PDA

View Full Version : Tree reomval price

desertrat
03-26-2004, 07:50 AM
I am bidding a tree removal job and need help with pricing. 3-mature Olive trees around 40ft high. Trunks are between 2-3ft dia. The customer wants them cut down and stump ground. They are in grass, and some roots are out of the ground and spread out 6ft from the tree. I figure 2 trailer loads for each tree. I plan on doing it with myself and one worker, taking 3 days to complete. Dumping will eat up a lot of time. 2 days to cut down and remove and one day to stump grind. My price
$500 to remove each tree
$300 to stump grind each tree
$2400 total

$300 labor
$150 stump grinder rental
$60 dump fees
$60 gas
$570 total costs
$1830 profit

Does that sound about right?

D Felix
03-26-2004, 01:03 PM
I think we've covered this before, but if you have to ask about pricing for tree removal, I have to ask about your ability to do the work in a safe manner....

If you have to ask, some little bell goes off in my head saying you probably are not very experienced at this, and it would be be for you to sub this out to a qualified tree company and take a small profit in the form of a mark-up. Or just be honest with the client and tell them that you don't believe you can do this in a safe manner and refer them on.

40' trees can do a fair amount of damage, especially if they are as big of diameter as you say.

Are you insured to do this? Are you sure you are? Insurance rates generally tend to go up when things are coming down....

Even if you think you are qualified, are you familiar with OSHA regulations, and the ANSI standards (A300, Z133) covering tree care?

My advice would be to call a qualified arborist. I'll even help you out. Go to http://www.isa-arbor.com, and once you get inside the site, click the "find an arborist" link. Start calling those that show up....

Dan

desertrat
03-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Yea, you are right. There aren't too many big trees to remove here is Tucson, and I do mainly landscape installs. I have never done a job as big as this before, and have decided to let someone else do it. I have removed mesquites and smaller trees, but they were pretty easy. I will stay away from this job and stick to what I know. Thanks

Willmow4dough
03-27-2004, 12:57 AM
You're on the money. I would have bid $2300.

Cleatus
03-27-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by D Felix
If you have to ask, some little bell goes off in my head saying you probably are not very experienced at this, and it would be be for you to sub this out to a qualified tree companyDan

yes, and if only everyone would follow this advice, then eventually, all the people with experience will grow old and die, and because people with no or little experience should never try it, there will be no one left take any trees down.

desertrat, how much does your landfill charge per ton? $60 for 3 40' trees seems a little low to me.

desertrat
03-27-2004, 08:42 PM
i may be off on the weight of the trees, but the dumps charge $23 a ton, but when they are in a good mood they charge a flat $10 rate for "green".

polecat63
03-31-2004, 02:05 PM
Some more advice here. Rent a chipper or you'll eat all your profits up with labor trying to haul all that green. Get the biggest one you can find, or call around to see if someone will chip and haul for you. (a couple of peeps here make good money doing only that). If the trees are close to obstruction they will need to be cut from the top, down. If you don't have the equipment and basic knowledge don't even consider doing it. Trees are dangerous, and unforgiving of even a minor mistake. I'm not sure how dense olive trees are, but you're prolly looking at as much as 300 lbs per lin. foot(at the base if 30"). Or as little as 150 if its soft like pine. A ten foot section falling from 40' makes a great recking ball. Also, keep in mind the weight when figuring you dump fees. We have a place here that charges by the load and my fees would still be closer to $300 for that job, plus hauling.

With a chipper I'd charge at least $650 per tree, and much more it the canopy is wide, and/or they are near a house or power line, PLUS disposal. Without a chipper you'll prolly have to eat some of the labor with all those trips to the dump.

I charged $2400 for a 40' Oak tree last year, between two buildings and a 45' canopy. It almost wasn't worth it even at that price. Stump grinding, I sub it out and charge an average of $5 to $7 per inch of diameter, extra for chasing roots. There is a ton of comp here for grinding, so you may be able to charge more. Also, what are you going to do with the grindings from the roots. They will have to be removed and the ground leveled.

Not being able to see the trees, and not knowing your level of confidence, I would bid closer to $3000 for that job. Some uninsured schmuck might beat my price, but...let the buyer beware.

D Felix
04-01-2004, 07:13 PM
yes, and if only everyone would follow this advice, then eventually, all the people with experience will grow old and die, and because people with no or little experience should never try it, there will be no one left take any trees down.
Ahhhhh, but you see, there are many young'uns coming into tree care every day. These young'uns are learning from the experienced masters. So, the trade will continue. Just like landscaping, there's always young and dumb ones to do the laborious stuff.:D

I say all that and I'm only 25!:D:D

If you don't have the experience, knowledge and training, you have no business running a chainsaw, let alone doing a full out tree removal... Go do some reading here: http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=23 for some reasons as to why this is and will ALWAYS be true....

Dan