PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Utah

athep
03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
I've been working for a lawn care company here in utah for the past three years (I won't say the name because I don't think they're totally legit). Well he's getting out of the business and has offered it to me. I'm very interested but I don't know all the steps to becoming a legitimate business here in Utah. I've been doing searches of other threads and got good information but was wondering if there was anyone from here that had more specific info. I'ts primarily a mowing company with some spring clean up and odd jobs here and there. No large landscaping, installs, etc. Thanks for the help. As far as I know I'm not in any competing areas to those that I've seen from Utah (Wells etc.)

Wells
03-25-2004, 09:50 PM
athep,

If you want to PM me with any specific questions that you may have pertaining to becoming a legitimate business in Utah, feel free.

First you'll need to register your business name with the Utah department of Commerce and depending on the structure of your business you may need to register for a tax ID number.

Second you'll need to go to your local city and apply for a business license.

Third check into liability insurance, and if your doing any fertilizer apps you'll need to be licensed in pesticides.

If your doing any landscaping you need to keep it under $1000. per job including time and materials. If you exceed that figure you'll need to be licensed as a landscaping contractor.

Finally go market the crap out of SLC. There seems to be plenty of work out there, you should do well.

Again feel free to PM me with more specific questions.

lars24
03-26-2004, 12:06 AM
hey guys; i'm just starting out up here in the ogden area. i got a line on some cheep advertising, but am afraid most replies might come from your end of I-15. if you PM me with your info, i will refer any work your way.

-mike

Team Gopher
03-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Athep,

Here is a site that may be helpful.

http://www.utah.gov/business/main/index

cdawg12
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Hey Wells, I just found your PM. Sorry it took so long, but I just figured out how to open it. thanks.

Hi athep,
I am new, but if I can help let me know.
chris

athep
03-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the help, do you guys recommend an LLC or sole proprietorship, or some other form.

Wells
03-26-2004, 08:59 PM
Less paperwork with a sole proprietor than with an LLC but more risk involved.

I operate as a sole proprietor and its been good so far.

precisioncut
03-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Good luck to all you guys in Utah, I'm down it St. George. Any questions, PM me.

lars24
04-29-2004, 06:48 PM
hey guys,
anyone in the market for a 32" WB? it's an Encore (same guy that started emarx) gear drive with under 20hrs on it. i bought it a month ago and it's great....... problem being i'm still in the military and you guessed it..... i just found out i'm leaving for the entire summer. so if anyone is intersted i'll let it go for a good price. PM me or call me @ 801-589-0425

-mike