PDA

View Full Version : Cracked corn or Alfalfa pellets?

CT John
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Which do you prefer as an organic fertilizer?

CT John
03-30-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies.

woodycrest
03-30-2004, 01:26 PM
no sarcasm intended? lol :)

i prefer corn...

ChickensDoo
03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Curious why the preference for meal's based fertility? Meals very exspensive compared to Manures.
when it comes to feeding microbe's, dont believe they are that diet specific.
JIMMY CRACKED CORN, AND I DONT CARE ! Sorry couldnt help myself.

CT John
04-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by ChickensDoo
Curious why the preference for meal's based fertility? Meals very exspensive compared to Manures.
when it comes to feeding microbe's, dont believe they are that diet specific.
JIMMY CRACKED CORN, AND I DONT CARE ! Sorry couldnt help myself.

Do you have any suggestions for a homeowner hoping to start a organic-only fertilizing program? Thanks for the reply.

Dchall_San_Antonio
04-09-2004, 11:14 AM
First of all, when I see manure I am thinking of a fresh product. Fresh manure is relatively dangerous and has no place in gardening. Manure must be composted before using anywhere.

Ground seed, bean, and nut meals have proteins in them that the manures don't. Proteins have nitrogen in them as part of their elemental make up. That nitrogen becomes fertilizer after several thousands of microbes digest it. So that's the reason for liking ground meals over manures (or composts).

Composts definitely have their place in the garden. They go in when a soil loses its microbial life. That could come from using herbicide, fungicide, or insecticide on it. Or it could come from over use of regular commercial fertilizer. Or it could come from a flood that smothered the beneficials. Compost restores the microbes to the soil as an inoculant.

Dchall_San_Antonio
04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
CTJohn,
At the top of this forum are some FAQs that should answer your question at great length. If you have any questions after that, please write back.

wpines
04-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Composted, granular poultry manure is the best simple starter organic program. High in nitrogen 4-3-3, easy to spread, cheap to buy, melts thatch, good iron source.
It is full of beneficial microbes, bacteria, enzymes, fungi, and trace minerals.
Nobody here or on gardenweb ever talks about it.
20#/1000 sq ft, 4 times per year.
Sustane, cheap-cheap, agway natures way, espoma garden manure and many others. In connecticut, look up north country organics on the web.
About 4 to 8 bucks per hundred lbs.

wpines
04-09-2004, 08:44 PM
hey ct john, where in ct are you?

ChickensDoo
04-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I concur with wpines assesment of poultry manures. another source is Nutrients plus www.nutrientsplus.com, they have an all natural composted poultry manure " Nature Pure" with some solid research from ohio state.
In addition to fortified products. Again i state microbes are not diet specific, If you use meals do so for bio-diversity, not for specific protiens. I prefer composted poultry for the Many benificial characteristics aside from nutrient value, such as surpression of patch disease's.
Jimmy cracked corn and i dont care......

woodycrest
04-10-2004, 09:54 PM
hey chickens doo , leave poor jimmy alone... :)

Of course diversity is important, i started experimenting with corn last season .
i want to see if it works, and my experiment is still underway. At the end of this season i should have a good idea if it is feasible. I am quite certain that it works, but as i said, my experiment is ongoing.
I intend on experimenting with some other 'products' this year.
Maybe a combination of protien based animal feeds besides just corn would be better, i dont know.
i try very hard not to express my opinion in my posts, i post my observations and results.

it makes perfect sense that microbes are not diet specific. But if something works , why not use it?

THere is alot more to an organic program besides what fertilizer one uses. As i posted in another thread, mulch mowing on its own is very effective.
The other thing i like about corn is that it is locally grown and processsed, i like supporting my local community and econmoy.
THey will grind the corn how ever i want from 'chunky' to fine as long as it is by the 'batch'(about 1000 lbs).

Dave

ChickensDoo
04-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Dave,
i just couldnt help myself ! ha. I agree with supporting your local economy. the use of composted manure also acts as a vacumn cleaner for a waste problem prevelent in the good old usa, and addresses water quality issues as well.
personal preference, and i can see meals for the biodiversity aspects. I do not hesitate to express my opinion in my posts, as my opinions have been formed by my observations, as well as many years of trial and error. Hopefully someone takes something from them. I also learn greatly from these posts. always fresh ideas and thoughts. enjoy your commonsense approach to turf care.
take care!

Norm Al
04-14-2004, 10:26 AM
i kinda dig your opinions chickenpoop!:)

trying 2b organic
04-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Woa, Sustain is really expensive here, I wish I could get it cheap. I finally found a fert supplier with alfalfa pellets. I couldnt use feed professionally cause I couldnt find out for sure what was in it and need it granular or pellet form for ease of application. I also use a feathermeal, bonemeal, potash 8-3-3. Also not too cheap. More and more suppliers have access to 100 % organic fertlilizer in granular form. btw I know Sustain is not 100 % organic. Good bridge product i gather.

CT John
04-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by wpines
hey ct john, where in ct are you?

Hey what's up. I'm in Southington.

Originally posted by Dchall_San_Antonio
CTJohn,
At the top of this forum are some FAQs that should answer your question at great length. If you have any questions after that, please write back.

Thanks David. I have read all of the FAQs and nearly all of the threads since this forum was started and I greatly appreciate you and others sharing your knowledge and experiences. Thanks to all for their replies.
John

CT John
04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Has anyone used Organic-Gro (http://www.organic-gro.com/index.shtml) products? It is made primarily of poultry manures as many of you have spoken of. I have been using them along with the cracked corn since last spring. It is more expensive than the corn at about $13 for a 40# bag, but it is worth it to me to add a little diversity to me soil. I get the corn at $6.75 for 50# bags.

wpines
04-16-2004, 07:18 AM
how much lawn do you have?

CT John
04-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by wpines
how much lawn do you have?

Around 15K.

BDC
04-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Hey CT John I am in Avon and am interested in cracked corn, where do you get it

CT John
04-20-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BDC
Hey CT John I am in Avon and am interested in cracked corn, where do you get it

I get it at a farmer's exchange store here in Bloomfield where I work.