PDA

View Full Version : Driveway Question Help Quick!

springman26
03-25-2004, 02:09 PM
OK I need to do an estimate on a driveway resurface. The driveway has some crushed stone, gravel type mix and the customer wants 3/8 pea gravel put down and spread. I think it only needs about a 1/2in of stone on top. The driveway is about 210 ft long 11ft wide then has an area of about 40x 40 for parking. I figure about 2600sq ft to be safe. I think I would get 15 ton of stone and would rent a bobcat for the day and one helper. How am I so far? Now for pricing. The stone goes for $25 a ton dropped off and the bobcat is $210 for the day. I would charge $500 for stone and $600 for labor and rental. OK I might be crazy but let me know I have to call the guy back today. Thanks in advance.

CNYScapes
03-25-2004, 02:34 PM
I came out with 3910 SF. I dont think its possible to spread it 1/2 inch thick. I would figure 2 inches of gravel to be safe, and that would about double your estimate on tonnage. Your better off with a little extra then not enough. It will probably take you and a helper a couple hours to spread it.

springman26
03-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Yea I worked it out again, my math is bad. Anyway I would need like almost 30 tons at $750 then. I think I would need a bobcat to move it all around right? That would be a lot of raking! How would you guys do it? Whats the best route I really wanna take a crack at it.

springman26
03-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Anybody else have any input for me?

Eddyyy302
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Hey Springman,

Here's my oppinion, I don't know how good you are with a steer, but personally I would use a regular bucket, so that you can move the gravel to the adequate areas, as well as leveling and compacting, personally I WOULD use the steer, and probably look at about a half day to spread, and lightly compact. You and a helper that is, one with the steer and one with the rake. Oh and Pea gravel will compact ALOT, so MORE IS BETTER!

Hope this helps

Dan
Eddy Landscape Design

CNYScapes
03-25-2004, 06:59 PM
I only pay about $11 per ton for runner crush, the 10 wheeler brings about 20 tons for $225. Are you getting it right from the quarry? That price sounds high, but I have never priced out pea gravel.

Eddy 302 is right probably a half a day all together.