PDA

View Full Version : top three

knuckshemi
03-24-2004, 10:38 AM
What are the top three best selling commercial mowers and why? I thought that Kubota would be, but according to another thread they are not.

dbear
03-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Based upon non-scientific methods (casual observation while driving around), in my area I'd say Exmark is #1, followed by a Scag and Ferris in a tie.

locutus
03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Exmark, Skag, Hustler. Why? its just the way it is.

jajwrigh
03-24-2004, 01:57 PM
You realize that everyone is going to post their opinion right?

Expert Lawns
03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Number of mowers I have - 1
Number of brands I have - 1
Best mower in the world - Exmark

I have nothing to compare my exmark to. All I can say is it does a great job for me. You will get so many opinions about this thread that you probably won't be able to come to a very good conclusion.

sproutlscape
03-24-2004, 06:53 PM
Scag #1
Exmark #2
Walker #3
That's just me.
:p

Flipperneck
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Nobody likes dixies anymore?
I thought it would be:
#1 Exmark
#2 Dixie
#3 Grasshopper

Zito
03-24-2004, 07:02 PM
exmark
grasshopper
ferris

SCFF
03-24-2004, 08:06 PM
#1 Toro
#2 Exmark
#3 Don't matter see #1 or # 2

Just my opinion

djlawn
03-25-2004, 11:43 PM
well exmark and toro are made by the same company. I have 1 60" Exmark ZTR, 48" Exmark Hydro walk behind, and a 32" Exmark belt walk behind. I like the Exmarks. My OPINION for the top 3 mower brands are in no particular order.

1. Exmark
2. Ferris
3. Walker

Karian
03-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Find a good dealer who sticks with a good brand. I have two different makes Dixie and Exmark. My Exmark dealers have sold them for the 10 years I've been in Bussiness. My Dixies have had a different dealer change every year since I bought them 4 years ago and I email the company last week to find where a dealer is this year and I have heard NOTHING, VERY bad customer service . I still like the machine but what do you do when you need a part !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lawnman_scott
03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
i would say exmark dixie and toro in that order. Unless you count all the toro howmowner models.

Doster's L & L
03-26-2004, 01:45 AM
How about the ever relilable WOODS? Yeah right! The only thing reliable about the Woods is that you can rely on them breaking down a few times a week. I like Kubota. They ARE reliable and more fuel efficient than any gas burner, but the cut may be a little less quality than the Exmark. I have a 28hp efi Exmark, so i kinda know the differences in the 2.

grasssin
03-26-2004, 02:33 AM
In my neck of the woods it goes like this:

1. Walker: EVERY lco has at least one on the back of their trucks
followed by a LONG way
2. Exmark: Exies are moving into the neighborhood slowly but surely
3. Toro

Sam-Ohio
03-26-2004, 04:03 AM
Actually if you read their literature carefully - how they phrase their claims that is, I believe it goes -

Scag is the largest selling single brand .

Exmark is no doubt next.

Bobcat was number three - but Toro may be at no 3 by now.

Scag's literature, and their company reps. say that Scag is the largest "independent" maker of commercial mowers.

Exmarks says they are now the leading manufacturer of Z commercial mowers.

What all this careful use of terminology tells me is that Scag has been the largest selling brand ,probably since the late 1980's.

After Toro bought out Exmark, they started to source their larger Z mowers out of the Beatrice /Exmark plant. So, with this combined production of what is essentially the same machine, made all in the same Nebraska plant , by the Exmark division of Toro Corp. their claim to be the largest maker of commecial Z mowers is no doubt accurate.

This whole thing sort of reminds me of the claims and counter claims of size that is going on between Toyota and Ford right now. It all sort of depends on the way we do the counting, and how we phrase the wording that makes the claim true.

There are so many other brands now, and the market is so fractured that huge, dominant companies like John Deere, Cub Cadet, Kubota, and second teir companies like Ariens/Gravely, Husqvarna/Kees, Simplicity/Ferris/Snapper, can't get enough traction to make much headway , and increase their market share to a dominant position yet.

Walker, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, Great Dane, all have pockets of popularity, and are all presently doing well as this market continues to explode.
There is a crowd of micro manufacturers out there, that are virtually working out of garage size plants , and some of them will hang on for a few years , till this whole thing stabilizes and retreats a bit - then they will just disappear.

sawman65
03-26-2004, 06:59 AM
#1 exmark
#2 hustler
#3 dixie chopper
i sell these 3 for a living am i slanted in my choices?? your darn
right

mike48114
03-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Exmark would be first. Toro second becouse they have incorperated most of Exmark's quality points into thier machines. and a dead tie for last....everyother scrap of metal and bolts.

MTR
03-26-2004, 01:58 PM
#1 eXmark
#2 Scag
#3 Ferris
#4 Hustler
why eXmark top dog? The "cut" is unquestionable, the rest is later.