PDA

View Full Version : Cousin killed yesterday

impactlandscaping
03-24-2004, 12:12 PM
Yesterday, in a friend's basement among friends, my 15 year old cousin was killed in Ashburn , Va. I would ask everyone to keep my uncle's family and the rest of our family in thought and prayers at this tragic time of loss and mourning. Some of you guys in Loudoun county may already be familiar with the ongoing story there. This is a great network of friends here, and I appreciate all the support and prayer you could offer to them at this time. We'll all miss you , Nick.....

Thanks,

Bill

CamLand
03-24-2004, 12:14 PM
sorry to here about your families loss,you have my family and companies full prays at this time..

locutus
03-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and your family.

Eric 1
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Wow i'm sorry man. We will be praying for you and friends/familey.

Eddyyy302
03-24-2004, 12:37 PM
My deepest condolences, and my prayers that your family will come to terms, and emerge from this terrible event.

Dan
Eddy Landscape Design

stslawncare
03-24-2004, 12:38 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. care to share what happened? talking about things always help

Meg-Mo
03-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

jajwrigh
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
My thoughts and prayers as well.

Gravely_Man
03-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Here is the story. My prayers are with you. This is the next town over from me.

Ashburn slaying: Tragic accident?
By Scott Cissel
03/23/2004

Times-Mirror Staff Photo/Andrew Farewell

An Ashburn teenager was charged Tuesday in the shooting death of Donald Nicholas Shomaker, a 15-year-old freshman at Broad Run High School.

Matthew J. Lathram, 17, was in the Loudoun County Juvenile Detention Center, charged with involuntary manslaughter and reckless use of a firearm in the Monday evening tragedy, according to court records. Lathram is a student at Broad Run and attends alternative education programs.

An attorney familiar with criminal law said the involuntary manslaughter charge indicates the shooting was an accident -- that Lathram had no intent to shoot or kill Shomaker.

The shooting occurred at a home in the 43900 block of Bruceton Mills Circle, where Lathram has lived with his grandparents for 10 years.

Lathram ran from his home, shouting to a sheriff's deputy that the shooting was accident, according to a neighbor. "I didn't hear him say anything other than that it was a total accident," said the neighbor, who asked not to be named. "The kid was upset, he was hanging his head."

Sheriff's deputies arrived at the scene at 6:22 p.m. Monday, shortly after dispatchers received a 911 call that someone had been shot, said sheriff's Lt. Col. Randy Badura. Shomaker "was lying in the basement of the home with a single gunshot wound to the chest," said Badura.

At 7:30 p.m., Lathram and another young man were seated in deputies' cars in front of the home. Both were questioned, Badura said. The second young man was not charged, and was not identified.

Passersby at the scene of the shooting said they frequently saw teenage boys loitering around the front of Lathram's home in the upscale neighborhood. About a year ago, several neighbors said the garage door was spray-painted with graffiti and a window was broken.

On Tuesday, grief counselors were on hand at Broad Run High School throughout the day. Loudoun County Public School's spokesman Wayde Byard said the faculty gathered before class to discuss the incident. "There were some tears shed this morning," said Byard.

He added that counselors will be available for students as long as needed. "We're letting them find the level where they can function right now," said Byard.

Dylan Love, a senior at Broad Run, said he felt the school responded well in the wake of the incident. "There were some people that were pretty upset by it," said Love. "The school wanted to be as open as possible."

Love said a locker has been dedicated to Shomaker, where students and faculty can place sympathy cards and flowers.

The case is still under investigation by authorities.

PROCUTSLAWNCARE
03-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Many prayers.

Lux Lawn
03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss to your family in this tough time.

Larry

MudslinginFX4
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm very sorry. My prayers are with your family.

chuckwk
03-24-2004, 04:59 PM
Prayers to you and yours.

therainman
03-24-2004, 05:22 PM
very sorry to hear of your loss my families prayers and condolences.

Lazer_Z
03-24-2004, 05:43 PM
impact/Bill I'm sorry to hear obout the loss

As others have siad prayers are with you and your family

Pecker
03-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Impact, my prayers are not only with you, your family, and your cousin.

We have something in common here, because I lost my 16 year old first cousin back in 1989, the very same way. He and a couple friends were about to go hunting when a friend was showing him a new gun and it discharged. He passed a few hours later during surgery.

Again, my prayers are with you.

aries
03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Bill me and my family offer our prayers to u and yours I am sorry!

Doc Pete
03-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by impactlandscaping
We'll all miss you , Nick.....
Thanks,
Bill

I hope I can help. Donít say youíll miss him. Remember him as if heís still here, but just on vacation. I know it may sound stupid, but heís in your thoughts and memories forever and donít ever let them go.
When I start missing my Dad or Mom, I just remember a particular time when I was with one of them, having fun. Those memories are yours and always will be. Keep them close to you.
Thatís part of the game. If you donít lose your memories, youíll always be able to ďvisitĒ with him.
Just think, if you are away from a loved one, you can bring them close just by thinking of a pleasant memory of them. You can do the same with Nick.
DP

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2004, 06:27 PM
My condolences to you and your family

jbob
03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
my thoughts are with you and yours.

Scenic Lawnscape
03-24-2004, 06:38 PM
My condolences to you and your family, I will keep you in my prayers

Richard Martin
03-24-2004, 06:57 PM
I lost my brother to an "accidental" shooting many years ago. I know that it hurts for you now and it probably will for some time to come. You will deal with it though as I did and continue to do so.

My condolences sincerely go to you and your entire family.

