PDA

View Full Version : do you mark up your supplies if??

Scenic Lawnscape
03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
I have a customer that i am doing a bid for a "small landscape project" compared to what you guys handle, but anyways he said he has been looking at the "supplies" for the job at home depot and lowes and is trying to get a ruff idea on what materials are going to cost him. I am going to buying the supplies at a local landscape supply house, so what kind of mark-up should i put on the supplies if any??. Also i figured if i take the amout of the supplies and double or triple I should be ok. This a retaining wall about 45' long 24" high with a few curves, 4 below ground flower boxes, intalling about a dozen 10" potted shrubs, building a flower ring behind the retaining wall installing all the flowers and also intalling 3 trees. Also around the contour of the retaining wall putting in a trim ring to fill in with the same kind of rocks that i will be using through out the rest of the project so with alll this should i be ok with marking it up 2 or 3 times to cover labor??

Thanks in advance

Rich

NCSULandscaper
03-25-2004, 10:00 PM
i have tried the multiply the price by 2.5 to get the price for the plants and install lately, its not too far off from my hourly rate. You should be safe with that since ure just starting off it seems.

Mdirrigation
03-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Very simply, what do you want to make off the job ? Add that figure to the cost of the materials . Thats the price. Think of it this way if you got the materials for free 3 times nothing is nothing . I double the cost of materials , then add what I want to make installing on top of that. Doubling the materials covers plants that die , and the time to order and pick them up.

Randy Scott
03-25-2004, 10:46 PM
If a customer is going to do that type of price checking, I think we'd pretty much pass on the job. The cost of the plant material at a "box store" is relative to what it costs. Meaning it's cheaper than our nursery and that's because it's junk.

Any mark-up on the plant material the guy will be questioning. Doesn't sound like a job I'd pursue too heavily.

D Felix
03-26-2004, 01:53 PM
I would have to agree with Randy on this one.

We usually double our cost for materials, that is our mark-up.

For labor, we know how long it will take to do certain tasks, i.e., how long it takes to plant a 1 gallon vs. a B&B tree. That is all added up, then our labor rate is applied.

Add the marked-up materials to our labor, add tax on the materials, then submit the quote to the client...

Dan