View Full Version : Driveway Question Help Quick!

03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
OK I need to do an estimate on a driveway resurface. The driveway has some crushed stone, gravel type mix and the customer wants 3/8 pea gravel put down and spread. I think it only needs about a 1/2in of stone on top. The driveway is about 210 ft long 11ft wide then has an area of about 40x 40 for parking. I figure about 2600sq ft to be safe. I think I would get 15 ton of stone and would rent a bobcat for the day and one helper. How am I so far? Now for pricing. The stone goes for $25 a ton dropped off and the bobcat is $210 for the day. I would charge $500 for stone and $600 for labor and rental. OK I might be crazy but let me know I have to call the guy back today. Thanks in advance.

03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
I came out with 3910 SF. I dont think its possible to spread it 1/2 inch thick. I would figure 2 inches of gravel to be safe, and that would about double your estimate on tonnage. Your better off with a little extra then not enough. It will probably take you and a helper a couple hours to spread it.

03-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Yea I worked it out again, my math is bad. Anyway I would need like almost 30 tons at $750 then. I think I would need a bobcat to move it all around right? That would be a lot of raking! How would you guys do it? Whats the best route I really wanna take a crack at it.

03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Anybody else have any input for me?

03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey Springman,

Here's my oppinion, I don't know how good you are with a steer, but personally I would use a regular bucket, so that you can move the gravel to the adequate areas, as well as leveling and compacting, personally I WOULD use the steer, and probably look at about a half day to spread, and lightly compact. You and a helper that is, one with the steer and one with the rake. Oh and Pea gravel will compact ALOT, so MORE IS BETTER!

Hope this helps

Eddy Landscape Design

03-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I only pay about $11 per ton for runner crush, the 10 wheeler brings about 20 tons for $225. Are you getting it right from the quarry? That price sounds high, but I have never priced out pea gravel.

Eddy 302 is right probably a half a day all together.