PDA

View Full Version : Your approach...flowers first or last?

GarPA
03-26-2004, 06:46 AM
On the larger flower displays we've always installed the mulch first then the flowers. On avg, each display has about 120 wave petunias on 24" centers. It seems easier to do it this way but I think I'm in the minority on this as we talked a little about this a couple years ago here.

If you've done it both ways, I'd appreciate your opinion on which approach you find the most efficient in terms of time needed to complete the jobs...thanks

Harry0
03-26-2004, 07:25 AM
I do it both ways. But with the waves I would mulch first because of the low spreading habit they have. It would be a pain to mulch around them. -Come to think of it I mulch first 90% of the time-when I dont I usually dont have the mulch on site-Harry

GarPA
03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
yeah thats why I do the mulch first....but if I remember right, most people told me its easier to do the flowers first...I;m always open to new ways to improve efficiency,

D Felix
03-26-2004, 01:11 PM
If the pots are small, it's easier to mulch first. Faster too.

Even if the pots are large, and you have a lot to plant, it's still easier to mulch first, scrape back the mulch, then plant.

For smaller annual pots, get a soil knife from AM Leonard. You can stick it straight into the ground, wiggle it back and forth, then just pop the flower right in. No digging.

Dan

Zach76
03-26-2004, 03:29 PM
For any small plants that are going in close together, I usually put the container over the plant to cover it and just dump mulch on top of them. You can spread it around without damaging the plant, and then you just grab the containers and mulch falls in around the plant.