Richard Martin

fga
03-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Sorry Impact.... so young. In alot of prayers tonight.

impactlandscaping
03-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words here. It helps to know there are people who care for people unknown to them, and that they would take the time to offer sympathies and condolences to our family. In this day and time , people are hardened by city life and events on the news, and never really let things like this "sink in" for a reality check. It could be anyone's cousin, son,daughter,friend, etc..Thanks for sharing and caring.

Bill

bobbygedd
03-24-2004, 09:02 PM
i'm so sorry dude. damn shame

Zito
03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
My Grandfather was murdered last April, so I know how the suddeness can kind of take your breath away. I told my family about your situation, and we'll be praying for peace and comfort for you and your loved ones. Our condolences.
Rich

JohnsonLawn
03-24-2004, 09:11 PM
Impact, very sorry to hear of your loss. Although many of us are unknown to you, you are still among friends. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

EastProLawn
03-24-2004, 09:17 PM
My thoghts & prayers to you and your family, God Speed his love to you.

workaholic
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
This is a very tragic story. Condolences to you and your family.

pokemon
03-24-2004, 09:43 PM
My condolences to you and your family

mower_babe
03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
A true tragedy. Will say a prayer - God Bless.

proenterprises
03-24-2004, 10:37 PM
very very sorry for your loss, prayers are with you and your fallen angel. he is in a good place. godd bless.

Jeff Quinn
03-24-2004, 10:39 PM
God bless you all.

LawnRangerofColumbus
03-24-2004, 10:53 PM
May God be with you and your family in your time of grief. Lean on friends and family when they ask if they can help. They Don't know what else to do for you but help. LET THEM!! Prayers are with you.

NEPSJay
03-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Thoughts and prayers to You and Yours.........

Bond's Lawn Keepers
03-24-2004, 11:23 PM
My prayers are with you and your family. May God be with you at this time. Just remember the good times with your cousin. Because you will see him again one day.

lawnagent
03-25-2004, 12:16 AM
I had a preacher tell us one time not to grieve for our uncle, He had simply gone into a room, and we would be able to open the door to that room ourselves someday. My prayers are with you all

Runner
03-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Bill, we are SO sorry for this tragic loss. Know that your family and you are in our prayers, and we will certainly put you on our prayerlist. God bless.

greencash
03-25-2004, 01:22 AM
in my thoughts and prayers -God bless

Jlwnsrvce
03-25-2004, 01:28 AM
My condolences. I feel your pain. My girlfriend of 12 years passed away on the 13th. Im sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
03-25-2004, 05:47 AM
My prayers are with you and his family.Boy when stuff like this happens it forces us to think what is truly important in life.I think we all take things for granted. I'm a police officer so i see the not so good side of life and i truly believe that GOD plans things out for reasons unknown , of course we always don't like the answer or results. Be strong ,good luck.

Blades of Steel
03-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

affprop
03-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Mine and my crews hearts go out to you and your family. Our thoughts and our prayers go out to you. God Bless.

Critical Care
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
A terrible tragedyÖ I donít think there are words that can dry the tears, but our hearts feel the hurt and remind us of how precious and so terribly fragile life is.

Our heartfelt condolences and prayers extend to all who loved and cared for your cousin.

Moguy
03-25-2004, 11:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss and my prayers are with you

amd turf
03-26-2004, 12:00 AM
Bill, Im so sorry. God Bless you and your family.

Doster's L & L
03-26-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm sorry for the tragic loss. My thoughts are with you.

Dave W
03-26-2004, 12:56 AM
So sorry to hear about you're loss, been there.........it's not easy to deal with but time heals...my company and my families prayers are with you............... God bless.Dave Williams

satxmow
03-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Sorry to hear. God bless and my prayers are with you.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
03-26-2004, 01:10 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

venecular
03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
My prayers are with you and your love ones.

impactlandscaping
03-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks, everyone, and just a quick update on what's going on..

Upon searching the guy's basement, the police found a sawed off shotgun w/ pistol grip(nice stick up gun), the Glock 17 9mm used to kill my cousin, and a 357 mag., all unregistered of course. They also found 2K in cash, 1/2 pound marijuana,7 gms. of coke, magic mushrooms, pills, and all the packaging materials to distribute and resell the drugs. A witness told the police this guy had threatened Nick several times before, and knew he was carrying cash at the time of the shooting. From what his friends say, they were taken into the basement and then to be robbed.He picked up the Glock, placed it under his shirt, pointed it at Nick, said something and pulled the trigger.He said it was an accident, but anytime you point a loaded gun at someone, you know what you are about to do, IMHO. Sounds pre meditated to me, so I hope the bastard gets tried as an adult, and gets life w/ no parole or the death penalty. The police also said they were familiar with this home from reports in the past of drug activity, noise violations, and gunshots. This kid lived with his grandparents, were they totally blind to see what their grandson was doing in their basement? They were upstairs at the time of the shooting, but it was one of Nick's friends who went to a neighbors house to call 911. Maybe charges will come up against them as well for negligence.Sorry to vent..thanks for all the prayers and kind words . It means a lot to me and my family.

Rook00
03-26-2004, 01:45 PM
I Will pray for you, family, and friends. God is just, and he is faithful.

MOturkey
03-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Sorry to hear of this tragedy. My prayers are with you and your family.
Neill

ronslawncare
03-26-2004, 10:42 PM
im so sorry ,my prayers are with you and your family just remember gone but never forgotten.

bastalker
03-26-2004, 11:01 PM
sorry to hear about you loss Bill.

Gtotoy
03-27-2004, 10:11 AM
~~Sorry Bro', ,,in the end maybe~~