PDA

View Full Version : JRCO Front Mount Tine Rake Dethatcher

C & T
03-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Have any of you tried or use this product. I was thinking of buying it for the new 60" lazer Z. It retails for $499.00

Here is the link to the web site.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/dethatcher.html

Any insight would be helpful in my decesion.

Thanks,
Shawn

lawnchopper
03-25-2004, 11:40 AM
ya, we've use them they work fine. We have it mounted on our Toro Z master 350.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Used it today I think I like it. The handle is worthless it instales easy enough but cant lift since it has no room to work with the hight of the bar. And pulling it up with a rope is a ***** thing has to have 150 pounds of force from that angle what I do like is it uses the same bar the leaf plow uses so I now take them both with me and switch off through the clean ups.

One thing its not thatching so don't sell it as that but it does a ok job at freeing up the leaves and seed pods that are embeded in the lawn.

John Gamba
03-25-2004, 01:51 PM
If you put it low enough it will bring up a lot of dead grass. Dont use the handle and a rope is good enough but like kelly said it can be hard.
Once you learn it theres nothing like it anywhere. But if you realy have a TON of thatch you might want to use a POWER DEthatcher.
john

Oh if you have a 2002 and newer lazer, they have BIGGER CASTERS so you will need the extentions for it.

tiedeman
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
I have used it before in the past, works pretty good. Make sure you have a hydro though. It really bogs down the machine. The sucker is heavy too.

C & T
03-25-2004, 04:21 PM
I talked to someone who used one and he said it was a PITA to put together and not to get fustrated while doing so. I've rented power dethatchers in the past but thought my profit margin would be better off owning my own. There are two commercial properties I just picked up that need it.

I ordered it this afternoon.

Hey John, you said extentions? I just picked up an 03' lazer 60" (I didn't like the look of the 04's).

Thanks to all.

Shawn

bastalker
03-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Mine just came in to lesco. I haven't had a chance tp pick it up yet.I wasn,t wantin to hear that its in pain to put together!!!

Spose to rain tomarrow, probably pick it an put it together...Wont need it for a month or so yet. Grounds pretty soft right now, still tryin to thaw out...!!

Esby
03-25-2004, 06:25 PM
I just bought one, my dealer is mounting it for me, so I'll let you know how it works when things finally dry up.

rodfather
03-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Got a 60 incher mounted on the front of one of my 61"WB's along with a 470 Trac Vac system. Can you say, "saaaweet"? I love that combo btw...as in cha-ching!!!

Turfcutters Plus
03-25-2004, 07:51 PM
I built mine for toro z from john deere.Brackets took a long time this winter to make.Lots of engineering there.I put a bent fence post to lift with foot.I can lean back in my seat for more support.I have chain mounted for transporting longer distances.Seems to work well.I have e-z vac 5hp on back of z.Only paid $150 for it,was like new.Brackets are adjustable to work on walk-behinds also.Kinda cool,it will flip over and sit on walk behind front.Jrco has more tines,but i believe this one is tougher built.

kris
03-25-2004, 08:04 PM
I love ours but don't expect it to do the job of a dedicated power dethacher. Wasn't that hard to put together.

SDlawndawg
03-25-2004, 08:37 PM
I have one on the front of my grasshopper midmount with a peco vac. Installation was easy. Just bolt it together. It's a little flimsy so go easy on it. Most of the holes for the pins are ovaled on mine so I get to do a little fabricating this spring. I'm gonna run some beefier angle iron for the support brackets while I'm at it.

It won't do the work of a power rake unless you cover the lawn about 50 times. It does work great though for cleaning up lawns that don't necessarily need dethatching but just need the leaves, sticks etc to be pulled up. The lawn looks great since it stripes really well.

It's definitely not worth $500 but it seems that Jerco is the only company that makes a dethatcher compatible with commercial mowers. If other companies would make their own then the price would come down I think.

gogetter
03-25-2004, 11:07 PM
You can get these cheaper on ebay sometimes. Pretty nice deal when the guy has them on there.

Phishook
03-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by John Gamba
Oh if you have a 2002 and newer lazer, they have BIGGER CASTERS so you will need the extentions for it.

HuH?
What extensions?

John Gamba
03-26-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by C & T
I talked to someone who used one and he said it was a PITA to put together and not to get fustrated while doing so. I've rented power dethatchers in the past but thought my profit margin would be better off owning my own. There are two commercial properties I just picked up that need it.

I ordered it this afternoon.

Hey John, you said extentions? I just picked up an 03' lazer 60" (I didn't like the look of the 04's).

Thanks to all.

Shawn

Its only a pain if you use the Handle. The 04 lazers are nice But i like the old school look of the 03's and older better too:cool: .
The extentions fit between the bar and dethacher. I'll try a post a pic tonight.
John

John Gamba
03-26-2004, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Phishook
HuH?
What extensions?

I'll post a pic tonight of the extentions on a 02 lazer. See exmark BEEFED up the 02 lazers and newer to hold the 72" deck better.

PaulJ
03-26-2004, 12:41 PM
I orderd one ofor my 48" hustler swb a couple days ago. I used these when working for another LCO a few years ago. then we used them with spring cleanups and would make several passes over a lawn and remove a lot of debris. I did order some extra tines because I remember breaking and haveing to replace a few every week. I actually looking forward to getting to use it soon.

lawncuttinfoo
03-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Will using JRCO tine in the spring make the lawn more weed prone?

I have heard people say that true dethatching will make it more weed prone but how about one of these?

Runner
03-30-2006, 12:25 PM
The JRCO rake doesn't take enough out to make the lawn more prone to weeds - let alone equal a true dethatching. I can say one thing about these things...they are a true revenue maker.

dcondon
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
I used ours yesterday and it did a good job. Alos have a Turfco w/b thats even better.:waving:

DLCS
03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Here is a link to one that we built over the winter. Only have about $200 in it and its heavier duty than the JRCO unit. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=138313

Ramairfreak98ss
04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
so how much are the 36" and 60" front dethatchers? like $200 or $800? how about a front mount ztr aerator they sell it could work on my 61" wide ferris.

You guys make it sound like you have lawn accounts that require thatching? you thatch every week or once a year or what? i only do it on occasion when people request it for new lawns etc.

mcwlandscaping
04-10-2006, 10:49 PM
i am buying my jrco tine rake for $450....