in the body panels. The stamped steel can be made with a lighter guage steel and still be strong. Having said that a stamped deck will not hold up to abuse as well as a fabricated deck. I would like to see a fabricated deck on the outside with a replaceable inner stamped insert or liner that would give the deck its design and airflow characteristics. Then we could have the best of both worlds.

dishboy
05-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by husqvarna600c
Every bend you put in a piece of metal makes it twice as strong. Look in the bed of a truck or in the trunk of a car and notice the bends in the body panels. The stamped steel can be made with a lighter guage steel and still be strong. Having said that a stamped deck will not hold up to abuse as well as a fabricated deck. I would like to see a fabricated deck on the outside with a replaceable inner stamped insert or liner that would give the deck its design and airflow characteristics. Then we could have the best of both worlds.

Isn't that what John Deere does with the GS30?

TROTTMAN
05-12-2004, 02:47 AM
I didn't have time to read all of the above posts, so someone may have already mentioned this.

I think one of the most significant differences between stamped and welded decks is weight. Stamped decks ususally weight a good deal less. there is so much less unneeded metal on them. You get a cage and then put baffles inside to contain the grass in a welded deck, but on a stamped it is already formed for the application for the most part. I mean sure, you may have to get baffles for a mulch kit, but you have to get baffles on either type of deck for mulching.

husqvarna600c
05-12-2004, 09:21 AM
I would think so dishboy. it would seem that the deere 7 ga deck would be the best performing out there. Giving you the best of both worlds. Its amazing that they have the ability to stamp 7ga steel.

I think it really shows thier commitment to quality.

Itsgottobegreen
05-12-2004, 11:30 AM
It may be 7 gauge, but where the press bends the metal at 90 degrees the metal gets stretched so its no longer 7 gauge, more like 10 gauge. Were a 7 gauge welded deck is always 7 gauge, but the weld adds strenght since the weld builts up the metal in the process of fusion. I collect JD gardern tractors. You can bend those stamped decks, by taking them on and off the trailers at tractor shows. The bad part it is always the one that you just restored and repainted.

specialtylc
05-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Itsgottobegreen
It may be 7 gauge, but where the press bends the metal at 90 degrees the metal gets stretched so its no longer 7 gauge, more like 10 gauge. Were a 7 gauge welded deck is always 7 gauge, but the weld adds strenght since the weld builts up the metal in the process of fusion. I collect JD gardern tractors. You can bend those stamped decks, by taking them on and off the trailers at tractor shows. The bad part it is always the one that you just restored and repainted.
Dont try to compare your Home owner JD to a commercial stamped deck.

Sam-Ohio
05-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Kubota's main improvement on their zero turn for 2004, is the new FABRICATED mower deck !

mkwl
05-18-2004, 11:23 PM
there is no doubt that welded decks are much better than stamped decks.

DLCS
05-18-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by mkwl
there is no doubt that welded decks are much better than stamped decks.

Why? What stamped decks are you comparing to welded decks?

mkwl
05-19-2004, 04:25 PM
One of my neighbors has a john deere 445 mower with a 42" stamped steel deck. well, one day in the fall I was out in my yard picking up sticks when..wham I heard a really loud screech, and his mower stopped. He hit a huge rock and it put a huge hole in his deck.
I have never hit anything with my Bob-Cat w/welded deck, but my deck is much thicker(better built) than the john deere.
I could be wrong but I think a welded deck is far better.

specialtylc
05-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Many stamped decks are thicker than the fabricated ones. Its a matter of comparing apples to oranges.

naturescape
05-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Husq. said: I would like to see a fabricated deck on the outside with a replaceable inner stamped insert or liner that would give the deck its design and airflow characteristics.

-- Sounds like a great idea to me!

DLCS
05-19-2004, 09:03 PM
One of my neighbors has a john deere 445 mower with a 42" stamped steel deck. well, one day in the fall I was out in my yard picking up sticks when..wham I heard a really loud screech, and his mower stopped. He hit a huge rock and it put a huge hole in his deck.
I have never hit anything with my Bob-Cat w/welded deck, but my deck is much thicker(better built) than the john deere.
I could be wrong but I think a welded deck is far better.

First of all, I bet your neighbor had a 54" or 60" deck on that 445. Second you are comparing two different animals. Your Bob cat is a commercial mower so compare that to the JD 7 Iron commercial deck not the JD homeowner decks. there a big difference between the yellow and the green decks that JD makes, the green 7 IRON DECKS ARE MADE WITH 1/4" steel with a solid 1" diameter bar wrapped around the bottom of the skirt.

turfman33
05-19-2004, 09:07 PM
I'm with ****** on this one. I run a 727 with a mulch kit I might add. I cut due "wet" grass a couple of weeks ago. First it was long, (new account), then the wetness I thought for sure it would clump and stick under the mower. I got finished and drove half up my ramp to clean the underside out. It was as clean as when I drove onto the yard. Not even any clumps left on the grass. It mulched that long, wet grass up like nothing.

