PDA

View Full Version : Water Problem In Backyard

lawnboy51
03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Buying a house and the former owners had an above ground pool. Well its no longer there but there is a nice round pit which is full of water. In fact the whole area where the pool was is a mess as far as water goes. Any suggestions on what to do here? Someone suggested to put a sign out front for "fill dirt wanted". Should I use topsoil for this since I eventually want to have a nice lawn there?

Thanks guys.

BSDeality
03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
how about making a pond?

lawnboy51
03-25-2004, 05:17 PM
I had thought about maybe doing an inground pool but I don't think I could afford that right now.

CaptainslawnCare
03-25-2004, 05:27 PM
I think they call it a "French drain." three feet deep filled with crushed stone and use a metal mesh cylinder as your form. Sometimes they need to be deeper.

WeatherMan
03-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Just fill it in with topsoil so you can grow some nice grass. If you use fill your most likely going to get nasty clay

tawilson1152
04-11-2004, 08:37 AM
I did this for someone last summer. It was 8' on the deep end. I had sand hauled in, spread it with my tractor and compacted with a roller between loads, then topped with 6" of topsoil. Looked good last year, haven't been there this "spring" to see what it looks like.

ipm
04-11-2004, 02:22 PM
If the surrounding areas are not where you would like them to be I would simply use a skid steer loader and regrade the entire plot. You will find that the existing material will fill your problem area. I would then rake seed and straw, or sod.

Mdirrigation
04-11-2004, 07:35 PM
buy another above ground pool and put it in the same spot . After a long hot day you will love it

NCSULandscaper
04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
I would french drain the area and cover with topsoil. Topsoil alone will make nothin more than a large mudhole, you have to get the water way down in the ground for it to perculate through out the subsoil.