Steve

mkwl
05-19-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey, dlcs, like I said, I could be wrong about the 7 iorn decks.
I still would only buy a welded deck. His deck is a 42" by the way.

Nothing beats a Bob-Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my Bob-Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOSS MAN
05-20-2004, 03:27 AM
We run ten crews a day at sixty yards a day and three hundred yards a week. We only use Toro 36' WB's with the welded decks. I've never seen ONE of our decks dent like some of the other LCO's stamped decks. I've got a friend of mine that runs JD's and he swears they're the best decks on the market. At the same time he's got quite a few dents in his decks. I personally would choose the welded. It's alot easier to fix than stamped.

DLCS
05-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Hey, dlcs, like I said, I could be wrong about the 7 iorn decks.
I still would only buy a welded deck. His deck is a 42" by the way.

Nothing beats a Bob-Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love my Bob-Cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could be? I believe you are but to each his own.

No way coulod he have a 42" deck on a 445, that deck would not be as wide as the rear tires on that tractor. You must be mistaken on what tractor he has then.

Shortgrass
05-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Sam-Ohio posted:
"Kubota's main improvement on their zero turn for 2004, is the new FABRICATED mower deck"

They did this to use 7-gauge steel as opposed to the 10 gauge they were using for their decks. The new fabricated 7 gauge decks are only for the diesel models.

derekarbeiter
03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
:usflag:First of all, welded or stamped, it's all just personal opinion. However, stamped is better when done properly. Airflow is better, strength is better, and that translates to better cut quality and a longer life deck. For example, a welded deck has a welded seam on the top of the side skirts as a part of its design where as the stamped is solid steel= STRONGER. A welded deck has corners which can catch grass where as the stamped has smooth, rounded sides which push grass out= BETTER CUT QUALITY. I am aware that a 7-gauge welded deck is beter than a 12 gauge stamped but when you stamp something such as the 7-IRON, there is no comparison. I think a lot of people see the welded deck and its squared corners and think that it is stronger because of it just looks beefier. However, you have to realize that a stamped piece of steel is stronger than one with a welded seam. So why do most companies use weded decks? A: Cost and the majority (It costs millions of dollars to buy presses, dies, etc. where as you can weld a deck in your garage. And of course the majority of the consumers have this idea in there head that welded is stronger.) SO YOU DECIDE. DEMO, DEMO, DEMO.

Oh, and by the way: a John Deere 445 would NOT have a 42 inch deck.

GravelyNut
03-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I've worked with both stamped and welded decks from the same maker. Even down to the same size decks. The stamped steel ones are less prone to building up clumps than the welded ones. But the welded ones are the stronger of the two. Just because it is welded does not make it weaker. Welds are normally stronger than the parent metal that they are joining. If the mfg didn't weld it enough, that is a different story. And to get the best of both worlds, the welded deck ( 60 " ) that I'm building has ground, filleted welds that look like a stamping on the underside where it counts. If people don't like what the mfgs make, talk to a local welding shop about building one to suit you. Take the best ideas of both types and build a better deck.

VanceTrendov
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
I have the JD 7 Iron deck and I like it alot. I've worked in the fabrication industry for several years and I can tell you a stamped deck costs more to produce initially than a fabed deck. If you hit something with a welded deck you put all the stress on the welds, with a stamped deck the stress of impact is placed on the unit as a whole. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either a stamped or fabbed deck though.

You still put the pressure on the "joint" yet it is spread much better with a stamped deck, so you are less likely to have a problem

Vance

Sammy
03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
The new 7-Iron ll decks have a welded bar on the bottom of the front skirt now !

derekarbeiter
03-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes the weld is stronger because it builds up through fusion. However the steel around the weld is heated up, thus making it weaker. That's typically the problem, or the weld itself cracks. But with new technologies such as robot welders, this potential for breaking is reduced. However you still wont match the precision of a press stamping steel into a solid form. Welded decks are NOT stronger than stamped ones. This is a misconception. If the steel on the bottom edge of the deck contains a rolled lip or is reinforced or both, it creates superior strength. Like I said before, its just personal opinion. Both designs are good, both have advantages and disadvantages over one another. I'm not trying to put down the welded decks, because I have both designs and both are good. I'm just saying that stamped decks have no weld points on the main shell, so there is less parts to break.